(Road) Paint A Bike

Lou Zealand

Couple of days ago was out riding and had to navigate past a chap painting road markings (with a paint brush, nogal) and to cut a long story short had to go over his handiwork.

I presume several motor vehicles had done likewise as there was there were these weird white lined smears immediately adjacent to the road markings looking like albino skid marks...

Anyhoo, I got paint on my tyres and thought little of it. Last night when I cleaned my bike I noticed there was some paint sprayed on the back and bottom of my frame.

Anyone experienced this before? Is there anything I *shouldn't use* to remove the specks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Try a flat chisel. Be sure that you keep it at a steep angle as you belt it with a 2kg hammer. If your frame is carbon you will need to smack it really hard.

I love this place - good, hard earned knowledge rises like cream. Not! ;-)

Sand blaster I reckons the right kit.

Sorry to break the beautifully nasty run of this thread, but I found that the edge of a credit card works well to remove things like paint spots. It is hard enough to exert some force but soft enough not to scratch too much if you're not too ham-fisted. A soft rag (that old race t-shirt) and a bit of mineral turps with some gentle rubbing will take off what's left. If any minor scratches are left, car polish and some elbow grease will sort them out. Try it first under your BB before doing it where a possible mess-up will be visible.

Edited by DJR

Sorry to hear that, man.

if my horse were sprayed with paint, it would be eina.

And that road paint stuff is meant to last long.

My LBS said that spiritus would not damage a paint job. That should be enough with a gentle edge like plastic or wood. No metal on metal!

Couple of days ago was out riding and had to navigate past a chap painting road markings (with a paint brush, nogal) and to cut a long story short had to go over his handiwork.

I presume several motor vehicles had done likewise as there was there were these weird white lined smears immediately adjacent to the road markings looking like albino skid marks...

Anyhoo, I got paint on my tyres and thought little of it. Last night when I cleaned my bike I noticed there was some paint sprayed on the back and bottom of my frame.

Anyone experienced this before? Is there anything I *shouldn't use* to remove the specks?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can safely remove tar and paint from your bikes paint job with a product called prepsol/prekleen. Any good automotive paint retailer should be able to sell it you.