Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

Ha ha, no I was in the US for 5 months as an expat and me and wife tried to travel as much as we could, did a two day stint in Vegas while we toured the west coast..

I'm using a Nikon D5100, the pro's will call it a toy but I've been having loads of fun with it..have the 18-55 lens that came with the camera and then a 70-300mm which I bought additional (for wifey to take video/pics of me on the bike/windsurfer..)

Ja nee kyk Vegas was odd, was good times but won't go back just for Vegas...they gave me and my wife cards with "working" women on with no clothes..even when we walk hand in hand down the strip...was woes :eek:

and Oh..JDR..one day when I'm big..and have a 4x4..I wanna do that!! looks awesome!

Nothing wrong with that camera boet.. Its not about the camera anyway.. :thumbup:

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guys, on the film SLR, the ISO related to the grain on the film, and hence how much light was needed before exposure.

How does this work with the digital SLR's?

It's pretty close to film ISO... the sensor in a DSLR is optimized to give you the best image quality at the lowest ISO (50-100 in most cases). As you bump up the ISO, you push the sensitivity of the sensor up and introduce digital noise in the image

guys, on the film SLR, the ISO related to the grain on the film, and hence how much light was needed before exposure.

Good question, ISO refers to the sensitivity of the Film to light..hence the higher the ISO the more sensitive, the less time(exposure) is needed..with DSLR's I guess this refers to the sensor and it's sensitivity towards light...you still loose some sharpness, (more "noise"), when you bump up the ISO on DSLRs too...

But from a technical perspective...not sure what causes it in DSLR...

Damit, too slow..geecee beat me to it...

Edited by lock

But its not the same "grain".. That old school grain used to give photo's so much life.. Its not possible to achieve that these days.. Imagine that Hector Pieterson photo in perfect quality.. I dont think it would be the same....

Just a thought..

But its not the same "grain".. That old school grain used to give photo's so much life.. Its not possible to achieve that these days.. Imagine that Hector Pieterson photo in perfect quality.. I dont think it would be the same....

Just a thought..

Jup, I agree but you can probably re-create that grain with some editing software...

When I was in the US I went into a gallery of Peter Lik, the guy takes the most detailed/sharp pictures..pretty amazing!! One of his photos sold for $1mil..

Link to the pic.. http://www.peterlikexposed.com/archives/237

Edited by lock

Thought I'd post another picture of a strange place - the Windpomp Museum in Loeriesfontein. It's a weird mix of scrapyard and monument to the machine that made those desolate parts of the world inhabitable. I just liked the composition for some reason.

post-17716-0-30374500-1340376662.jpg

I took this picture(HDR) of Kalk Bay a while back...

post-35416-0-23151300-1340433933.jpg

You got so many things just right in this photo that it is truly impressive.

I go to Kalk Bay very often and I've seen it in all sorts of bad moods but never as beautiful as this.

Nice work.

You got so many things just right in this photo that it is truly impressive.

I go to Kalk Bay very often and I've seen it in all sorts of bad moods but never as beautiful as this.

Nice work.

Thanks. It takes a lot of patience and sometimes many visits to the same place to get the right conditions. I use the free desktop tool from http://photoephemeris.com/ to plan most of my early morning / late evening shots. A great tool for landscape photography.