why no 29er on DH rigs

Stevief

That's my pleasure!

Where WE normally stay, and with our big group plus the bikes we like to hire etc, it's prudent to book well in advance. Also, when 10 guys from all parts of the globe need to meet in 1 place for 2 weeks, it helps to book in advance. Also, flights are cheaper booked in advance.

Yes it is prudent. Yes it is cheaper. You could also do it a month in advance and you'll be just fine. Fact.

Bye.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that greg and cedric both love their 29er trail and XC bikes - but still go back to 26 for DH ... that has to say something for the manoverability (Not the straight line flow) of the 26 in the tech stuff

So im changin a wheel at minnaars pre the 2010 Sani, Peaty and Gregg are there, Im wondering why he's stripping his top of the range tallboy (29er) and putting the parts on a LTC(26er)? In Gregg's own words "it doesn't go up hills". Kina tells you something about a bike half of joees rides.

Perhaps they just love them cos they're free?

Fact is, after all has been said and done, and we have (and will for many moons) argued this point 29" DH will still come. Whether they are better of faster, makes more sense, is more efficient or not - they will come. We've been arguing and discussing the strength and gayness of carbon, and they came. Whether we like it or not.

Why? Because that"s what will get sold to us in the media and on the pro circuit. For now lets's forget about the inch topic, half of what we ride...heck, 3/4 of what we ride is because that's we were sold onto and into. If and when a bike gets designed to be PROPERLY optimized, we will argue head angle and BB height. And as soon as the news drop of the next best thing forums will be ablaze with whether it can take a longer travel fork cause most riders foolishly believe more travel = something mythical.

So. A couple of years from now there WILL BE 29" DH bikes. And it won't be long before they'll be on the pro circuit. Cause 1) manufacturer X needs to sell them and he's only going to be able to that as long as his top rider is riding it and 2) RIDER Y's opinion is largely dependent on the size of his cheque. That's how it is. The few pro sportsmen out there willing to speak their mind is not around for too long. Team managers grow tired of them and sponsors grow gatvol of them.

On a side note: rims have been optimized for years and years around a 26" design. Getting it right for 29" is not that far off. Same with forks and other bits and pieces. The revolution will be quicker than one's in the passed as our sport has become more advanced and technical. But be weary of manufacturers simply adapting a 26" bike to accommodate 29" wheels. It's not that easy, and plenty people will rather make the money than put a descent bike on the shelve.

So im changin a wheel at minnaars pre the 2010 Sani, Peaty and Gregg are there, Im wondering why he's stripping his top of the range tallboy (29er) and putting the parts on a LTC(26er)? In Gregg's own words "it doesn't go up hills". Kina tells you something about a bike half of joees rides.

Perhaps they just love them cos they're free?

I think you hit it on the button right there Schmoose ... hahaha ... Free is cool - but chatting to Gracia he does like his tallboy a lot. But again it comes down to your riding style and where and what you ride.

Guest Omega Man

So. A couple of years from now there WILL BE 29" DH bikes. And it won't be long before they'll be on the pro circuit. Cause 1) manufacturer X needs to sell them and he's only going to be able to that as long as his top rider is riding it and 2) RIDER Y's opinion is largely dependent on the size of his cheque. That's how it is. The few pro sportsmen out there willing to speak their mind is not around for too long. Team managers grow tired of them and sponsors grow gatvol of them.

Well said. But can we please get back to attacking each other? That's more entertaining.

Guys guys guys...

Please let us not forget, our SPORT is for all of us, having fun, TOGETHER.

So let us stop measuring,...well..., wheel-sizes (in this instance), and just have some fun.

Let us not forget the quote from the "Godfather" of the modern mountain bike (be is 26', 27,5", 29"), Gary Fisher,

"Anybody who rides a bike is a friend of mine." ©

Lets keep em Rolling...

If the DH brigade spent more than 5 min riding down hill, with their motor cross uniforms on ,pretending to be Pastrana they too would need bum cream!

So keep telling yourselves that 29er's won't rule, that's what they said about 29 er's in The Epic!! If you are not worried about your 26er becoming a has been, why bitch and moan about 29er's- worry I tell you!:blush:

THE EPIC!! bwhahahahahahaaaa, this day just keeps getting better and better. I heard they sea freighted in extra barrels of bum cream for that one.

We're talking DH here. NOT the Epic. Mr.G, you know what downhill is right? 'cos Pastrana's into MX. DH clothing isnt MX clothing. It's purpose made. Like I said earlier, it will be the best day to see the lycra boys all creamed up at the top of the downhill. I'd bet by the time the first guy falls and rips his bib, smashes his face into a tree and grazes his capped knees off, the rest of the clan will sneak off down the fire road whistling that 'big boys DO cry' tune.

Guest Omega Man

I just want to say. I'm going to Morzine next week. Over.

REALLY REALLY REALLY well put CROW ... thats exactly what it comes down to ... every pro will ALWAYS say that teh bike he/she is on is the best ... they have to! even if they are being paid to ride a piece of turd!

As you say there will be 29er DH bikes ... but i just personally doubt that they will "take over" as everyone here in SA talks about. As i said (and you did too) previously it comes down to the markets and what the manufacturers want to sell! It s just funny how its only here in SA that so many people think that the 29er is going to rule and 26 will be obsolete ... look at the WC XC races and you'll see that the riders chop and change between 29 and 26 dependant on the course. The same will probably happen with DH. And then you might find the UCI will bring in wheel size restrictions in classes like they did in DH with the 24inch wheel in the early 2000's

so then we may see 29er classses and 26er classes at world cups ... more to watch = COOL :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

The reason there are no 29er DH bikes on the WC circuit is because they make you look like a circus clown. And Downhillers are very image conscious.

Er... I saw your disclaimer, but I'm not sure whether you're actually serious this time regarding the circus clown comment? Because that's the main reason why you will NEVER EVER see me on 29'r. It just looks stupid. :blink:

Guys guys guys...

Please let us not forget, our SPORT is for all of us, having fun, TOGETHER.

So let us stop measuring,...well..., wheel-sizes (in this instance), and just have some fun.

Let us not forget the quote from the "Godfather" of the modern mountain bike (be is 26', 27,5", 29"), Gary Fisher,

"Anybody who rides a bike is a friend of mine." ©

Lets keep em Rolling...

Best quote ever! ... but dude we are having fun ... its just interesting seeing guys perceptions of the industry and where its going ... and then comparing how the markets differ throughout the world.

Guest Omega Man

Downhill is a completely different sport to XC.

It's the same as the difference between body boarders and stand up surfers. They have different equipment needs and so do we.

Oh. Next week I'm going to Morzine for 2 weeks to go mountain biking . Did I mention that?

Edited by Omega Man

So let me answer the Thread question: there are no 29'er DH bikes yet cause

a) wheel design needs to catch up first. RIMS and spokes need a lot of redesign to work for 29'ers

B) suspension design needs to be optimized

c) bike geo needs to be changed quite a bit to get the best out of bikes ( lets not forget that the bulk of bikes out there still gets a geo tweak almost every year in an effort to find the holy grail)

d) forks and shock as we know it needs a rethink

e) tyre design needs a lot of work. You cannot simply shrink and stretch these things. Manufacturers do, and we fall for it, but it doesn't work like that

And then, and only then can we start looking at components and setup. And again, there won't be boxes and boxes of these sold until it's won something on the DH pro circuit - and for THAT to happen 29'er design needs A LOT of work and money.

Guest Omega Man

Er... I saw your disclaimer, but I'm not sure whether you're actually serious this time regarding the circus clown comment? Because that's the main reason why you will NEVER EVER see me on 29'r. It just looks stupid. :blink:

When I see someone on a 29er I have an almost uncontrollable urge to make that clown hooter noise. Beep Beep.

REALLY REALLY REALLY well put CROW ... thats exactly what it comes down to ... every pro will ALWAYS say that teh bike he/she is on is the best ... they have to! even if they are being paid to ride a piece of turd!

As you say there will be 29er DH bikes ... but i just personally doubt that they will "take over" as everyone here in SA talks about. As i said (and you did too) previously it comes down to the markets and what the manufacturers want to sell! It s just funny how its only here in SA that so many people think that the 29er is going to rule and 26 will be obsolete ... look at the WC XC races and you'll see that the riders chop and change between 29 and 26 dependant on the course. The same will probably happen with DH. And then you might find the UCI will bring in wheel size restrictions in classes like they did in DH with the 24inch wheel in the early 2000's

so then we may see 29er classses and 26er classes at world cups ... more to watch = COOL :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

...like BMX... where the 20" guys race seperately from the 24" cruiser guys, (and I may be wrong, but from what I've seen) the top end 20" riders are faster than the 24" riders.

and speaking of DH and BMX... what about 4X... 29er 4X bike... or jump bike... now that, i think may be something that's better left unbuilt...

29ers may "roll better" (although I think it's more in the minds than scientific)... but I doubt they fly better! Semenuk said at rampage 2008 that when the wind is up, the bike is hard to control with 2 26" 'sails' on it... I can only imagine it's worse with bigger wheels

Edited by patches

Oh. Next week I'm going to Morzine for 2 weeks to go mountain biking . Did I mention that?

Enjoy it!! ....asshole