What bar width are you running for AM?

wesley_r

Yaay, 711 Havens on a Reign! Took the same step two weeks ago, what a difference from 680. I clipped everything on the first day..

And now it just looks right!

It gets better the more you ride it. I had 730's on my Glory, and that felt good, but it was a big bike that needed man-handling.

I am very happy with the Havens. They seriously work!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha guys, c'mon, I was hoping you'd spot the sarcasm a mile away!

I wasn't really thinking it possible to clip the ground going through a berm :lol:

Not even with an imaginery 1.4m bar :P

Haha guys, c'mon, I was hoping you'd spot the sarcasm a mile away!

I wasn't really thinking it possible to clip the ground going through a berm :lol:

Not even with an imaginery 1.4m bar :P

I must say, I ride Jonkers a lot, and there are certain singletrack sections through the trees where it's almost impossible to ride without clipping the trees, if you're handlebars are too wide. Also there are many sharp 180 degree turns, where longer bars will probably not be as quick as shorter bars through the corners. Or am I talking k@k?

Wider bars are quicker and easier through the switchbacks. More control when it comes to steering input. Narrow bars = smallest input has quite a big effect on direction change which can make for "nervous" handling

I've never clipped my bars in Jonkers.

I must say, I ride Jonkers a lot, and there are certain singletrack sections through the trees where it's almost impossible to ride without clipping the trees, if you're handlebars are too wide. Also there are many sharp 180 degree turns, where longer bars will probably not be as quick as shorter bars through the corners. Or am I talking k@k?

I guess it's all just practice and control.

...in the Red Bull urban DH race (Desafio no Morro), there are alley-ways that are approx 850mm wide and most of the riders are running at least 750mm bars. I guess it's all about getting to know your bike... exactly where your outer perimeter is... exactly where your wheels are.

Take Ryan Leech for instance...

Watch him hopping on the train tracks... he knows exactly where his wheels are... and I guess once one is that in touch with their bike it becomes part of the rider and they know exactly where their bars are when negotiating narrow passes

Edited by patches

Wider bars are quicker and easier through the switchbacks. More control when it comes to steering input. Narrow bars = smallest input has quite a big effect on direction change which can make for "nervous" handling

I've never clipped my bars in Jonkers.

Ja, agree 100% with the steering being nervous with shorter bars. But some okes like it that way, especially in the very tight sections. A buddy of mine has a 580mm flat bar (!) on his Zula, which he loves. I guess you get used to a certain riding style, and like Martin H said, if you're good enough, you'll be quick with any bar!

I guess it's all just practice and control.

...in the Red Bull urban DH race (Desafio no Morro), there are alley-ways that are approx 850mm wide and most of the riders are running at least 750mm bars. I guess it's all about getting to know your bike... exactly where your outer perimeter is... exactly where your wheels are.

Take Ryan Leech for instance...

Watch him hopping on the train tracks... he knows exactly where his wheels are... and I guess once one is that in touch with their bike it becomes part of the rider and they know exactly where their bars are when negotiating narrow passes

Absolutely. Wish I had enough time to really become "one" with my bike. And so many times, you start get to know your bike and then you change something (i.e. frame, bars etc) and then you have to start the process all over again!

Wish granted.....

:blink: :blink: :blink:

NO WAY - found this!

in a 2008 press release http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/tomac-launches-new-bikes/6194.html

As well as the riding legend that he clearly is, for many people the image of Tomac pinning it on a bike with drop bars will be most notable. To mark the ten year anniversary of the Tomac brand, a limited edition custom built straight gauge chromoly bike with drop bars has been built, the DB10. And by limited they mean just ten will be sold. They’ll all be custom painted too by Spectrum Powder Works.

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/images/DB10-Side-hi.jpg

I WANT ONE!!!!

post-16663-0-05303500-1310026664.jpg

Edited by Nikolais

Add a shorter stem to the wider bar combo and you should not be sacrificing much, if anything with respect to changing direction with on tight trails.

Add a shorter stem to the wider bar combo and you should not be sacrificing much, if anything with respect to changing direction with on tight trails.

Yup. Dropped from a 100mm stem to 70mm and that combined with my 685mm bar, at the moment works for me. Guess if I start going for bigger jumps a wider bar will follow.

hahahaha Nic you are a KNOB!!!! hahahaha

some bar drags from the world cup!

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229603_152114508188143_137298446336416_335744_1837316_n.jpg

NEEDLES

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225026_152114241521503_137298446336416_335737_2475441_n.jpg

BLINKI

on the Shova: 710mm Funn Full-on (black), 50mm stem

on the 456: 710mm Funn Full-on (white), 50mm stem.

Guess I kinda like that setup.