12 weeks to your first 100km

Hi all

Just to let you know about an online training programme for novices.

Bicycling, in conjunction with the Sports Science Institute is running an online training programme for novices doing their first 100km. Its scheduled to start 12 weeks before the Cape Argus Pick 'n Pay Cycle Tour, so if you are doing this race for the first time, or know of anyone else who is, please sign up at www.bicycling.co.za/static/challenge

You will receive the programme by email each week as well as various tips and advice to get you to the Big Day.

So if you think this will help you with your training, please sign up!

WA KAN MENS N GOEIE PROEGRAM IEWERS KRY VIR IEMAND WAT AL LANK RY ,EN DIE FIETSRY WIL ERNSTAG AAN PAK ??

You running any programs for a sub 3 Argus ?

running programmes will be made available for 2 oceans which is run on a similarbut shorter route. smiley36.gif smiley2.gif

I have just written a 12 week programme specifically aimed at a sub 3 hour Argus (and 3.5 and 4)

http://www.bikemaxpower.com/browse_products/13

I have a couple of questions, specifically for Peter, but I suppose anyone could give some input.

1.) Is a sub-3hr Argus a reasonable goal for me?

I

believe it should be possible, but as R800 is a fair amount of money, I

would like to get some additional opinions:

I did the 94.7 in 3:21 and I believe I could have knocked another

5-10min from that if I'd paced myself properly at the start (I was also

still able to walk the next day Tongue).

I rode around 540km in the 8 weeks leading up to the race (including

76km for Race for Victory and 103km for Telkom Satellite). Poor planning meant that this was a pretty fragmented mix of road, IDT and MTB. Prior to that, I was already reasonably fit and strong from rowing.

I think a picture says it best:

20071201_071802_Training.png

2.) Work constraints mean that I will probably only have about 1 - 1.5hrs per day (maybe stretching to 2 occasionally) to train during the week. This time would most likely be spent on the IDT. I have few such restrictions on my weekend time, though.

Would this provide enough training time? How are the weekly sessions arranged - would I be able to adapt the program to accommodate this?

3.) You are competing against a free product:

Cyclelab Argus Program

How does your program compare to this one? What additional benefits/features do you offer to make up the value of your program?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your answers.

Edward

I have just written a 12 week programme specifically aimed at a sub 3 hour Argus (and 3.5 and 4)

http://www.bikemaxpower.com/browse_products/13

I have a couple of questions' date=' specifically for Peter, but I suppose anyone could give some input.

1.) Is a sub-3hr Argus a reasonable goal for me?

I

believe it should be possible, but as R800 is a fair amount of money, I

would like to get some additional opinions:

I did the 94.7 in 3:21 and I believe I could have knocked another

5-10min from that if I'd paced myself properly at the start (I was also

still able to walk the next day Tongue).

I rode around 540km in the 8 weeks leading up to the race (including

76km for Race for Victory and 103km for Telkom Satellite). Poor planning meant that this was a pretty fragmented mix of road, IDT and MTB. Prior to that, I was already reasonably fit and strong from rowing.

I think a picture says it best:

20071201_071802_Training.png

2.) Work constraints mean that I will probably only have about 1 - 1.5hrs per day (maybe stretching to 2 occasionally) to train during the week. This time would most likely be spent on the IDT. I have few such restrictions on my weekend time, though.

Would this provide enough training time? How are the weekly sessions arranged - would I be able to adapt the program to accommodate this?

3.) You are competing against a free product:

Cyclelab Argus Program

How does your program compare to this one? What additional benefits/features do you offer to make up the value of your program?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your answers.

Edward

[/quote']

Hi Edward

Thanks for the post - I will try to answer your questions.

1. Is a sub 3 reasonable for you - this is the hardest question and I would really need more detail in terms of your recent results and equally importantly your seeded start group, before giving you any more reassurance. What I will say is that training 8 hours per week with focus is certainly a reasonable amount and doing it on an IDT is fine. I am happy to try to firm up on this opinion of you would like to mail me off list with more details.

2. The sessions are arranged in the optimum way but can be changed to suit each riders needs (within reason) and this can be discussed in the initial consultation that comes with the programme (Mail or phone/meet)

3. In terms of the Cyclelab programme, I am going to be careful here as we work pretty closely with them. The Cyclelab programme looks good, but I would say that ours is a llittle more specific and perhaps incorporates some more focus on increasing threshold power. We also incorporate an initial consultation with a coach to ensure the athlete gets the most out of the porgramme.

In terms of value I believe we offer a lot of the fee, and you can be sure that the programme is carefully put together using the latest and most recent training information and all of our experience.

Please feel free to mail me or call for more info.

Peter

peterbikemaxpower.com

BikeMax2008-03-13 05:05:11

You running any programs for a sub 3 Argus ?

Start in a front group and hurt yourself a bit on the hills easy as that.

Of course if you are a 100kg cough patato it will be hard.

But it's nothing special 3 hours is a lekker rustig pace