Build-a-Bike - Enriching the lives of the less fortunate

divernick

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this (from News24 http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Transport-dept-donates-bikes-to-schools-20120329):

Johannesburg - A total of 769 bicycles have been given to schools in the Thembisile Hani Municipality for use by pupils, the Mpumalanga transport department said on Thursday.

"It is very sad that a learner travels more than 3km to school and on arrival you find that the learners are tired and cannot focus in class," Transport MEC Dikeledi Mahlangu said.

"As government, we want to put an end to this suffering. We want you to arrive in school ready to study."

Mahlangu was addressing about 700 schoolchildren at the donation ceremony on Wednesday, her department said in a statement.

The bicycles were donated as part of the government's initiative to ensure that pupils arrived at school on time.

Mahlangu told the children and their parents that the bicycles were school property and not for personal use. She said when a child was no longer a pupil at the school, the bicycle would have to remain there.

"The bicycles are not meant for pleasure. We do not want to see learners racing with the bicycles after school hours," Mahlangu said.

"Parents must not use the bicycles as their transport mode and find that the learner is now walking to school again," she said.

Another bike donated - pics to follow.....

Anyone got a seatpost clamp to donate? 27.2mm seatpost, so clamp to fit 30.8mm I guess?

• 3 weeks later...

Our latest donation:

This is Knowledge Sibanda. He lives in Nelmaphius, Mamelodi and travels to Die Wilgers most days to do garden work. The distance is about 9km and he will save R36 every day he rides instead of using the taxi. That comes to R720 per month if he works 20 times a month.

http://www.buildabikesa.com/images/stories/pretoria-20120331-00155.jpg

Good work Nick, unfortunately don't have many spares being new to the sport, but let's keep this going. I think it can be very successful

I would like to say a huge thank you to Shawn from Durbs for his generous donation of a big box of parts that I received today. In the box are cranksets, pedals, bars, stems, grips, shoes, saddles and more!

Thanks again!

So last week one of my bike recipients, Mashudu, almost got taken out by an errant taxi driver near Diepsloot. He wasn't hurt but his bike took a beating. The rear dérailleur and wheel took the brunt of it. I managed to bend the non-replaceable hanger back into shape, but the rim is toast.

That would be awesome, thanks! PM me your details so I can grab the goodies from you.

I am going to try and find time this long weekend to rebuild the poor guy's wheel onto a new rim....

Tried to donate a rock shox fork to some charity a while back but went cold.

Still up for grabs if you want it.

Tried to donate a rock shox fork to some charity a while back but went cold.

Still up for grabs if you want it.

Hey Smolster, that would be awesome! Thanks for the offer!

PM me your details so that we can arrange pickup/delivery.

Much appreciated!

So last week one of my bike recipients, Mashudu, almost got taken out by an errant taxi driver near Diepsloot. He wasn't hurt but his bike took a beating. The rear dérailleur and wheel took the brunt of it. I managed to bend the non-replaceable hanger back into shape, but the rim is toast.

Sounds like a good cause. I've got a couple rims lying around. PM me for info.