Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Cape Town commuters: Put the following in your diary!

--

CYCLE TO WORK DAY – THURSDAY 18 OCTOBER

The Outriders Cycle Club of Table View and the Pedal Power Association are promoting a “cycle to work day” on Thursday 18 October in support of National Transport month.

On this day, cyclists who pedal to work along the West Coast cycle path are in for a surprise: The Outriders and PPA will have their gazebos up between 06h30 and 08h00 at the Woodbridge Island traffic light and will offer a FREE cup of coffee to commuters, walkers and roller bladers – all forms of active mobility are welcome to stop for a cuppa.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cape Town commuters: Put the following in your diary!

--

CYCLE TO WORK DAY – THURSDAY 18 OCTOBER

The Outriders Cycle Club of Table View and the Pedal Power Association are promoting a “cycle to work day” on Thursday 18 October in support of National Transport month.

On this day, cyclists who pedal to work along the West Coast cycle path are in for a surprise: The Outriders and PPA will have their gazebos up between 06h30 and 08h00 at the Woodbridge Island traffic light and will offer a FREE cup of coffee to commuters, walkers and roller bladers – all forms of active mobility are welcome to stop for a cuppa.

Very nice! :clap:

I'll be cycling from the southern suburbs towards Simon's Town on my usual Thursday commute but I don't suppose there'll be any free coffee along the way :(

Commuting toughens you for race day!

My best races have been during the time I was commuting to- and from work.

Heck, I really need to get my plans together and ride to work again, thanks for the inspiration guys!

Cheers,

I also use Strava and log all my rides, including commutes. It's a great way to see your fitness progress on a known route that you ride often.

Commute to work

January 2012, best time: 1.08.05

April 2012 best time: 1.06.20

October 2012: 1.02.51

Edited by divernick

I measure my fitness according to how often blow up on my way home. I am now down to maybe once or twice a week. This 70k a day and hills at the end of the day is sometimes a killer

So, it was a beautiful day today and I thought I will take the long way from Durbanville to the city via Tableview. A low and behold I get a flat even with knoble tire, tire liner and stans in the tube. Sometimes not your day

Thanks to the 2 guys on ridged mtb's( nice Niner!) and the fast and friendly red fixie guy for overing help. To the rest, thanks for nothing

Moral of the story: always go prepared with extra tubes. And of course food. My choice an apple in the morning and jungle bar in afternoon.

Crossmarks I probably get the best part of a year out of them, but main reasons for changing is blistering due to sealant or too many cuts from glass and bungs everywhere. They are certainly the most durable tyre I've tried out of many.

I run Crossmark on rear and Monorail on front. Monorails normally need to be replaced due to blistering, but also get the best part of a year out of them. Once only got about 3 months tho.

MK's wore out quick, RK's lasted ok but got cut by glass easily. Bontrager Super-X Revolts were good - but clogged up with mud on muddy rides, so don't use them because of that.

But for robust - Crossmark.

Monthly distance is probably 600km ave. Don't ride (train/commute) much in Winter months.

Thank you

I have learnt that I need a different backpack. It is fine for walking, but sitting bent over for an hour does not work. it feels as if the backpack only makes contact at one spot on my spine.

I need advise on where to go and find a curved one.

yes, let us know about backpacks used on commutes. I use to have an excellent 32l K-way bag but was stolen, now have a 25l Hydrapak but just too small...

I bought this one from Cape Union. K-Way Meru 25 Backpack.

http://www.k-way.co.za/FileAssets/Commerce/133/0/LR_K-Way_Meru_25_Back_Pack__Black_Orange_-_098685.jpg

Think I paid about R390 for it, can take a bladder, shoes, work clothes, towel, deo, cream, lunch etc. And all fit in perfectly, No regrets. And it has ventilation for your back,its perfect for commuting.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Catatonic_Joe

http://www.k-way.co.za/FileAssets/Commerce/133/0/LR_K-Way_Meru_25_Back_Pack__Black_Orange_-_098685.jpg

Think I paid about R390 for it, can take a bladder, shoes, work clothes, towel, deo, cream lunch etc all fit in percectly, No regrets. And it has ventilation for your back,its perfect for commuting.

Been riding with one of these for over two years now.

The fitted rain cover is also a priceless feature and the fact that you can access the contents of the bag from either the top of the bottom. I did have them lengthen the shoulder straps for me and since then I can't fault the bag in anyway.

It has seen a few hard falls and has survived these well!

Think I paid about R390 for it, can take a bladder, shoes, work clothes, towel, deo, cream lunch etc all fit in percectly, No regrets. And it has ventilation for your back,its perfect for commuting.

Well looks like im going to go buy one of these this weekend, just what i need. squashing everything together doesnt work so well.

As for the topic - ive recently started commuting to work and i must say it has been great.

It is great to share different views and experiences. My first day was nerve racking though, taped the garmin gps to my handlebars and there i went. First three days the route was not the same blush.png but after that you start to know the areas you go through and where to be careful.

I must say earlier their was a comment that pedestrians in the pecking order of the roads and they on the bottom of the list, but I must say, some of them are just oblivious to when you shout coming by or whatever, the pedestrians have been one the biggest dangers to me.. not the guy in the taxi..

One thing that I have have mastered though is to fold a collared shirt in such a way that when I unpack it, it does not look like it just came from the ironing basket, first day commute - get to work with a crinkle shirt - Not on!

Next on the list is to try get another wheel set, as mentioned before, riding with MTB tyres on the road can become costly. Tubless conties or which ever brand arent cheap these days. Suppose the money I save from fuel can fund my new wheelset.

You will soon start buying clothes based on how well it fares against creasing and shoes on the principles of weight and can they be folded / manipulated to get them to fit in your bag the way you want them to.