Commuting by bike...

davetapson

I'm considering commuting to work a couple of days of the week. Family obligations mean that training on weekends causes more pain in more ways than any benefits derived, and I see this as the best way of getting training in.

It's gonna be a bit of a pain as our office does not have showers - so I'll have to join Virgin Active at Old Ed's for a shower!!

Commute is from Benoni to Houghton - 35km.

Are there any commuters out there with any advice?

Edited by davetapson

Go for it. Cars & traffic suck. Been doing it for years now, sometimes 90k + round trips over chapmans peak. Beats picking your nose in a 30km long queue.

Get a good bag for your clothes etc. Do you need to carry a laptop?

Find commuting buddies as it makes getting out of bed easier.

Make yourself an ICE ID tag with name, a contact number and medical aid details and hang it where it can be found. (or get a genuine ICE tag)

Spares spares spares. You may never need them but rather have them.

Always help out a fellow commuter as the favor WILL be returned in some way.

Get a bell

Greet everybody along the way

Plan well

Possibly leave clothes at work on your non-commute days to reduce what you have to carry.

Lots of lights/reflectors

A fair bit of common sense and anticipation (expect all car will do stupid things).

Ride leisurely to work to reduce sweating, and ride hard on the way home.

Enjoy the great feeling of not sitting in traffic, saving petrol, saving money, saving the environment, training, saving time, etc. :clap:

Its the way to go ,

I got myself a single speed mtb for this exact reason and love it. normally commute on a Tue,Wed,Thur.Monday take what i need for those days and leave it at work ( clothes , shoes ect ) friday bring all the dirty clothes home my wife got me a crumpler laptop backpack. its the bomb so only carry lunch and laptop and rain coat with me .

Just do it , my advice it Jhb is a mtb though , tried it on my road bike and that was rough. My SS mtb is great for on and off the pavements ect.

Was thinking of doing this as well. Where do you keep your bike? I am moving offices soon and that means that my commute will only be 11km to work, but it means riding through one of the heaviest congested roads in Cape Town. I normally commute by motorbike everyday but cycling does sound fun, especially saving on fuel costs.

I'm not a fan of parking my beloved Merida on the street chained to a pole. It would be stolen in 5 minutes.

I try commute as often as possible by bike, that ends up 3-4 x a week, although my route is shorter, but makes all the difference to my day. I hate driving in Jhb!

My advice would be mtb with hardy commuter tyres (see CRC for options) that means you can do some stretches off road and on the pavements (example: path coming up the southern side of the derelict Huddle Park) thus avoiding the roads and traffic where ever possible. Also bunny hop onto pavements to go round traffic lights so not to pi$$ off motorists sitting .. waiting.

I'm starting my 21km-one-way commute from Paulshof to Midrand next month as soon as the sun rises before 06.15.

Singlespeed MTB - Nobby tires, leaving the laptop at the office on commute days. Will drive in on Mondays and Fridays to take in and bring home office clothes.

I'm really looking forward to how the 42km per day is going to up my fitness level compared to the normal once or twice a weekend rides that I can currently do...