Tyre choice for XC beginner

wesley_r

2.1 inch diameter? Are you using them for fairy wheels? :unsure:

Sorry, I guess you can see I scored an F on matric math!

Edited by Mojoman

is this another hub etiquette issue i've missed? I've already taken my bar ends off my riser bar, so don't be too harsh...

Put your risers back dude, forget what roadies and race snakes tell you.

Secondly smallblock 8's and crossmarks? are you guys serious? When you start you want all the grip you can possibly get to help and prevent wipes, both those are certain to leave you in the dust if you dont have a decent skillset. And then not to mention its winter, if any of those come close to anything resembling water or mud your toast.

My reccomendation

X-king rear

Mountain kin 2 front.

Put your risers back dude, forget what roadies and race snakes tell you.

Secondly smallblock 8's and crossmarks? are you guys serious? When you start you want all the grip you can possibly get to help and prevent wipes, both those are certain to leave you in the dust if you dont have a decent skillset. And then not to mention its winter, if any of those come close to anything resembling water or mud your toast.

My reccomendation

X-king rear

Mountain kin 2 front.

Are you nuts?

OP: I'm looking for something affordable and light.

Grippy means heavy and those tires you recommend cost a fortune.. A beginner doesn't go blasting into mud.

Are you nuts?

OP: I'm looking for something affordable and light.

Grippy means heavy and those tires you recommend cost a fortune.. A beginner doesn't go blasting into mud.

Yes i am a total screwball mate, but thats besides the point.

I am running that combo after I tried every other conceivable combination over the last 2 years. my tires weigh in at 980grams for both. I dare you to beat that with crossmarks or smallblock 8's.

Grippy does not necesarrily mean heavy, but that said if you start out rather go with a heavy set of tires that will keep you on your bike than a light set of tires that are fast rolling with no grip.

I am running that combo after I tried every other conceivable combination over the last 2 years. my tires weigh in at 980grams for both. I dare you to beat that with crossmarks or smallblock 8's. Running tubeless.

Grippy does not necesarrily mean heavy, but that said if you start out rather go with a heavy set of tires that will keep you on your bike than a light set of tires that are fast rolling with no grip.

and a beginer rides the trails a beginer has no choice as to what the condition of the track is in winter unless the "beginner" stays on tarmac. And its odd you mention it, Ive been at a couple of rides latley where i saw thousands of beginners all them having to cope with mud. what makes your beginner so special that your beginner will not cope with mud? does your beginner levitate on the bike in winter?

That said what happens when the beginner decides dirt roads and tarmac is boring and would like to tackle some wet slippery ST? Does said beginner go out and buy a proper set of rubber suited for this and spend double the cash?

Edited by covie

I guess it depends where the OP hails from, up here in Gauteng there is not much mud in winter, jusy dry and dusty!

Then again deep sand has the same amusement factor as mud!

I am running that combo after I tried every other conceivable combination over the last 2 years. my tires weigh in at 980grams for both. I dare you to beat that with crossmarks or smallblock 8's. Running tubeless.

and a beginer rides the trails a beginer has no choice as to what the condition of the track is in winter unless the "beginner" stays on tarmac. And its odd you mention it, Ive been at a couple of rides latley where i saw thousands of beginners all them having to cope with mud. what makes your beginner so special that your beginner will not cope with mud? does your beginner levitate on the bike in winter?

That said what happens when the beginner decides dirt roads and tarmac is boring and would like to tackle some wet slippery ST? Does said beginner go out and buy a proper set of rubber suited for this and spend double the cash?

Okay now you go and make sense. For me grippy is Mountain king, Seguaro, Nevegal and nobby nic. These usually are heavier tires if you go for the wider than 2.1 versions (I am abviously thinking tubeless which is not what he wants)

Hi-jack: I dont find the X-kings that great, could be riding style but I am happy with any other tire.

Edited by Nobody

2.25 Ardent on the front with another at the back or to keep things simple a *Spit* cross mark on the back.

The 2.2 Geax Saguaro is also a really great tyre. Running this on the Shova at the moment and it really does a great job at balancing out speed vs grip. Great in the dry / moist and ok in the wet.

if you start out rather go with a heavy set of tires that will keep you on your bike than a light set of tires that are fast rolling with no grip.

i was wondering the same thing. i have a set of 2.3 Nevegals here, but figured 2.1 small block eights would be a better choice

Okay now you go and make sense. For me grippy is Mountain king, Seguaro, Nevegal and nobby nic. These usually are heavier tires if you go for the wider than 2.1 versions (I am abviously thinking tubeless which is not what he wants)

Hi-jack: I dont find the X-kings that great, could be riding style but I am happy with any other tire.

thinking of going tubeless, but don't have the funds right now...

I am running mine tubless, but I got the Race Sport versions rather than the full UST. The price is middle ground CWC sells the UST versions for R500 which is a ridiculously low price.

And yeah riding style can affect your tyre choice, I absolutly love the X-king Mnt king2 combo. I ride with now. But i have a fairly aggresive style especially on the technical stuff. And nothing has worked better for me. During the mud fest they slice through mud, and have oodles of grip left to clear slippery bridges and obstacles. and they shed very quickly.

After the last race 4 people in my office immediatly dumbed their crossmarks for x-kings and they are all absolutly loving them.

i was wondering the same thing. i have a set of 2.3 Nevegals here, but figured 2.1 small block eights would be a better choice

Ok the nevegal is the tank of tires :) i would stick with them in winter depending on where you hail from, in summer sure throw a SB8 on the back. I leave the grippy tyre in front since thats where 90% of your grip is needed. I will never win a race in my life and I dont plan on competing agains Stander anytime soon. So i wont mimic his phylosphy of really fast rolling no grip tyre choices.

I used to run a 2.1" SM8 on the back with a 2.1" Nevegal on front with my old XC duallie. The SM8 does loose a little traction at times, but you learn to ride this well later on. The 2.1" Nevegal rolls reasonably well on the front with decent grip.

thinking of going tubeless, but don't have the funds right now...

Then get the tubless tires run them with tubes "and yes its heavy .. point has been raised, and yes tubless with tubes will be even heavier" but when you have the dosh for a conversion kit you dont have to buy new rubber.

I wonder what the Slant Six is like... According to Kenda's marketing babble it's supposed to combine the best qualities of the Nevegal and SM8...