why no 29er on DH rigs

Stevief

Thanks for this insight Nigelhicks.

I was not aware of developments in other countries . Your input is appreciated.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is the bike I am drooling over at the moment.If I have the courage to ride it to its full potential.

I cannot quite see a 29er beach cruiser out performing this

Sorry, but that bike is not even good in 26 form. Can't imagine what it would be like as a 29'er.

Build courses that are more suited to 29ers? What a load of crap. Perhaps the large proportion of riders in this country(be it 26er, 29er, 96er whatever) should stop throwing money at their problems(ie not winning the middle distance at the local funride ) and just ride their bloody bikes

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I am new to this forum, must say forums seems to be forums, this debate sounds like the JPEG vs RAW (photographic forums) or BMW vs Merc (car forums) or Inboard vs Outboard (boat forums) barefoot vs soled (runners forum) Nikon vs Canon (camera forums). Thanks goodness for the invention of 29er, else what would we be debating??

There's no debate. RAW beats Jpeg every time, Mercs have class, inboard gets more chicks, barefoot is for men and PLEASE...Canon FTW!

Agreed with you there Nigel. If the 29er was the DH rig to ride, they'd have been all over the WC circuits by now. What a prospect for bike designers, to have a new product to force on consumers.

Thanks for the travelling advice there Mint. I guess when all 10 of us rock up there and there's no space left at the lodge we can just drop your name and they'll open up a new wing for us eh?!

Thanks for this insight Nigelhicks.

I was not aware of developments in other countries . Your input is appreciated.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: No worries bud ... it just comes down to what the market in that country wants ... it was amazing that a Couple of years back ... (i think it was 2009) Omnico won an international award for best sales WORLDWIDE for GT ... and of these sales ... not even 1% were trail bikes or DH bikes as GT shipped all of these to the European and American Markets. Talking to the buying guys for the distributors here in SA they all say that there are SO MANY cool trail bikes to choose from - but they cant get them in for SA as they know that the bikes will just sit as the roaring majority of riders in SA go and do MTB rides that are just district road etc.

Its taken me 4 years to convince my chicks dad that a 6 inch trail bike is the way to go if you just want to have fun at the rides ... he only started believing me once my chick and i bought him an old DH bike for Xmas ...

BUT THIS IS OFF TOPIC .. so i'll shut up now and just say that MAYBE we'll see a 29er prototype at the World Cup in PMB net year if we get it back ... WHO KNOWS? :blink:

Thanks for the travelling advice there Mint. I guess when all 10 of us rock up there and there's no space left at the lodge we can just drop your name and they'll open up a new wing for us eh?!

The fact is that a town built to deal with millions of skiers every year is not going to be stretched by a few thousand riders. The annual figures for bike riders are dwarfed by the ski-figures.

I was there during Crankworx, which is by far the busiest time in the biking season. My accommodation venue was half-full and the lift lines were like 20mins. And then you just stay up in the Garbanzo zone on the top half of the mountain where it's quieter.

My point was simply that your claim of having to book a year in advance is overly dramatized. Nonetheless, thanks for the sarcasm.

as the roaring majority of riders in SA go and do MTB rides that are just district road etc.

For the love of me I don't understand why people buy mtbikes and then go and ride on district roads with it? What's the point in that? It's not called a MOUNTAIN bike for nothing you know...this world is a screwed up place I tell ya...

Guest Omega Man

Because DHers are heterosexual, that's why.

See above for correct answer.

For the love of me I don't understand why people buy mtbikes and then go and ride on district roads with it? What's the point in that? It's not called a MOUNTAIN bike for nothing you know...this world is a screwed up place I tell ya...

SSSSSHHHHHHH! Don't tell them dude. Next thing we'll have to share our mountains with the bum cream brigade ;)

Nonetheless, thanks for the sarcasm.

That's my pleasure!

Where WE normally stay, and with our big group plus the bikes we like to hire etc, it's prudent to book well in advance. Also, when 10 guys from all parts of the globe need to meet in 1 place for 2 weeks, it helps to book in advance. Also, flights are cheaper booked in advance.

SSSSSHHHHHHH! Don't tell them dude. Next thing we'll have to share our mountains with the bum cream brigade ;)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Classic! :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup:

See above for correct answer.

I know, hahaha, I actually snorted coffe through my nose as I read that! LOL. So to-the-point.

Because DHers are heterosexual, that's why.

EXCEPT when it comes to the DH girls on the World Cup Circuit ... most of them bat for the other team .. what is up with that?

Guest Omega Man

The reason there are no 29er DH bikes on the WC circuit is because they make you look like a circus clown. And Downhillers are very image conscious.

If the DH brigade spent more than 5 min riding down hill, with their motor cross uniforms on ,pretending to be Pastrana they too would need bum cream!

So keep telling yourselves that 29er's won't rule, that's what they said about 29 er's in The Epic!! If you are not worried about your 26er becoming a has been, why bitch and moan about 29er's- worry I tell you!:blush:

Guest Omega Man

If the DH brigade spent more than 5 min riding down hill, with their motor cross uniforms on ,pretending to be Pastrana they too would need bum cream!

So keep telling yourselves that 29er's won't rule, that's what they said about 29 er's in The Epic!! If you are not worried about your 26er becoming a has been, why bitch and moan about 29er's- worry I tell you!:blush:

Hahaha. We do. We get shuttled up the hill and ride down. if we do that enough times it's way more than 5 minutes. And I'm trying to be Shaun Palmer not Pastrana.

Disclaimer: I'm just stirring today. Take nothing of what I say seriously.

Edited by Omega Man