Momsen 29er...in Reynolds steel :)

Griffin

Brant Richards On Reynolds 520:

Other tubes. All they seem?

On-One frames will not be available in Reynolds 520 tubing at any point. We were offered it by our frame builders a year or so ago, who thought we'd like it.

After a bit of digging, the best we got out of anyone that all Reynolds 520 was, was a sticker, that you paid $5 for, and tubing from a Taiwanese manufacturer, which as far as I could ascertain, was the same as the tubing we were using.

Our framebuilders (we've changed since then) suggested that the Reynolds sticker would be a good selling point for us.

We disagreed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brant Richards On Reynolds 520:

Other tubes. All they seem?

On-One frames will not be available in Reynolds 520 tubing at any point. We were offered it by our frame builders a year or so ago, who thought we'd like it.

After a bit of digging, the best we got out of anyone that all Reynolds 520 was, was a sticker, that you paid $5 for, and tubing from a Taiwanese manufacturer, which as far as I could ascertain, was the same as the tubing we were using.

Our framebuilders (we've changed since then) suggested that the Reynolds sticker would be a good selling point for us.

We disagreed.

Haha, good one Brant!

I reckon the frame is overpriced. If one doesn't have parts lying around for the build, it would probably end up costing around R10-12k for the build.

Compare that with the R5k I paid for my complete Peace9r brand new.

Which is the better brand!

Reynolds Technology

COLD-WORKED CHROME-MOLY STEEL

With similar properties to our original 531 brand alloy. For cycling, these are mandrel butted for accurate profiles, and available in a wide range of shapes. Weight savings from butting provide competitively priced, light framesets. The Reynolds "520" range uses the same alloy, made under license for us in Taiwan and subject to the same quality standards.

Reynolds 525 range can be used for sports car chassis, suspension units, motorcycle race frames etc. in welded and fillet-brazed structures.

Why it works:

UTS: 700-900 MPa, density 7.78gm/cc

The same 0.30% carbon steel chemistry as our 725 range but without the heat-treatment process. The strength and ductility can be varied by cold-working and normalizing if required.

Edited by The Crow

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Cause I'm a fan and supporter of local? Am I Morewood's Maven for having started several threads about them and have owned 3 of their bikes?

Thanks for the compliment anyway.

Momsen is as local as Swift/Silverback is (run by South Africans). And no it's not a compliment. You started banging on about Momsen Bikes about the same time Victor stopped his activity on The Hub.

Edited by Bad Girl

Momsen is as local as Swift/Silverback is (run by South Africans). And no it's not a compliment. You started banging on about Momsen Bikes about the same time Victor stopped his activity on The Hub.

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/british-shorthair-cat-clawing.jpg

I'd say any parallel drawn with The Tipping Point is a compliment. My banging about Momsen started the first time I owned one.

Is Morewood also not local cause the have frames and tubes are made in the east? What about Pyga? Of all those mentioned Silverback is the least "local" brand. But I suppose by your logic Ibis isn't American, Turner wasn't American till recently, Pinarello isn't Italian...tehir all just Eastern brands I suppose.

Have you noticed what Momsen has done and is doing for local talent? That alone doesn't make you appreciate the effort, time and money being spend?

When I build my Ibis I only bought brands who have local support and dealer network. Just how I'm wired.

Edited by The Crow

Nothing is truly local any more, cars, bikes whatever just assembled from parts sourced from around the world, does it make it any better or worse? who gives a rats bottom

Nothing is truly local any more, cars, bikes whatever just assembled from parts sourced from around the world, does it make it any better or worse? who gives a rats bottom

Exactly. But burn me at the stake for supporting a guy or brand for going it alone when it eill have been much safer to wotk for a big corporate company. The fact that their bikes go like stink just makes it that much easier.