Jo'burg hill categorization / avg gradient %'s

dracs

During the week it's crazy with cars and trucks and on weekends, it's a ghost town.

Yes very quiet and never had a problem . 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The East Rand does not have much to offer . There is a hill in Meadowdale ( Edenvale /Germiston ) that starts at Fleming rd along Newton and finally up Essex . Its about 2km in length but not sure of elevation and gradient . . I've seen some guys walk it but a good 24 x 36/42 gets you up there at a about 12kph . We of course also have AG de Wit drive going up from Edenvale to Dawnview . I generally climb them each once a week depending on time of day i train . 

Flip I stay very close to this. I had heard there was a climb but didn't know exactly where. Thanks.

The East Rand does not have much to offer . There is a hill in Meadowdale ( Edenvale /Germiston ) that starts at Fleming rd along Newton and finally up Essex . Its about 2km in length but not sure of elevation and gradient . . I've seen some guys walk it but a good 24 x 36/42 gets you up there at a about 12kph . We of course also have AG de Wit drive going up from Edenvale to Dawnview . I generally climb them each once a week depending on time of day i train . 

Which is why you have flat and fast races which do wonders for your seeding

Flip I stay very close to this. I had heard there was a climb but didn't know exactly where. Thanks.

To make it even more exciting you then turn right at the top and make your way onto Sam Green rd , cross the N12 bridge and climb Wessel rd into Sunnyridge . Them make your way down to Kraft rd turn up Barbara and the left up Richards drive and back the way you came . Do that twice and you have one hell of a work out after a good 40km around the O R Tambo .  :D  

To make it even more exciting you then turn right at the top and make your way onto Sam Green rd , cross the N12 bridge and climb Wessel rd into Sunnyridge . Them make your way down to Kraft rd turn up Barbara and the left up Richards drive and back the way you came . Do that twice and you have one hell of a work out after a good 40km around the O R Tambo .  :D  

Iv'e done that climb. I usually climb from the bottom of bedfordview near that intersection that goes towards AG de wit. Climb along the highway and turn right at the bridge. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another nice hill in the south is on the r82 north towards jhb.... turn left up to afrisam quarry.... steady and always a head wind.... any ideas on a Everesting climb that hasnt been done in the east???? Linksfield ridge abit out dated and 111 reps will drive one dilly

Another nice hill in the south is on the r82 north towards jhb.... turn left up to afrisam quarry.... steady and always a head wind.... any ideas on a Everesting climb that hasnt been done in the east???? Linksfield ridge abit out dated and 111 reps will drive one dilly

you talking about turning right off of swartkoppies and climbing up to mondeor/south gate ?

komoot put it at around 5% gradient for around 6/8 km

Edited by ouzo

Anyone done Doreen road going up from Hendrik Potgieter towards Ontdekkers ? That is a pretty steep kicker. Definitely granny gear material.

Yes many times you a few years ago you used to be to off road the first half from the side of the mountain only joining the road about half way up was quite unpleasant

Yip indeed that one... good fun to do 10min efforts on it...

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of turning left to the Afrisam quarry, turn right across the intersection, and follow the "driveway" that joins the road just off the intersection.

A nice little gem, hidden away from many... https://www.strava.com/segments/15205476

Road bike test
Ride Segment 
Johannesburg South, Gauteng, South Africa
  • Distance 0.39km
  • Avg Grade17%
  • Lowest Elev1,672m
  • Highest Elev1,739m
  • Elev Difference68m
  • 76 Attempts By 36 People
post-1372-0-12685500-1553630516_thumb.png

Instead of turning left to the Afrisam quarry, turn right across the intersection, and follow the "driveway" that joins the road just off the intersection.

A nice little gem, hidden away from many... https://www.strava.com/segments/15205476

Road bike test

Ride Segment

• Distance 0.39km

• Avg Grade17%

• Lowest Elev1,672m

• Highest Elev1,739m

• Elev Difference68m

attachicon.gifStrava.PNG
Or don't [emoji6] that climb is straight from the devil [emoji48]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A nice little gem, hidden away from many... https://www.strava.com/segments/15205476

Road bike test
Ride Segment 

• Distance 0.39km
  • Avg Grade17%
  • Lowest Elev1,672m
  • Highest Elev1,739m
  • Elev Difference68m

:w00t:

Im so giving this a try - thank you

Road bike test
Ride Segment 
  • Distance 0.39km
  • Avg Grade17%
  • Lowest Elev1,672m
  • Highest Elev1,739m
  • Elev Difference68m

• 4 months later...

Anyone keen on a everesting up butchers??? See someone made a segment on strava for it

Anyone keen on a everesting up butchers??? See someone made a segment on strava for it

How many would you have to do [emoji54]

58 reps from mall of the souff to the glen vista gym..... a 10.5km loop... abit tooo ambitious