Beware Sedgefield Provincial Traffic - Targeting Oyster festival

johnw

R2500 fine at Sedgefield because my car number plate differed to the number plate on my Thule 3 bike rack (tow bar mount). Had to change cars at last minute due to a mechanical. Officer concerned that the different number plate would avoid a camera trap..... Explained to the officer that both number plates are registered in my name (which he verified over the radio). When I queried the correctness of the charge and that maybe it was incorrect, I was told that he would have to arrest me if that was the case.

Clearly, the Oyster festival tourists are being targeted.

If you are wrong, you are wrong. Sometimes I feel like they are targeting cars that drive too fast or people with outstanding fines.

If you are wrong, you are wrong. Sometimes I feel like they are targeting cars that drive too fast or people with outstanding fines.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this comment. :(

Unfortunately, though, it often appears that certain transgressions are ignored while other ones (which they know they'll get revenue from) are focussed on. The frustration of the SA motorist...

To be fair to the traffic guys in Sedgefield, they are out there all year nailing guys, not just targeting Oyster Festival. Which is good - used to drive that road regularly, and that was the safest stretch on the garden route, cos you never knew where the buggers might be waiting.

I don't think you can fault Plod, you were not within the law. He has no choice but to fine you. Rather, don't give him a reason to.

@Johnw I think you are right, I also get the impression they target tourist during oyster festival an d holidays to boost their coffers.

@the rest of you. A R2500 fine for this is crazy. I dont think Johnw would even have started this thread if he got charged R500. I would be upset too.

@Johnw I think you are right, I also get the impression they target tourist during oyster festival an d holidays to boost their coffers.

@the rest of you. A R2500 fine for this is crazy. I dont think Johnw would even have started this thread if he got charged R500. I would be upset too.

If R2500 is the wrong amount, the prosecutor will sort it out quickly - I agree it does sound a lot.

But, still, the point remains, if you break the law you can't moan about getting punished. It doesn't matter if the guy next to you is smoking pot, not wearing a seatbelt or stabbing his passenger - you are still in the wrong. We all make mistakes. Take the punishment, learn your lesson and don't do it again.

Hmm u lucky. Displaying the wrong numberplate should be court according to the new demerit system. :unsure:

If R2500 is the wrong amount, the prosecutor will sort it out quickly - I agree it does sound a lot.

But, still, the point remains, if you break the law you can't moan about getting punished. It doesn't matter if the guy next to you is smoking pot, not wearing a seatbelt or stabbing his passenger - you are still in the wrong. We all make mistakes. Take the punishment, learn your lesson and don't do it again.

The cops there also work on the premise that you cant come back there and defend yourself since it would simply cost you too much, so you just end up paying the fines by the time you get a summons.

Does it not all boil down to intention after all? putting a false number plate on your car to avoid paying fines is quite different to having your own plate on the rack albeit the wrong one.

Edited by orbeaorca

For the record, by having different number plates on my bike rack vs car, I transgressed a number of different regulations in the National road traffic act, even though both plates are registered to cars in my name.

Depending on the provincial traffic interpretation, the transgression could be minor i.e. “Front and rear number plates not the same”, R600 fine - regulation 35(6)(h) or Major i.e. “Vehicle with a number plate with a licence number not applicable to the vehicle”, R2500 fine - regulation 35(6)(g).

With the possible implementation of AARTO + demerit system, the problem is worse…, As pointed out by @Leet22, all the above offences become a criminal offence, require a court appearance and attract the maximum 6 demerit points. I guess this could also involve being arrested on the spot? http://aarto.co.za/chargecodes-list.asp?offset=20

Obviously these regulations are aimed at those who run with a fake number plate on their car. As per @orbeaorca, putting a false number plate on your car to avoid paying fines is quite different to having your own plate on the rack albeit the wrong one. But the law is the law and depending on the day one can get hit with the maximum fine as happened to me - R2500!

There are situations where it is difficult to comply with the regulations as follows:

1. Hired car - I have in the past put both my bike and bike-rack on a plane and carried a portable number plate registered to a car in my name. Then loaded rack (boot mounted) on a hired car. Obviously in this case it is difficult to match the number plates.

2. Changing cars - As per my situation in Sedgefield, I changed cars and the Thule bike rack has a fixed number plate which then did not match the car plate. This one is easier to sort out by carrying multiple portable number plates with straps to fix to the bike rack, depending on which car is used from home.

3. One can have a mechanical on the road and then loading the rack on another car becomes a criminal offence if the number plates mismatch!

“Front and rear number plates not the same”, R600 fine - regulation 35(6)(h) or Major i.e. “Vehicle with a number plate with a licence number not applicable to the vehicle”, R2500 fine - regulation 35(6)(g).

If plates are different, does it not mean the one does not belong to that vehicle?

this is simply stupid. What if you hire a trailer, then you will have 2 different number plates?

Edited by Riyadh

this is simply stupid. What if you hire a trailer, then you will have 2 different number plates?

A trailer is a vehicle on its own and uses it's own plates.

irrespective, at the end of the day there was a number plate displayed, so a fine could be issued if caught speeding, there was no failure to display. However I think it is best to not have one displayed to avoid such a steep fine.

irrespective, at the end of the day there was a number plate displayed, so a fine could be issued if caught speeding, there was no failure to display. However I think it is best to not have one displayed to avoid such a steep fine.

Riyadh - If it was your number plate he displayed would you be happy to pay the fine?

John - What would have happened if you moved the number plate of your hired, broken down or exchanged car and put that on the bike carrier.

What happens in Gauteng with the new fangled metal number plates. Do you have to buy a third one as per the specification and display that or will a old style number plate suffice.

And lastly, Johnny, you have now looked up all these statutes and regulations. Are you going to court to defend your virtues or are you going to cough and pay up?

<_< :P :P -_-

NUBBIN.