Crankbrothers Cobalt XC wheelset

Jaco-fiets

Anyone on the hub with a wheelset like this? I would like your opinion pls.

I bought the black and gold cobalt wheelset end last year. Did mostly road riding in beginning of the year so did not use it much. The freewheelbody packed up about 2 months back without even 500km on the clock and with no riding in wet conditions. Took it back and they "replaced" the freewheelbody for me. 5 rides later and (still no muddy conditions) and the thing makes the weirdest noises. When you push the bike the pedals turn which is a indication for me that the freewheelbody is faulty again.

The wheelset looks spectacular on my scott scale rc but so far it must be the worst wheelset i have ever owned. Any of you have simular experience with this wheelset or is this just a isolated case and this truely is a amazing wheelset.

Also, how many times should i take it back until i could start to demand a different wheelset without being a total "dick" about it?

I bought the black and gold cobalt wheelset end last year. Did mostly road riding in beginning of the year so did not use it much. The freewheelbody packed up about 2 months back without even 500km on the clock and with no riding in wet conditions. Took it back and they "replaced" the freewheelbody for me. 5 rides later and (still no muddy conditions) and the thing makes the weirdest noises. When you push the bike the pedals turn which is a indication for me that the freewheelbody is faulty again.

The wheelset looks spectacular on my scott scale rc but so far it must be the worst wheelset i have ever owned. Any of you have simular experience with this wheelset or is this just a isolated case and this truely is a amazing wheelset.

Also, how many times should i take it back until i could start to demand a different wheelset without being a total "dick" about it?

Demand new wheels. The CB received a crapy review in MBUK, had to do with the freehub sealing and weight. my opinion.... Get ZTR laced to hope hubs.

Jaco

you can always contact the importer directly and I'm sure they will see to your problem

you're in luck, the importer is me :)

it sounds to me like you have had the old freewheel (version 1) body replaced with the new one (version 2).

the noise and pedals turning you are now experiencing may be either:

the seal is not tucked into the recess of the hub and is caught between your cassette and the hub body,

or the spacers between the cassette and the frewheel body have not been inserted.

it's more than likely the former

give me a call on my office line 0861 2424 83 if you need any further help

Shamus

BICICLETTA

www.bicicletta.co.za

that sucks!

They sure look really good though...

Saw a GT Zaskar at FPC with a set of blue Cobalts...

hope you manage to sort the issue out...

With a local agent that trawls the Hub and listens, and responds to user issues, you cannot seem to go wrong. Nice one Shamus. Give that man a B.. No a Guinnes

Jaco

you can always contact the importer directly and I'm sure they will see to your problem

you're in luck, the importer is me :)

it sounds to me like you have had the old freewheel (version 1) body replaced with the new one (version 2).

the noise and pedals turning you are now experiencing may be either:

the seal is not tucked into the recess of the hub and is caught between your cassette and the hub body,

or the spacers between the cassette and the frewheel body have not been inserted.

it's more than likely the former

give me a call on my office line 0861 2424 83 if you need any further help

Shamus

BICICLETTA

www.bicicletta.co.za

Thanks bud! I'll give you a call today or tomorow

Hi Shamus,

I have the new 29er Cobalts.

Have you got any spare spokes that i can buy.

Seamus ONeill

Botswana

Unfortunately they do have reliability issues. Buddy of mine had the same problems as you. A friend of mine who owns a bike shop refuses to sell these wheels to me, as a result of all the troubles the wheels give. So ja, not such good news. These wheels look fantastic, but at the end of the day it's no use if they don't work. Makes me think that it's a case of style over substance.

I took the wheel to my local bike shop this morning (not the shop i bought the set at) so the mechanic could just take a peak and see what is up. Maybe it is something like Shamus stated above and can be easily rectified. The guy phoned me and took pictures. It was all clogged up on the inside. Remember that this was replaced with a new freehub in April and probably only did about 5 rides since. He cleaned it and i paid and its running smooth now.

Now what worries me. If this wheel was sended in and the freehub replaced then the new freehub still does not seal tight enough or the bikeshop did not send the wheel in and they just gave it a quick once over themselves.

I'll give Shamus a call tomorow. At least now he knows about my issue. One can only struggle with the same problem so many times. Sure as hell dont feel like servicing the thing or replacing the freehub 3 or more times per year.

Big up to Shamus for offering me assitence. That is the kind of agent i like!