32GI

ridr

@Wolffm: Thanks for the open discussion - you can go back in the history of the Hub....no one has EVER been so accomodating or open to answer questions! Hats off to that...

As far as adevrtising goes...this is an OPEN forum....you can push you product as much as you like....every day here I read about hundreds of product endorsements and non endorsements!!

The day that you see a banner at the top promoting STANS /MAVIC/ Continental etc etc etc....THREN only should you feel guilty of not advertising on here....

As with all great products - word of mouth is you best advertiser...I'm sure time will tell also for 32Gi....best of luck!! I for one will try it....and report back here sometime...

My question to you....How important is a total low GI diet in this scheme of things? Can I still have some pasta / limited sugars in my normal diet BUT switch to low GI just for the spesific event? Will there be benefits in going that route or do you advocate a total low GI lifestyle?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought my tub at Kotov today.  He's a really nice guy and somewhat surprised at all the cyclist visiting his store lately smiley36.gif.  Kotov was very accomodating and offered me to taste the peach and rasberry.

Bought the peach, thought it might be too sweet initially, but the taste is actually ok and not overpowering.  The taste reminds me of another drink, but i cant put my finger on it....  The drink does have a powdery taste to it, but doesnt bother me.

I did a ride, but can not comment on the effect that 32GI had on it.  Still too early to tell.  My avg on a specific piece of road (30km on Bottelary) was approx 1.5km faster than usual but that could be due to many factors eg wind / time of day ect ect.  This propably means that 32GI is at least not worse than any product ive taken so far, but the verdict is still out on whether its better.  A longer endurance type event would be a better test imo.

CJVDM2010-05-01 14:43:57

@Cassie

My background is wellness consulting, and I spend a lot of time mainly with families, especially kids trying to get them to eat healthily for life, meaning cutting out the sugars, preservatives, colorants, etc. I often give talks o the subject and to be honest, I myself have gone from 112kg powerlifter/bodybilder to a 68 kg triathlete, and been through the performance aspects of many sports. One thing I can tell you from experience, and from other coaches I speak to on a regular basis, is that eating a low GI diet will benefit your performance like you cannot believe. A slow and constant release of energy is something that you can really only appreciate once you feel it, and when you do take in a high GI substance and you feel that immediate kick then you really reap the benefit. I am not saying that there is no benefit for high GI substances in sport, of course they all have their place, but from a health perspective, i believe i eating for energy, for immune system strength, for good digestive function, and the complex carbohydrates combined with good protein and a lot of fruit and vegetable variety, will change your life for good. Its not a sacrifice and in all honesty when you do have your pizzas and pastas occasionally you will really enjoy them more. Its a percentages game, I eat roughly 50 meals a week, so if 3 are treats, well that means i eat great 94% of the time, however if i only eat 21 meals a week and 4 or so are bad well then I am eating bad at least 20% of the time=not good at all. You will not only reap the health benefits but the performance benefits as well.

I write a monthly publication called the Fitness Freak (on Facebook), its for free no profit at all, motivation, health, nutrition, recipes, to me there is a big education going on and people are becoming far more health conscious, its really time to empower each other to be more knowledgeable on the right food selections.

all the best

M

@CJVDM one thing I should mention is you can make the drink the night or even days before and store it in the refrigerator with no product degradation, it lasts "forever". Not that we have tested "forever" LOL , but I have had bottles of my own sitting in the fridge for 3 weeks and still fresh when it comes out.

My sporting background is that I used to swim at a very high level about 20 years ago but this was in spring events (used to hold SA record for 100m breaststroke, a 60 second event). Obviously although I still have that competitive streak my makeup and build are not ideal for endurance sports. I have been riding mountain bike for 2.5 years now and have been determined to conquer the endurance thing.

Read this thread about 2 weeks ago and could relate to some of what was written about high GI drinks, especially after my experiences at this year's Epic. Rode last year's Epic using regular carb drinks with a weaker partner than me and didn't have any issues. Rode this year with a stronger partner and really suffered on a lot of the days. Obviously going too hard on day 1 was not a good way to start and by the time I reached the railway line I was broken. For the next days we rode at a more sinsible pace but I found that by the last waterpoint I could not resist downing a coke or two. This was great in getting me halfway home (the sugar high is marvelous while it lasts). Problem was when the levels started dropping there was no way of topping up. After going through the same thing for 3 consecutive days I managed to discipline myself to avoid coke at all costs and this helped a lot.

Based on my Epic experience I could relate to what was being written in this thread and decided to take a chance and do exactly what you are advised never to do, try a new product in a race. I bought a tub of this stuff for the Joburg2c (took my regular carb drink along too just in case). Because day 1 was a non racing day I figured that could try this stuff and if it really didn't work for me I would switch to whatever was on offer at the water tables and it would not cost my too much.

Rode day 1 at a steady pace (120km in 5:17) and did not feel to bad so decided to try the stuff again for day 2 (the first race day). My stratergy here was to start with this stuff in my camelback and go for as long as it lasted and then switch to whatever was on offer at to water tables (powerade, energade, etc). Managed this stage in just over 4 hours and felt strong all the way. Unfortunately my polar lost it's marbles and reset 3 hours into the race so I don't know what my average hr looked like. After this I was convinced that I could race with 32Gi and would just have to figure out what to do when it ran out. Stage 3 was good too but I guess the real first test was stage 4, Sterkfontein to Winterton as this had some real climbing. As it turned out this was our best result of the race although I did suffer in the last 25km. Stage 5 to Kamburg was also good too. Unfortunately in the Kamburg I picked up the stomach bug that affected so many. Stage 6 was really tough. Did not have to take a nature break on course but had to keep going after crossing the finish and just made the toilet. Felt the carbs running out on the 2nd big climb of the day and had to take a gel to make it up (this didn't help a fragile stomach). Did not ride well for the last hour of the day. Seems like an upset stomach affects your body's ability to absorb any nutrition. Stage 7 (Sani2c stage 1) went well but could have gone better. Stomach was still not 100% and I was forced to take a break on route (at least I was prepared). By stage 8 I was pretty much back to normal and then obvioulsy the last stage is just a sprint.

My overall imperssion.

1. I rode this race with the same team mate as the Epic and where he was clearly stronger than me in the Epic we were far better matched in this race.

2. I definately did not experience highs / lows while using 32Gi and managed to maintain a constant effort. This is probably ideal for IM.

3. My polar lost it's marbles on stage 2 (first race day) and stage 9 but what I found interesting for the other stages was that my average HR was almost identicle from day to day and about 6bpm higher than in the Epic. During the 2 stages where my stomach was not 100% the HR was similar to the Epic.

4. 32Gi was good for 4 hours but then I found I was looking for something to eat (just for comfort). This is what I am going to have to figure out.

Obviously, having the Epic as training for this event is a huge advantage but we started out hoping for a top 30 finish and ended up 7th. Much better than we ever expected. I am sure nutrition played a big role in this. I think I will continue using 32Gi.

Hi Gravity Sux

What is your name and race number for the Epic and Joburg2c please.

Thanks

Hi Gravity Sux

What is your name and race number for the Epic and Joburg2c please.

Thanks

Rory Mapstone

Joburg2c - 280 (number board 1280)

Epic 2010 - 173

also if you are interested

Sani2c 2010 - 2028

Sabie Experience 2009 - 174

I knew this already, but after doing a few hours of the 24hr (about 5hrs Saturday night and 5hrs Sunday mormning, 20 laps):

No amount of any energy drink will make up for lack of endurance training and lack of sleep! But the 32gi was nice anyway. Had to have some peanut butter & honey samies along the way also.

Saturday 8th May, 32Gi Team will be at the Sweat Shop in Dunkeld, from 9am - 13:30 - Pop in for a tasting and or product info session ;-).. FREE DRINK to fuel you for the day.

Where else in Gauteng is this product sold?

I take it Dunkeld SS is one of those places.

wolfmm - what would you recommend a 32gi comrades runner to eat for breakfast on the day of the race so as not to offset the effects of 32gi before the race starts

thank you

did a 131km ride on sunday , ave speed 27.6km/h climbed 1365m, I had 2 slices of low gi bread with peanut butter , drank 500ml 30 mins prior to ride and made up 2x 750ml botles on the ride .

Got home , was not hungry , i did not use any bars or gels on the ride.

I believe if used properly with the right diet this stuff is greatsmiley32.gif

*** QUICK HIJACK***

while we speaking about low Gi bread have you tried the SASKO honey and oats low Gi bread? i love it!! toasted really well too

*** HIJACK OFF***

Myself and Beee both tried this product for the first time over the weekend.Got it from Sweat shop on Friday and did a 25km run on Saturday....only had a very small breakfast and did not take any thing on the route,only had about 5ooml before the run.

Seriously impressed so far,felt great all the way...

Will give it a go on Sunday when we do a 32km race,final long run before comrades.

Wolffm,don't want to read all 25 pages again,what do we need to do to get 32gi on route at the Comrades?

@faceplant - Great Hijack,

That bread is great, I discovered it a few months ago, as was looking for a replacement bread for a clients kids, brilliant stuff, I bought a few loaves myself, great for pre-race meals as well. Another great bread is the Woolworths Low GI Seed Loaf (linseed base), brilliant tasting and healthy. So 2 options, I am loving these new choices coming out only thing I still stress on is the preservatives, will give you some home recipes if you want for any bakers or chefs out there.

@faceplant - Great Hijack' date='

That bread is great, I discovered it a few months ago, as was looking for a replacement bread for a clients kids, brilliant stuff, I bought a few loaves myself, great for pre-race meals as well. Another great bread is the Woolworths Low GI Seed Loaf (linseed base), brilliant tasting and healthy. So 2 options, I am loving these new choices coming out only thing I still stress on is the preservatives, will give you some home recipes if you want for any bakers or chefs out there.[/quote']

That would be cool. Post some here.

I have made bread in the past with the yeast etc.

Was quite fun.

Even tried to add banana's into the yeast mix but that didnt work out. Found that self raising flour worked there.

Back then I was very keen to try and make a bread that I could use while racing that has all the right stuff in there so I wouldnt have to use anything else on the ride (except for drink obviously)

I am always hungry and I eat all day long so even in a normal race I eat.

I can pack away quite a large amount of food in an endurance race like the DC.

I have even seen that adding extra things into the bread can eliminate the need to put something on it, just cut and eat.

What about adding some palatinose into your bread mix so that it would be flavored enough to eat without anything on it.

Anyone else try anything nice?

Archived