MTB tyres - which?

Wisdom

I have a Merida TFS800 hard tail - with standard rims but with tubeless fitted. Live in Centurion and do most of the races around Gauteng. So no 'real' single track very technical cruises. I also do not race for a place - quick but want to have fun. I need to purchase new tyres - either tubeless or not. I want to buy tyres that have little drag - but is strong enough to withstand sidewall cuts. Do i go wide, thin, or??

HELP...as some of the salespeople in the shops do not have a clue - as they need to sell whats in the shop.

PS - where do i get the best prices?

Same bike and I fitted Geax tubeless. Love them! Saguaro 2.2 front AKA 2.2 back. They have a strong side wall. Grip is also amazing! Go browse on the website Geax. Best price by far that I could find in SA, CWC

Schwalbe racing ralph at the back with a little albert up front.

Spend the cash and get the snakeskin versions, well worth it.

As the guys said CWC and CRC are you best bets.

Depending on your budget, shop around and get steel bead Crossmarks for around R220-250.

Same with the Larsens.

I dont know how "good" the Schwalbe Smart Sams are that I bought a month ago, but I got them (wire bead) for R295-00 for both at South Bay Cycles in Centurion. They seem grippy. Took a 2.1 back and 2.25 for front. Will fit them in a about a month's time.

Edited by RudoJ

Depending on your budget, shop around and get steel bead Crossmarks for around R220-250.

Same with the Larsens.

+1 Crossmarks are the de facto tyre for Gauteng. Grippy and tought and not too bad in the summer wet.

Can't go wrong with a set of them!

To All that responded...thank you...

Pricing i got is for the Crossmark 2.25 (non tubeless) from Cajees for R350 / tyre - without discount. Is the tubeless 'thing' that much of an issue when you pay R200 / tyre less? Price of the tubeless is R550 / tyre?

CWC Online does the CrossMark UST Tyres (cadence classic energy?) for R700 for a set of 2 - how good is this?

Tubed has nothing on tubeless. The difference is well worth the extra cash, in my opinion. So much better in terms of grip (you can run lower pressures without having to worry, thereby giving you extra grip)

To All that responded...thank you...

Pricing i got is for the Crossmark 2.25 (non tubeless) from Cajees for R350 / tyre - without discount. Is the tubeless 'thing' that much of an issue when you pay R200 / tyre less? Price of the tubeless is R550 / tyre?

CWC Online does the CrossMark UST Tyres (cadence classic energy?) for R700 for a set of 2 - how good is this?

Get Crossmarks. It will be difficult to find better value for money. They will outlast three sets of Ralphs. Support CWC. Try to get the combo where they include Stans in the place of the energy drink.

I bought a UST Schwalbe Rocket Ron for the front, as the Non UST version let me down in the Lionman. I tried fitting them on my Spark 10, DT swiss factory fitted rims, they will not seat properly as the bead is too thick, I have not tried them on my other DT Swiss 1540's yet, they have a slightly higher side wall. Has anyone else had fitment experience of Schwalbe UST tyres?

I bought a UST Schwalbe Rocket Ron for the front, as the Non UST version let me down in the Lionman. I tried fitting them on my Spark 10, DT swiss factory fitted rims, they will not seat properly as the bead is too thick, I have not tried them on my other DT Swiss 1540's yet, they have a slightly higher side wall. Has anyone else had fitment experience of Schwalbe UST tyres?

I have not tried Schwalbe ust tires. But this I can tell you. Seating the Crossmark ust on a Stans Crest rim can be challenging. The bead socket tech of the Crest rims provides quite a shallow ridge. Getting the ust tire to seat INTO the groove takes careful inflation. I have read somewhere that Mr Stan does not recommend UST's for these rims?

Edited by Goodbadugly

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I’ve decided on Crossmark.

But which one? Crossmark, Crossmark LUST or Crossmark Exception series