The Danny Hart Attack

Capricorn

A piece on the youngest legend in the annals of DH history:

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb5151205/p4pb5151205.jpg

Fort William 2010 ...

Any World Championship is a big event, but in 2011 it seemed that the level of interest and expectation heading into Champery was bigger than ever. Gwin’s record breaking five wins from seven world cups was unprecedented, especially as Minnaar had been the only other rider to mop up the remainder of the first places. Without a doubt the favourite, the pressure was on for Aaron and it seemed as though it was his race to lose. Yet if you believed the speculation there were quarters suggesting that he was lacking in the technical skill to pull it out of the bag on such a challenging track. But that was rubbish, as the greatest rider of 2011 and winning the World Cup overall he’s already proven that he is more than capable. But 2011 has been more than the year of Gwin, it’s been the year that the young guns threw caution to the wind and stamped their indelible mark on the old guard. No longer is it just a few names at the top of the time sheets for below the American have been a whole host of others who’ve upped their game massively.

http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6729962/p4pb6729962.jpg

...Fort William 2011

The final bit:

To see someone you’ve ridden with for years achieve the ultimate goal was spell-binding. At just 19 Danny had achieved in as many years of being alive as Steve Peat had virtually spent trying. In conditions far worse than those of the earlier riders the dominance was unbelievable, a fairy tale of epic proportions, a story that’s going down in the history books of downhill. There were tears on the cheeks of many, not least those of his parents, Sue & Paul, who’ve supported him every step of the way. To those that know them this wasn’t just one day, this was the culmination of nearly ten years of sacrifice, effort and talent, hundreds of thousands of miles driven and flown across the world, the good days and the bad. And it was worth it all, every penny and every hour. Number one in the world. From here on he is the 2011 Downhill World Champion, the little kid from the north of England who for years had ridden virtually every race that there was to be ridden in the UK, big and small. And despite the inescapable pressure of the expectation heaped upon his shoulders he just rode his bike in the only way he knew. The week before all he’d wanted to do was ride with friends from back home in Morzine and was virtually first in the queue for every practice session in Champery. No pretension here, just a kid who loves riding.

This one goes to Danny of course, but to Sue and Paul too for the years of dedication. You all earned it, now go and enjoy it.

The rest at Pinkbike

Edited by Capricorn

I have to quote this bit I read over here. It's as hilarious as it is true :)

Apparently, these two British announcers are huge fans of downhill mountain bike rider Danny Hart. Their overly-enthusiastic, near-rapturous joy at witnessing Hart careening down the track at breakneck speed is simply stunning. If Hart’s run would have lasted ten seconds longer, either one of them would have had a massive aneurysm or the excitement of it all would have caused one of their heads to blow clear off their body, Scanners-style. Money quote: “WHAT THE HELL?!?!? HOW DOES DANNY HART SIT DOWN WITH BALLS THAT BIG?!!?!” Awesome. The intensity these blokes brought to the telecast is utterly jaw-dropping. Really, I have nothing more to add. Just watch, listen, be amazed and you’ll understand.

Traditionally I’m an America-first, USA-chanting purposefully oblivious asshole, but after a while a mans just gotta admit when another country is better at something. And the English are without a doubt the best sports announcers on the planet. No question. These dudes somehow manage to make soccer interesting to Americans by spouting out the most outlandish comments ever heard during televised competition. Stuff that no American announcer has the bollocks to say. And there has never been a better example of the Brits’ complete domination of announcing than this mountain bike race final. Both of these grown-ass men just go ballistic over this dude Danny Hart. Like I’m ready to go on eBay and buy this <oops!>’s jersey right now I’m so pumped. I think I’ve just been convinced that Danny Hart is the greatest champion of all time. Jordan who? Montana what? He bested the time by over 11 seconds! DANNY HART, people! DANNY HART!

I can see that quote that asks how he sits down going down as an all-time classic.

Incredible ride :clap: :clap:

What this kid is amazing at, and what possibly sets his apart from the rest, is his ability to set up the next corner. He's constantly realigning himself in the air to hit the next section perfectly.

What this kid is amazing at, and what possibly sets his apart from the rest, is his ability to set up the next corner. He's constantly realigning himself in the air to hit the next section perfectly.

The future of DH racing is certainly looking very rosy. Sheesh, how much quicker can these guys go?

the more I think about the racing lines taking, the more I think the only reason Gwin won at Val Di Sole was because Danny was riding too fast.

Gwin knows his braking points, probably better than anyone else at this moment. Danny is the fastest dude, but you can always muscle your way round a course and still make good time. Even in his post_worlds interview, he said sounded pretty amazed that he didnt have many dramatic events and everything was going really smoothly. I think hart just opened up a new chapter in his racing history for himself. That smoothness and ability to carry speed is the hallmark of Sam Hill and now his young prodigy, Troy Brosnan.

Not dramatic, not flashy, but just sickening, and deceptively quick.

this is the scary thing - check the times of Hart and brosnan versus everyone else ... MAD

ELITE TIMES

http://cdn2.static.mporatrons.com/site/dirt/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/DHI_FI_ME_Results-1.jpg

JUNIOUR TIMES

http://cdn2.static.mporatrons.com/site/dirt/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/DHI_FI_MJ_Results-1.jpg

The guard has changed ... these 2 guys are going to be up there next year! - I dont expect they'll win here in SA ... that will be reserved for the big guys ... Gee, Gwin, or Greg.

BUT on the other tracks - i'd say brosnan gonna win a couple ...

Hart is insanely fast ... but his "moments" often cost him too much time ... You need to be smooth and consistent to win overall!