Fastest speed downhill on a MTB

tunariaan

Off Topic :blush:

I wonder how it must feel hitting a jump at those speeds and how amazing that airtime hang time must feel :P

...sounds like you wanna do some test piloting MissionS.

I'll be willing to make my speedometer availabe for this experiment. As for venue... there's the slopestyle type course at Jozi-X (across from the bike park). The hill is quite steap, so 50-60kph should be easily attainable (probably even more). Then there's the 2m high steel launch they have, and the air cushion to land in. (which they can place as far back as needed)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hit 86km/h on the dirt road from vredenburg to st'helenabaai last year on my old bike not sure what speeds i have hit this year because i removed my clock should maybe put her back on and go have some fun ..

Edited by rwa.basson

Guest Omega Man

Why , you ask omega man? To find out thats why. I always go down the single track so was wondering how steep a jeep track needs to be to do 89 kmh on it. Dont have a computer on my bike to find out.

OK phew. Thought you were one of those monkeys riding down the jeep track. I've hit 60 odd on that jeep track. I had to tuck and pedal big time on my DH bike to hit that tho. And the reason. I rode down there was cos my mate had broken his shoulder on the road gap.

Also. At the last Urban Assault held in Cape Town in 2009 the top speed was around 67kph. That speed was achieved by a HIGHLY skilled downhiller going as hard as he possibly could on steep jeep track. So as far as the 89kph claim goes....

In fact all this thread proves is that Cat Eyes are not entirely accurate.

Edited by Omega Man

...sounds like you wanna do some test piloting MissionS.I'll be willing to make my speedometer availabe for this experiment. As for venue... there's the slopestyle type course at Jozi-X (across from the bike park). The hill is quite steap, so 50-60kph should be easily attainable (probably even more). Then there's the 2m high steel launch they have, and the air cushion to land in. (which they can place as far back as needed)

Thanks pathces but my medical aid is depleted for the year :lol:

Over 80 on dirt does seem a bit fast to be true. I have done 79 on my dh bike on a tar road that was super steep. The brake discs were smoking afterwards and the front one turned blue.

Jimmy Hardtail at least TRY not to offend almost everyone on the thread at the same time...

Managed 79 down concrete strips at Otto's Bluff (PMB). Unfortunately the strips end at a T-junction with cane fields directly opposite. Those cane fields got to know me well as I tried to better that speed. Never could.

Guest Omega Man

Jimmy Hardtail at least TRY not to offend almost everyone on the thread at the same time...

I'm with him dude. At the 2009 Urban Assault Gee Atherton (2009 Downhill World Champion) clocked 65kmh on steep jeep track. I watched him and he was cranking all the way down the hill.

P.S. The FASTEST speed measured at the PMB downhill world cup in April was 78. Greg Minnaar clocked 68 through the trap. So all of you are faster than the fastest professional downhillers on the planet?

Edited by Omega Man

Single Track, 34km/h , caught a root, face first into a tree. broken eye socket , broken jaw and 4 other facial fractures including sinus cavity. Lesson learnt : Doesnt matter how good you think you are, DO NOT GET TOO COCKY!

I also know someone like that eyecandy...the missus...

:clap: so im not alone!

Ive only ever beaten one guy down Breedts Nek. He's a hubber too so i wont mention names :P

Some of the speeds mentioned are insane! w00t.gif Doubt I've ever done more than 60 on dirt. Have broken 60 down from the mast though. Respect to you speed freaks. thumbup1.gif

Edited by flymango

my record on dirt is 89 Km/h, it was last year at Sani2c, day 2, coming down the valley, on that "wet route" section.

My XX brakes were literally steaming, after braking for that big sweep corner near the bottom.