29er wheelsets

markgc

Parx and Monark- the AC's are light, fast and cheap but....not that tough - the hubs seem to be bullet proof but the rims are a tad soft. I've had to bend mine straight a few times and a friend flattened his rim against the rim bed.

I'm 80kg and wouldn't ride below 2bar to protect the rim.

Edit: The rim is fine but the rim hooks are weak and tend to fold onto the rim bed when smashed against rocks and such.

Oi, ive got AC's on my 29er too. Now u got me worried about those AND my tractor tyre :lol:

Hi all..some advice please

Looking to get a new wheelset for my 29er..

Im in JHB, can anyone recommend a good builder, the likes of cajees and Solomons have good deals, but im suspect of their building quality and expertise.

I have a budget of 5k.. what and where would you recommend?

See if you can find a good second hand DT SWiss rim with Hope Hubs... new they are about R6k to R7k. At 77kg you want a slightly more robust rim, so stay away from the ZTR or AC rims. (a lot of rims have weight limits near 80kg's)

Some good builders who might be able to help you would be Tim Kock from Complete Cyclist, and Ruan at FPC in Paulshof.

If you want a set of Mavic 29er Rims, i have a new set that may be up for sale... i built a Hope\DT set for myself so the Mavics not doing much (they only did the Sani2C)... personally though i like the Hopes

Edited by Paulst12

Oi, ive got AC's on my 29er too. Now u got me worried about those AND my tractor tyre :lol:

Why be worried? You only weigh like 35 kilos, so you will never damage the rims.

They were made for lightweights like you, not the fat ass 80+ kilo riders

Oops. My bad... ;-)

Don't be too stressed - I think my equipment fills the gap between my will to go fast and my lack of finesse!

If you want pedal harder cause you`re worried the rim will ding then just change the Crests for Arches and Revolution spokes from 1.5 to 1.7mm.

Edited by Berg Bok

Why be worried? You only weigh like 35 kilos, so you will never damage the rims.

Oi! Us tallies resent that remark!

Only way I'd get under 80kg is to cut a leg off...

I got a pair of bontrager wheels, which seem to be pretty strong.

I also have a pair of ZTR wheels, which are very light and seem to be quite strong too. That said, I try to avoid obstacles (big rocks etc) and go over/around them. Bicycle wheels are nancy compared to my KTM wheels

Getting back to the OP, only ever heard good things about Johan Bornman.

All my wheels have been built by Josh at Cyclists Workshop, and he does a good job (when he finally gets around to it...) shop is near leaping frog, lonehill/dainfern

Edited by King_Crispy

Oi! Us tallies resent that remark!

Only way I'd get under 80kg is to cut a leg off...

id have to cut both mine off to get to 35 :P

but ill take that as a compliment KC :)

A virtually bulletproof 29er set are Hope Pro2's laced to Velocity Blunts with DT spokes.

I have them on both my 29ers and I've never experienced any problems and I do enjoy rocky downhills!

See if you can find a good second hand DT SWiss rim with Hope Hubs... new they are about R6k to R7k. At 77kg you want a slightly more robust rim, so stay away from the ZTR or AC rims. (a lot of rims have weight limits near 80kg's)

Some good builders who might be able to help you would be Tim Kock from Complete Cyclist, and Ruan at FPC in Paulshof.

If you want a set of Mavic 29er Rims, i have a new set that may be up for sale... i built a Hope\DT set for myself so the Mavics not doing much (they only did the Sani2C)... personally though i like the Hopes

ok great, drop me a line if you decide on selling the mavaics, been looking at them too and they look awesome.

'They were made for lightweights like you, not the fat ass 80+ kilo riders '

Fat ass at 80 kg....? Fat ass is over 90 kg....it has to be...has to be has to be has to be :unsure:

I pretty much fall into the fat(ter)-ass 90+kg category and I have had no issues with my AC so far. I bought the 2011 model so not sure if there have been some improvements to rim strength. Really enjoying them and they're very good value in the rand per gram calculation.

The AC are sold as All Mountain...so in my midn its gotta be strong.

(Eks dik maar ek trap)