Medal or Not

Breezer

117 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a medal after a race?

• Yes
    • No

My friend did his first 35km mtb event this weekend. He suffered a lot and wanted to turn around at 6km. I had to encourage and help him all the way. When he eventually finished he was shredded. The moment he received his medal his whole face changed. That was his reward for all the suffering. He cant wait for the next race. That is why I want one.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Medals 0-20 Aweomse!

20-50 Nice.

50-100 Ok.

100-200 Hmmm what am I going to do with these things?

200-300 Sjoe this old shoe box is getting heavy.

>300 Anyone want a few hundred medals*

* no really - I have a few shoe boxes filled with old medals...

Medals 0-20 Aweomse!

20-50 Nice.

50-100 Ok.

100-200 Hmmm what am I going to do with these things?

200-300 Sjoe this old shoe box is getting heavy.

>300 Anyone want a few hundred medals*

* no really - I have a few shoe boxes filled with old medals...

Me and the wife both cycle so we get double the medals!!!

There are a few one's I will keep: Like my single Argus one. My wife has a gold one which she got at Northern farms last year.

My friends think it is flipping cool. Maybe one day our children will think the same.

The first few are nice but then it just becomes another piece of junk. Like when people ask you if you've done the Argus/94.7 (the non-cycling public don't know there are other races out there) and you comment that you ride further on your training rides.

Me and the wife both cycle so we get double the medals!!!

There are a few one's I will keep: Like my single Argus one. My wife has a gold one which she got at Northern farms last year.

My friends think it is flipping cool. Maybe one day our children will think the same.

I took my 10 favourite and hung them on the book shelf next to my permanently installed IDT. My little cycling shrine.

It does get kinda silly when you look at a medal and ask "WTF was this race?" though.

Medals are the worst kind of suply and demand - at first they are hugely valuable - then their value declines exponentially as they enter an over supply situation...

Yup, the first couple of times you receive one is quite nice ... BUT ...

if you werent 1st, 2nd or 3rd, they dont mean jack! Who cares if you were 26432th in the World Funride Championships?

What does they guy get in 4th place at the Olympics? Not even a pat on the back or a mention in the record books :P

Keep the medal and give me a beer! :thumbup:

This fred should be asking what are your most fav medals and why?

I like the "limited edition" medals - got a few from provincials and nationals that are quite special to me.

Then I added a few that have sentimental value like Sani2c, my SabieX cup, Etap du Tour, Tour of the North and some races I did in the UK - those kinds of things.

My friends check out the medals and trophies and ask if I'm going to do the Tour de France next year as a 39 year old... Ahh how little civilians know about cycling...

It's quite motivational I find - whenever I walk past my bike room and see what I've accomplished I'm inclined to train a little harder or not miss a session. Try it - this may help you with your problem getting out of a cold bed in the morning ;)

Due to my relative non-committal attitude to training hard, every medals is evidence of hard battle :o Who cares if 28000 others have the same.....I had to work my butt off. Maybe if I was riding 30 races a year and consistently getting within 3 hrs I might be nonchalant, but I fight for a 5 hr finish, so I want that proof :thumbup: :clap:

Edited by DaLoCo

I need an 'it depends' option.

For me, the actual act of receiving a medal has only been meaningful when I feel I've earned it and they weren't just given to everyone - mostly rowing medals from SA Champs, SASSU and Boatrace. These are medals I've actually worn, rather than just putting them into my pocket.

But there are still some cycling races where I do want to get a medal as a memento to mark the race. I still treasure the finishers medal I got from my first cycle race just because of the memories. Other medals are great because they remind me of particularly fun or beautiful races. Others are just cheap and generic and get thrown away.

Keep the medal and give me a beer! :thumbup:

Who says you can't have both?

After we got our medals for finishing the Seerundlauf Hallstattersee in Austria a month ago, we were offered a couple of bananas, energy drink... and beer on tap.

Oh, and the London Marathon goody bag (the super-duper one before the race, as opposed to the super-duper one after the race) contained a couple of cans of a quite palatable brew.

Before anyone asks, no, we're not copying this at Journey For Sight next year - not without a significant increase in entry fee, anyway...

P.S. I kind of like medals, but that's probably because I haven't got many of them.

Only take the one at the Jock. Its earned and has a Staffie on it!!

+1

Everytime I see my Jock medal I think that I should maybe get a road bike again.

One of my favourite races to date, road and mtb included.