Weight training

GIRR

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce I have been reading that whole discussion around weights on cycling forums some years back - fascinating. I am sure there are a huge

Bruce I have been reading that whole discussion around weights on cycling forums some years back - fascinating. I am sure there are a huge number of cyclists doing weights

Bruce I have been reading that discussion on weight training on cycling forums.com - fascinating. There must be a large number of cyclists out there who are waisting alot of time in the gym hoping to increase their performance on the bike! I for one will be using that time on the bike from now on!

Eish Imtb I think your "Enter" key is stuck LOL

I think what people don't immediately see when this debate get's raised, is that the question is about improving cycling performance.  Nobody argues that weight training is not beneficial to overall body structure etc, the argument is about whether one hour in the gym provides better cycling results than one hour on the bike - and all studies so far seem to indicate that one hour on the bike wins hands down.

BUT one hour on the bike will not improve your ability to lift heavy things, one hour in the gym is much better for that!

One has to bear in mind that there is more to cycling than simply pedaling the bike forwards. Shock from the road is transmitted up the arms, through the shoulders and into the back. If these muscles fatigue or fail the bodies 'attention' is 'distracted' away from the task of making you go forward faster.

If you train correctly with weights you will build very little extra muscle, you will however strengthen those that you already have.

Power to weight ratio is the mantra of every cyclist but unless you are planning an assualt on an Alpine stage in the TDF there is no need for you to be built like an anorexic Columbian, a little bit of weight training in the off-season will do you more good than harm.

The climbs that we face in our weekend races are very rarely any more than 3km long and up to 10%. You don't sit and twiddle up climbs like that you power over them. These are climbs which riders like Tom Boonen and co relish in the Spring Classics and I would put money on the fact that Big Tom is in gym as we write this.

I agree that the best strength and power work is done on the bike and should be specific to the type of rider that you are and what your goals are but I am of the opinion that weight training during certain parts of the year definitely do contribute to sports specific power and strength.

These are climbs which riders like Tom Boonen and co relish in the Spring Classics and I would put money on the fact that Big Tom is in gym as we write this.

Having read the discussion on cycling forums, I think you would lose your bet - he's more likely on a hill training on the bike

On the same day that you do your sprint work on the bike, go to the gym in the morning. Power cleans, squats, leg curls. On the alternate days do plyometrics, get a good medicine ball programme. The plyometrics helps phenomenally. Keep the weights light, and do fast, controlled efforts to keep the benefits of the workout without bulking up. And yes, do track. Nothing teaches you how to sprint like the track. I have a frame for sale if you wantWink

One has to bear in mind that there is more to cycling than simply pedaling the bike forwards. Shock from the road is transmitted up the arms' date=' through the shoulders and into the back. If these muscles fatigue or fail the bodies 'attention' is 'distracted' away from the task of making you go forward faster.

If you train correctly with weights you will build very little extra muscle, you will however strengthen those that you already have.

Power to weight ratio is the mantra of every cyclist but unless you are planning an assualt on an Alpine stage in the TDF there is no need for you to be built like an anorexic Columbian, a little bit of weight training in the off-season will do you more good than harm.

The climbs that we face in our weekend races are very rarely any more than 3km long and up to 10%. You don't sit and twiddle up climbs like that you power over them. These are climbs which riders like Tom Boonen and co relish in the Spring Classics and I would put money on the fact that Big Tom is in gym as we write this.

I agree that the best strength and power work is done on the bike and should be specific to the type of rider that you are and what your goals are but I am of the opinion that weight training during certain parts of the year definitely do contribute to sports specific power and strength.
[/quote']

Just out of interest - did you read the two articles I posted by Coggan ?

These are climbs which riders like Tom Boonen and co relish in the Spring Classics and I would put money on the fact that Big Tom is in gym as we write this.

Having read the discussion on cycling forums' date=' I think you would lose your bet - he's more likely on a hill training on the bike
[/quote']

I am cheating there, it is a pretty safe bet that the weather is shocking in Flanders at this time of the year Wink.

Although, on the other hand, he is probably in some sunnier climate like Majorca...Cry

One has to bear in mind that there is more to cycling than simply pedaling the bike forwards. Shock from the road is transmitted up the arms' date=' through the shoulders and into the back. If these muscles fatigue or fail the bodies 'attention' is 'distracted' away from the task of making you go forward faster.

[/quote']

Just out of interest - did you read the two articles I posted by Coggan ?

No, unfortunately I seem to work harder than a lot of other guys on the HubBig%20smile but I will when I have some time.

I am assuming that these are based on some sort of testing and research but the problem with published findings is that you generally can find just as compelling reading which proves the opposite. Research done by Dr. Michael Colgan for instance.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't read everything. The more information the better, the key is to establish what works for the individual and to be able to adapt training, on and off the bike, to him or her.

Having read the discussion on cycling forums' date=' I think you would lose your bet - he's more likely on a hill training on the bike
[/quote']

I am cheating there, it is a pretty safe bet that the weather is shocking in Flanders at this time of the year Wink.

Although, on the other hand, he is probably in some sunnier climate like Majorca...Cry

Ah, hadn't thought about that, but this is what Cogan and Stern, both experts in the field of cycling and weights would have to say about weight training helping you on the climbs

"strength isn't important for anyone (in general in this context). riding up a hill is way below the maximum force you can generate. it's to do with your power output, if you struggle uphill, it's because you're not fit enough and can't generate the power required to go at the velocity you need, and thus, your cadence is too low. if you're not fit enough, increasing your strength won't help, you need to improve your cardiovascular system -- increasing your VO2max and LT. these are trained on the bike."

Bruce' date='what is your opinion on low cadence strenght type intervals
[/quote']

speaking of cadence, what would be better?

keeping to a set cadence across all workouts, increasing resistance for the rquired effort/power  or keeping the resistance the same and doing differnet cadence thing?