8ta Special Data package - BEWARE

duringd

Exactly.

I will be proper p!ssed if I sign a 24 month contract and end up having to use EDGE for the duration of the contract.

Is there anyway to test the signal strenght before entering into such a contract?

i am with garfield 2010.i bought 2 2gig speedsticks from cell c.theier coverage map is bull and to make a long story short i was refunded for the two sticks.it did however take numerous phone calls,e mails from my bb,swearing etc and 6 months to have the money back in my account.

Supposedly they can give you a test stick to take home. When I did go however they could not.

In any case there is a 30 day money back guarantee at Cell C. Problem is that it worked for 30 days before going over to EDGE! Nice!

So I am screwed. You can however buy an antenna seperately which will increase signal strength.

Or ask around and borrow a friends 3G stick and go test it at home.

Use www.speedtest.net to test the network.....

Ping should be under 100

Up and downloadspeeds shou be larger than 1 Mbps at least...........

in my office my mtn and vodacom dongles work fine .thecell c one did not work ie no or very unstable signal.some suggestions from cell c was to disengaged all firewalls on my computer.the technicians came out and no signal.this dispite their coverage map showing that i should have a very strong signal.some oke at cell c went so far as to tell me that the map is not accurate.i think they can just as well paint their computer screen orange/red as the coverage map has no bearing on the actual coverage.after sale service was even worse.

Hahaha!

Well if the MTN/Vodacom 3G is working then I doubt that there is anything wrong with your computer.

I agree on the paint and the coverage map.......

I think it is more the areas that they would like to cover.................

Try the speedtest mobile app if you have a compatible smartphone. Get a 8ta sim and load some airtime and see how fast it is.

GRRRRRRR , where I am I go on mtn roaming, and the 10G deal is not applied then. Have to go the ADSL route.

I have had just about every Mobile SP and their variants except for 8ta...(starting with -I think it was Sentech) I have settled for doing without mobile and working with ADSL... there is no beating fixed line :clap: :clap: :clap:

If i am in a jam: I take out my cell and struggle with the speed for the short time... else I go home and zoot arount the web on 4MB- mostly about 3MB :clap: :clap:

If getting mobile is absolutly essential then your check out your signal strength not just where you live, but where you will be spending time: coffee shops... work.. home...

Try the speedtest mobile app if you have a compatible smartphone. Get a 8ta sim and load some airtime and see how fast it is.

Education needed - where does one get this speedtest app?

I recently (9 months ago) converted to Telkom ADSL 4 meg Line speed with 9 gig data p/month. It came with a router that enable me, my wife and daughter to connect wireless with our laptops all at the same time!! I was pleasantly surprised to the speed of the 4 meg line (even with 3 laptops connected). It is definitely faster and cheaper as the previous 3x 3G's that we had, although MTN claim that it was 7.2 meg with full 3G reception that I do have at my house.

I can honestly say, Telkom service is not that bad! I applied effortless and two days later they installed the new line!

I must however point out...once the cables was stole in the area and it took them 3 days to sort it out. In that time i just used my MTN 3G cards as a backup!

Education needed - where does one get this speedtest app?

Android MArket or Apple Appstore, not sure but should be available on BB and WP7 as well

• 2 weeks later...

I can also vouch for the stability and speed of Telkom however, I have moved and canceled the line in the previous house but still get statements for it. I have been told that it can take 21 days to cancel, but that was 90 days ago. I phoned the call centre and was told that the only person in the whole of Telkom that could complete the cancellation of the line was a woman in a retail branch.

I find this rather strange and a load of cr@p.

Monopolies these days?!?!?!?!?! ;)

Edited by dalem44