What bar width are you running for AM?

wesley_r

HAHAHAHAHA, could not resist.

That Fury is such a nice ride man.... When I binned at Giba on it I think I broke my finger hey.... Still having to tape my pinky to the other finger almost 3 weeks later thatnks to the excruciating pain. All this plus the fact that my rib was broken from the day before on Deans bike.

Maybe I should just stay off other peoples bikes in the future!!!!

hahahaha Nic you are a KNOB!!!! hahahaha

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on the Shova: 710mm Funn Full-on (black), 50mm stem

on the 456: 710mm Funn Full-on (white), 50mm stem.

Guess I kinda like that setup.

Quick question. I recently changed from a 150mm fork to a 160mm fork. I am riding with a 70mm stem and a 685mm bar. I was actually thinking about putting on the exact setup mentioned here (i.e. 710mm bar and 50mm stem). How will this change the feel of the bike? I am just getting into the whole jump thing, so will this set up give a bit more confidence on the jumping front i.e. a bit more compact and more weight over the back wheel?

Quick question. I recently changed from a 150mm fork to a 160mm fork. I am riding with a 70mm stem and a 685mm bar. I was actually thinking about putting on the exact setup mentioned here (i.e. 710mm bar and 50mm stem). How will this change the feel of the bike? I am just getting into the whole jump thing, so will this set up give a bit more confidence on the jumping front i.e. a bit more compact and more weight over the back wheel?

You'll be surprised what a bog difference those 25mm will make. I remember jumping on my buddy's Tomac Snyper to try the gaps in Eden - was totally freaked out by his narrower bars! He was riding 685, I was on 711! Both of us rode 50mm stems then already.

Try it. But be warned, once you've tasted 710 you'll be wanting more!

You'll be surprised what a bog difference those 25mm will make. I remember jumping on my buddy's Tomac Snyper to try the gaps in Eden - was totally freaked out by his narrower bars! He was riding 685, I was on 711! Both of us rode 50mm stems then already.

Try it. But be warned, once you've tasted 710 you'll be wanting more!

Ha ha! Will do. What rize are you using?

Mid ~ 25mm. The rest you can fine tune with spacers.

Cool stuff. Ja, I see most of the 710mm bars (i.e. Easton Haven) only come in mid rize and not in a high (40mm).

Just out of curiousity, what rize are most of you using for AM purposes? My gut feel is that it's mostly mid rize (+-20mm). Are 40mm rize bars therefor mostly for FR/DH? Or does it just depend on what feels comfy for each rider? Any advantages 20mm vs 40mm?

steeper the track, the higher the rise. Taller guys also like more rise. But it's really a subjective thing. Somethings are just super nuts though, like that flat bar craze that went around not too long ago. meh. never saw or felt the attraction.

Just out of curiousity, what rize are most of you using for AM purposes? My gut feel is that it's mostly mid rize (+-20mm). Are 40mm rize bars therefor mostly for FR/DH? Or does it just depend on what feels comfy for each rider? Any advantages 20mm vs 40mm?

I'm running the 20mm rise BooBar and will be going for the 20mm rise Holzfeller - at the moment with the stem and number of spacers I have 20mm feels perfect! It's all down to personal choice!

I'm running the 20mm rise BooBar and will be going for the 20mm rise Holzfeller - at the moment with the stem and number of spacers I have 20mm feels perfect! It's all down to personal choice!

Yup. I wanna try and set up my bike for easier jumping, so I think I'm gonna change my stem from 70mm to 50mm, widen the bars from 685mm to 710mm, and then maybe go for a high rize (40mm). Actually a bit in 2 minds about the 40mm rize. The drop in stem length should theoretically already push your weight back a bit?

Stick with mid rize. Will give you greater flexibility to go higher or lower via spacers. Also, even if you buy all at the same time, only swap out one at the time. That way you will "learn" what certain upgrades bring to the end result.

What works like a bomb is keeping current setup on the bike then pedal to the top of a favorite section. Swap the stem then do a run. Shouldn't be more than 5minutes worth as you won't be able to remember the inclement changes if you ride too far or for too long.

Then swap the bar and repeat. THEN play with spacers and the "roll" of your bar.

JUST REMEMBER: moving your weight around on the bike will mean you have to reset sag front and back.

Stick with mid rize. Will give you greater flexibility to go higher or lower via spacers. Also, even if you buy all at the same time, only swap out one at the time. That way you will "learn" what certain upgrades bring to the end result.

What works like a bomb is keeping current setup on the bike then pedal to the top of a favorite section. Swap the stem then do a run. Shouldn't be more than 5minutes worth as you won't be able to remember the inclement changes if you ride too far or for too long.

Then swap the bar and repeat. THEN play with spacers and the "roll" of your bar.

JUST REMEMBER: moving your weight around on the bike will mean you have to reset sag front and back.

Thx for the advice Crow. Yup, very true. I ride Majik almost every weekend and I know the section from the beacon down over the bridge and further on down over the log drop very well, so it's a lekker stretch to test changes to your bike set up. Will notice changes to the feel of the ride immediately. There's a lekker jump just past the log drop which I'm eyeing...hence me trying to get the bike set up right!

Yup. I wanna try and set up my bike for easier jumping, so I think I'm gonna change my stem from 70mm to 50mm, widen the bars from 685mm to 710mm, and then maybe go for a high rize (40mm). Actually a bit in 2 minds about the 40mm rize. The drop in stem length should theoretically already push your weight back a bit?

I have a Holzfeller bar here at home with 710 width and 30 rise. You're welcome to try it for a weekend and see if it's the kind of setup you want. Drop me a PM and we can arrange.

I have a Holzfeller bar here at home with 710 width and 30 rise. You're welcome to try it for a weekend and see if it's the kind of setup you want. Drop me a PM and we can arrange.

Thx boet. A buddy of mine has a spare 710mm Easton which I'm gonna give a bash over the week end. But many thx for the offer.

Thx boet. A buddy of mine has a spare 710mm Easton which I'm gonna give a bash over the week end. But many thx for the offer.

no worries, enjoy it ;)