What USA bike stores will ship a frame to SA

mark ellis

Sorry Andy,you obviously work for Spez or have not done your homework.Check out the US prices of Specialized and you will see you local guys are charging around R10/11-$.A local shop here in CT (non dealer)is bringing in frames,has stock and selling them 10K less than the specialized dealers.Just shows you how much the local agent is raping you.

I am busy looking into bring a Spez in. Have managed to arrange the shipping. How did you manage to get the VAT and the duty issues resolved, or didn't you. Paying on the full amount kills the viability of it.

I want to buy a Spez S-works epic 29er - the lum yellow and grey frame. cant get this color in SA and cant get stock of the one we can get anyway.

I know Spex SA will not cover frame warrenty but not worried about that as will have it insured.

Anybody know of any bike shops I could try buy from in the States?

help will be much appretiated!!

Hi Mark

Send you a PM...

thanks for all the help guys, hopefully on the right track now, will you posted for interest sake!

I wonder how many okes have actually gone and bought another brand bike/frame because they can't get what they want here in SA ?

Local suppliers again shooting themselves in the foot it seems <_<

Anybody know of any bike shops I could try buy from in the States?

Have a look at Australian shops,you will be surprised at the prices and it's the same region as SA so specs will be the same as SA bikes.

Have a look at Australian shops,you will be surprised at the prices and it's the same region as SA so specs will be the same as SA bikes.

I tried the Australian route, not too much success and that was just for a saddle. They all said the same thing, they will not ship Specialized. The prices are great, ask Eldron to ship one ;)

I managed to buy a Toupe saddle from Sigma Sport in the UK a couple of years ago. Not sure if they still do Specialized online though.

Try ebay

If you buy on eBay pay through pay pal and that way you are covered if anything goes wrong!!

I am busy looking into bring a Spez in. Have managed to arrange the shipping. How did you manage to get the VAT and the duty issues resolved, or didn't you. Paying on the full amount kills the viability of it.

Wow! Almost like paying all your income tax is not a viable option?

The official importers pay VAT and duties, that is probably the difference in price...

I never really saved anything buying overseas. The local Spez prices aren't much more than overseas, but they just never seem to have stock of anything i'm looking for. So for me, it was an issue of availability, not price.

Edited by velo

Sorry Andy,you obviously work for Spez or have not done your homework.Check out the US prices of Specialized and you will see you local guys are charging around R10/11-$.A local shop here in CT (non dealer)is bringing in frames,has stock and selling them 10K less than the specialized dealers.Just shows you how much the local agent is raping you.

Stringbean, I am guessing, but have you done your homework. I recently built two S-Works bikes, a Tarmac and a Stumpy 29er, and got the frames from local agents at around the same price as advertised on the USA website. I mainain a good relationship with my local bike shop, and obviously reap the benefits. Maybe your LBS saw you comming and loaded the price!