Which brakes do you think are the best?

glorykid

i just got formula oro and and facebook been discussing pros and cons ect so what you guy's think ?

Guest agteros

I reelly do not know witch breaks are the bestest for yoo.

what is the help topic for the facebook advice on these?

Which Avids?

umm... I'd go with Avids (almost regardless) if Formula vs Avid are your only 2 choices.

I have Formula Oro Puro's on my 4X bike. The Puro's are supposed to be the top model in the Oro range, and to be honest, I don't think much of them. I once had Avid Juicy 5's (nothing fancy) on a FR bike, and thought they were rather nice! Good feel, good stopping power. Parts are easily available.

On my DH bike I have Hayes Stroker Trails. Tons of stopping power, but very little feel... so also not recommended.

My choice if I could go for any brakes... Hope Tech X2's for my 4X bike and Hope Tech V2's for my DH bike.

But yeah... again... not that huge on the Formula Oro brakes

Edited by patches

simon22,

Try and get a copy of the March 2011 What Mountain Bike Magazine (UK). There was a detailed review of disk brake setups.

Winner was Shimano Deore M595! This was based on value/price & performance criteria.

Ok there Morwa got you the info you needed . The reason for choosing Shimano is that it works with Mineral Oil where the other brakes uses Normal DOT whatever brake fluid . Now Mr Bornman will most probable agree on this but on the mineral systems your maintenance are much lower . It's a lot easier on seals and the other moving parts . I am always very amused when I read the reviews on Brakes . You can only stop so fast , anything faster and you will fly over the bars , if your brakes gets to hot then learn how to ride properly , if you want ligter got for a extra sh@t etc .

Ok there Morwa got you the info you needed . The reason for choosing Shimano is that it works with Mineral Oil where the other brakes uses Normal DOT whatever brake fluid . Now Mr Bornman will most probable agree on this but on the mineral systems your maintenance are much lower . It's a lot easier on seals and the other moving parts . I am always very amused when I read the reviews on Brakes . You can only stop so fast , anything faster and you will fly over the bars , if your brakes gets to hot then learn how to ride properly , if you want ligter got for a extra sh@t etc .

What the what?! dry.gif

Love the Hope tech X2's on my trail bike and the XT's on my single speed.

2011 XTRs. True one finger braking, fantastic modulation.

Apparently the technology will trickle down to XT in 2012...

Dirt-rider, I only commented on the article. Being a newby myself, I found the article fascinating. I’m currently running a full SLX setup. My personal opinion is that it’s the best value/performance setup. Need to loose the xtra 10kg on my Camel Front first (....luckily I have a Camel Bak as a counter balance) before a XTR/XX or X0 setup will improve on my race times.

I’m currently running a full SLX setup.

Don't fret about riding SLX - when it first came out many people thought it was better than the XT offering of the time!

Value for money SLX is almost impossible to beat.

It's gonna take alot for me to change from my XTs. Crazy braking power with the lever only moving about 10mm with new pads.

Don't fret about riding SLX - when it first came out many people thought it was better than the XT offering of the time!

Value for money SLX is almost impossible to beat.

amen! I run an SLX shadow RD on my DH bike... I have a Saint, and yes, it's uber-cool... but I'll cry if it gets forcibly removed by a rock. The SLX is robust, shifts well, stiff spring, and cost me less than half of what the Saint did.

I've never used their brakes, but if they're anything like the RD, then they should be great. SLX is highly underrated.