ON UNRIDEABLE CLIMBS DO YOU PUSH OR CARRY?

Lucky Fish

......and saw that on some of the very steep uphill sections some cyclists opted for pushing their bikes and others carried their bikes. Which is more energy efficient?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest agteros

My mountain bike is SO heavy, I have to drag it up the hills

could probably run faster whilst carrying - easier to balance (from personal experience) but then haven't tried it. School sports days never had the Bike carry push race.

If the track is smooth I push. If rough I carry

Ditto!

The section where the iron pegs stood out (where the stairs used to be) i opted to hike my bike on the shoulder. Anywhere else you coulda pushed where needed :)

Depends on the track - if it's relatively smooth and your front wheel won't hang up then run whilst pushing.

If the rocks/bumps get too big then it's onto the shoulder cyclocross style...

Guest agteros

When I run out of gears I just run up the hill.

That Is AFTER you break the singlespeed chain?

If i cant pedal dammit, I push..... :P and if the obstacles r too big to push, then the guy in front of me carries my bike :D

It definitely depends on your build and type of other training you do.

I prefer to carry, my bike across my shoulders and walk up straight. It gives my neck and lower back a bit of a change from the bent over position as well as the fact that I find it more energy efficient for me.

I am used to carrying tackle and punching bags so the extra few kilos on my bag does not hurt nearly as much is walking with twisted back pushing my bike at a funny angle.

If you a fairly fit runner, whipping your bike onto your shoulders and running some of those steep climbs may have actually improved your times... specially with people walking on the nice line any way.

Well it depends how far that Climb is into the race. If closer to the end, then I even battle to push the bike. Damn !!!

I throw mine ahead of me and walk up to it, repeating the action until either the bike or I reaching failing point :D :)

Edited by EigerSA

If i cant pedal dammit, I push..... :P and if the obstacles r too big to push, then the guy in front of me carries my bike :D

I so want boobs when I'm reincarnated!

Even some climbs that people consider ridable in a granny gear, I'll hop off and push. I feel that in some cases, a rider could climb faster and with less energy by pushing, then by sikkeling in a granny gear...

hence Rene Wildhaber (multiple Megavalanche champion) doing it in a race

post-10758-0-05962000-1306763375.jpg

and when the terrain is just too much... rack it DH/FR style... across ones back:

post-10758-0-18835400-1306763428.jpg

That is a very sensible strategy... the best part is that I am sure the guy in front of you is only too eager to prove his manliness that he will carry it.

My girlfriend conned me into carrying, washing and servicing her bike all the time... damn I am an idiot!

I will carry your bike...might need CPR at the top though :thumbup: