why no 29er on DH rigs

Stevief

Not to mention that almost everywhere else in the world, it's the long travel bikes (140mm plus) that outsell the XC bikes. Purely for the fun factor, I'd imagine. We're one of the only places where XC outsells everything else...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention that almost everywhere else in the world, it's the long travel bikes (140mm plus) that outsell the XC bikes. Purely for the fun factor, I'd imagine. We're one of the only places where XC outsells everything else...

It explains the outrage when we wanted to make the DH runs at Tokai uni-directional. Overseas we wouldnt have even had that argument. It's huge there. We're off to Whister next year and we're booking basically a year in advance so we can get a spot.

Isn't it great that this wonderful sport of our can grow and develop. Pity some of us are too rigid to move eith the times. Change is inevitable. Get used to it

Hear hear. Nobody batted an eyelid as suspension went from bad front to good front to dual to long - hell we went from zero to 6" and everybody craved longer travel.

Add 3" to a wheel and everybody is all handbags and umbrellas at dawn. I don't get it.

Downhillers are poofters anyway - long travel bikes, full face helmets, body armour and you need a bakkie/ski lift to get to the top of the hill? Sheesh. Real men ride hard tail with no protective gear through rock gardens in lycra. Oh wait I said lycra didn't I? Damnit.

Hear hear. Nobody batted an eyelid as suspension went from bad front to good front to dual to long - hell we went from zero to 6" and everybody craved longer travel.

Add 3" to a wheel and everybody is all handbags and umbrellas at dawn. I don't get it.

Downhillers are poofters anyway - long travel bikes, full face helmets, body armour and you need a bakkie/ski lift to get to the top of the hill? Sheesh. Real men ride hard tail with no protective gear through rock gardens in lycra. Oh wait I said lycra didn't I? Damnit.

:lol: :lol:

Real men don't drink pink drinks, keep it steel, Dave.

Nothing wrong with Lycra. I use it to protect my man-bits when I'm in the saddle.

And I'm on a HT to boot.

:lol: :lol:

Real men don't drink pink drinks, keep it steel, Dave.

Alas I'm all bike slut not real man.

I have:

5 x alu bike.

1 x steel bike.

2 x carbon bikes.

Hell one even has titanium enhanced carbon fork and stays (guess what brand you cycling anoraks?).

They have:

2 x single speed.

2 x 27 speed.

1 x 30 speed.

2 x 20 speed.

1 x 7 speed.

I'm so confused...

haha, you must be a real Chuck Norris then having only discovered riser bars a couple weeks back!

I see it this way: girls like real men who do big jumps, ride fast lines and wear baggy shorts. They like big bikes too. We use the armour so we can protect our faces so when we get home from riding, we can perform properly ;) When you lycra boys pull off your bum cream covered ball crushers, the girls are really impressed with what they see I'm sure!

Edited by grb285

Horses for Courses guys...

Do you take your BMW 3series to go fishing in Mozambique???

Choose your weapon according to the battle you are fighting.

Cheerio

Alas I'm all bike slut not real man.

I have:

5 x alu bike.

1 x steel bike.

2 x carbon bikes.

Hell one even has titanium enhanced carbon fork and stays (guess what brand you cycling anoraks?).

They have:

2 x single speed.

2 x 27 speed.

1 x 30 speed.

2 x 20 speed.

1 x 7 speed.

I'm so confused...

Me too. The bike room, including the kids' bike contains...

7 X alu

5 X steel

*Recently flogged the carbon roadie thing to the ex...*

6 X singlespeed (one of which in a Muni, and one with a coaster)

1 X 6 speed

1 X 24 speed

4 X 27 speed

Wheel sizes range from 20" to 29". I'm more than confused.

There is lots of DH 29er development going on and Lenz has been selling a DH29er for nearly a year. All of a sudden there will be a bunch of them turning up:

post-1841-0-70776000-1308127962.jpg

Jeff Steber on the Intense 2951 development: http://www.vitalmtb....1,918/sspomer,2

post-1841-0-45345600-1308128216.jpg

Edited by Kiwi

haha, you must be a real Chuck Norris then having only discovered riser bars a couple weeks back!

I see it this way: girls like real men who do big jumps, ride fast lines and wear baggy shorts. They like big bikes too. We use the armour so we can protect our faces so when we get home from riding, we can perform properly ;) When you lycra boys pull off your bum cream covered ball crushers, the girls are really impressed with what they see I'm sure!

You're talking about those special girls that have overly large adams apples aren't you?

Armour to protect your faces? You sound like Luke Perry in an episode from The Simpsons - "not my face not my face!". Pretty boys the lot of ya.

You're talking about those special girls that have overly large adams apples aren't you?

Armour to protect your faces? You sound like Luke Perry in an episode from The Simpsons - "not my face not my face!". Pretty boys the lot of ya.

:lol:

He shoots, he scores...

There is lots of DH 29er development going on and Lenz has been selling a DH29er for nearly a year. All of a sudden there will be a bunch of them turning up:

Jeff Steber on the Intense 2951 development: http://www.vitalmtb....1,918/sspomer,2

I agree - 29ers cracked XCO gold not so long ago. I'll go out on a limb and say that one of the DH golds will be won on a 29er in 2012 - 2011 is a bit too soon I reckon.

The high speed stability is great with the larger wheels and there are no XCO style unbanked super tight hairpins in DH.

Sounds like you need a day of DH riding so you can show all of us what wise guy you are.

Sounds like you need a day of DH riding so you can show all of us what wise guy you are.

Getting touchy rather quickly eh, take it on the chin as much as you dish it out bud. Pretty sure Eldron's post was as tongue in cheek as yours.