What bar width are you running for AM?

wesley_r

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crow, I see it this way:

1) Smashing face-first into the dirt after clipping a tree because 1.4m of bar was sticking out isn't fun.

2) Smashing face-first into the dirt after hooking the end of the 1.4m bar into the ground while cornering isn't fun.

3) Riding fast is riding fast, regardless of how wide your bars are.

4) A Super-wide bar makes you look like a knob.

5) What's wrong with XC riding? ;)

6) I have 580mm ones on my Kona Kula.

That's about it, I was keen to come up with more points to entertain Cap (the pressure!), but that's all I have... :lol:

Edited by Martin Hattingh

I hope you're poking fun cause my comment wasn't meant to get you in meeting mode. Honestly. I couldn't care less who rides in lycra and uses bumb cream. Just like I'm not intimidated or embarrassed cause I don't do 30ft drops and swear at kids or grannies or whatever.

I use to ride 580mm flat bars on my MotoLite. Couldn't get it the way I thought it should ride until one day I tried different bars and stems. Doing back to back runs I was MUCH faster with bars that gave me more control. I have since tried more stem length / bar width combos than I can remember and can finally say I'm almost at the point where I can settle.

So...

1. My bars are 1.460 wide and I have never ever clipped them. And you can argue as an AM rider I get myself into tighter spots at higher speeds.

2. How the heck do you corner to get THAT right. I'll be seriously impressed and in awe. Honestly. blink.gif

3. Spot on. But your fast is not my fast and my fast is probably not fast at all. But as long as you enjoy what you do and everybody else what they do, then what does it matter?

4. Most will argue riding a 610mm XC race bar on a 5.5" bike makes you look like one. It makes as much sense as a CrossPolo with low profile tyres. Buy, build and ride a bike what it's designed for.

5. Nothing. I do it as well. Not so much anymore, but not cause I'm an elitist but because I'm unfit. I do miss it though.

Again, I'm not saying try wider bars cause I'm trying to insult you and your family, I'm saying it from one mtb'er to another who've seen the benefits of wider bars. No use getting all pointy if you at least haven't tried it.

Also. As long as you go as wide as what makes sense for YOU. No sense in going wide just cause Sam Hill is doing it or cause it's the thing to do. That makes you a chop.

Edited by The Crow

darn it! I went with wide bars for the Sam Hill reason :lol:

But as Nigel said earlier... Sam is now running 730mm... so looks like I must cut my bars.

ps. here's a pic of Sam with his 1.4m wide bars about a mile away from the ground... I'm sure it's cos he's not cornering hard enough :lol:

http://mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2008/12/09/ride3-500-90-500-70.jpg

Haha, relax Crow, I was kidding :)

I've never EVER used bum cream, and I probably never will.

PS: Who's Sam Hill again? Is he related to Troy Brosnan?

I am running 690 Carbon bars on my Reign (Standard Equipment), and 711 Easton Havens on my Reign X.

I much prefer the level of control with the 711's, but am too broke to buy wider carbon bars for the Reign, and don't want to downgrade.

I am running 690 Carbon bars on my Reign (Standard Equipment), and 711 Easton Havens on my Reign X.

I much prefer the level of control with the 711's, but am too broke to buy wider carbon bars for the Reign, and don't want to downgrade.

you should bring those 711's to come try out the fruits of our labours. Shaun and I were there on monday... so much fun... super smooth landing! Perfect for AM rigs ;)

all this talk of 1.4m wide bars is giving me shoulder cramp! hahaha

ok honestly ... the widest bar EVER made was by Syncros this year at 1000mm .... AND IT WAS A JOKE built specially for the Eurobike show.

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/09/13/1284368487374-ta5b1sdldhxu-500-90-500-70.jpg

Max bars have gone to like 850mm (0.85m) - NOT 1.4m .... hahaha

Yeah! I reckon the thinking was 700mm bars have to be doubled cause they stick out on both sides. blink.gif

Crow, I see it this way:

1) Smashing face-first into the dirt after clipping a tree because 1.4m of bar was sticking out isn't fun.

2) Smashing face-first into the dirt after hooking the end of the 1.4m bar into the ground while cornering isn't fun.

3) Riding fast is riding fast, regardless of how wide your bars are.

4) A Super-wide bar makes you look like a knob.

5) What's wrong with XC riding? ;)

6) I have 580mm ones on my Kona Kula.

Ok but on a serious note .... MH ... dude honestly try a set of 680mm bars ...

To reply to the 1-6 as well

1. Everyone always says that narrower bars are better cus you get through the singletrack without clipping your bars ... Bull!! There is SELDOM a set of trees that are closer than 1m apart and even MORE SELDOM for a track to pass between said trees! - Therefore No matter how wide your bars, you clip a tree because you ride too close to it ... not cus of bar width! (AND I HAVE TESTED THIS THEORY BY MEASURING WITH A TAPE THE TIGHTEST TREE LINE I KNOW ON A XC COURSE)

2. Unless you are Sam Hill (AKA CHRIST-ON-A-BIKE according to Rob Warner) or Fairclough or any Pro you wont drag your bars in a turn no matter what width you have - to drag your bars you need a decent sized berm with an almost vertical tranny to get that low - or a berm where you are leaning in towards a large bank on the inside - in either case MOST if not ALL riders wont be able to get low enough to bar-drag as they are scared that their front wheel will slip out cus they dont trust their tyres and are also not going fast enough to get the desired amount of lean in the corner.

3. DEFINE FAST! Fast in the rough is faster with wide bars as you have more leverage and more control! NO QUESTION!

4. ARE YOU SURE YOU ARE NOT A ROADIE??? :blink: HAHAHA only joking ... no .. each to his own with style!

5. NOTHING! I ride it too! As does EVERY serious AM and DH rider

6. I have NO idea how you hold onto those pencils! ;) ;) hahaha

Yeah! I reckon the thinking was 700mm bars have to be doubled cause they stick out on both sides. blink.gif

maybe it's new, but yet undeveloped dropbar, that uses hydraulic actuation to overextend itself at the push of a button: would rock the XC and DH worlds equally.. :thumbup:

Lets bring this style back into MTB ... it worked for the biggest MTB legend EVER! so MUST work for us .... Check you can even style the jumps with these bars!

http://twowheeledworld.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/John-Tomac-at-1990-Worlds-web.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tmCXlTvwjkY/TTw9ZSGgopI/AAAAAAAACAQ/cJY5ktjCxxc/s1600/johnny_drop_jump.jpg

:blink: :blink: :blink:

NO WAY - found this!

in a 2008 press release http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/tomac-launches-new-bikes/6194.html

As well as the riding legend that he clearly is, for many people the image of Tomac pinning it on a bike with drop bars will be most notable. To mark the ten year anniversary of the Tomac brand, a limited edition custom built straight gauge chromoly bike with drop bars has been built, the DB10. And by limited they mean just ten will be sold. They’ll all be custom painted too by Spectrum Powder Works.

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/images/DB10-Side-hi.jpg

I WANT ONE!!!!

You guys are nuts!

My MonkeyLite SLs are 610mm and I'm absolutely fine with them that way, thanks.

I ride with 685mm Easton's EA70's and that feels perfect. I have ridden on my friend's 730mm Boobar's and that feels too wide for me. I guess you'll know what feels right for you. Don't think there's a right answer here.

Yaay, 711 Havens on a Reign! Took the same step two weeks ago, what a difference from 680. I clipped everything on the first day..

And now it just looks right!