Which tire is best?

Shortpants

Hi,

I want to upgrade to some new tires. I did some research and have 3 options, but I’m still not sure what would be the best. That’s why I’m asking for some advice.

• Continental Race King Protection

• Schwable Racing Ralph Double Defense

• Specialized Renegade Control

I currently have Larsen TT LUST on my wheels, but it’s too heavy and the cornering ability is not as good as I would like.

Any suggestions?

First question - 26' or 29'

next question - how worried are you about weight?

I just put a set of Schwalbe RR evo's on my 29r, snakeskin were just too heavy!

Hi,

I want to upgrade to some new tires. I did some research and have 3 options, but I’m still not sure what would be the best. That’s why I’m asking for some advice.

• Continental Race King Protection

• Schwable Racing Ralph Double Defense

• Specialized Renegade Control

I currently have Larsen TT LUST on my wheels, but it’s too heavy and the cornering ability is not as good as I would like.

Any suggestions?

On all reviews I've read of Racing Ralph's, the common feedback is that they're not good in cornering. Yes, they are fast tires, but traction not so great so think twice about putting them on the front. Maybe keep on the rear and then 2.2 Mountain King on the front?

Edit: Or (as another thread suggests) Mountain King 2.4's. But then that brings us back to Pappa Bear's question.

Edited by tombeej

First tell us what bike you ride, what your riding style is and where you prefer to ride.....

Riding a Raleigh RM X.O frame with Mavic Crosstrail 26" wheelset, I'm currently a student so I am trying to train enough to be a bit competitive, these tires would then mainly be for racing.

Thanks

Riding a Raleigh RM X.O frame with Mavic Crosstrail 26" wheelset, I'm currently a student so I am trying to train enough to be a bit competitive, these tires would then mainly be for racing.

Thanks

I bought some Richey WCS Z-Max Shields the other day and have been very impressed so far. Similar looking to Conti Race Kings, with slightly more aggressive cornering knobs. Good rolling resistance, decent sidewall protection, fairly light weight @540g and good value @R350 per tire. Also tubeless ready, so easy to fit to mavic UST rims. No apparent downside yet

Stuck with the same problem. Need to replace my current ‘Hutchinson Pythons’ but can not fork out R790 / tyre. Asked a good friend of mine that did most of the races in SA (twice). He made quite a study on tyres and he recons the best all rounder is the ‘Maxxis Cross mark’. Not o mention the mere R270 / tyre.

I am also looking at the Conti Mountain Kings but need a little convincing after reading some reviews on it.

Any meanings out there on the Maxxis?

• 2 weeks later...

Pity you went to all this trouble to reseach and left the best tyres out . Kenda's WTB Velocicraptors.