Disk Brakes on cyclo-cross bikes now

kosmonooit

Interesting to see that they have gone with the mechanical / cable system. One plus is that it cuts out all that mech-hydraulic conversion headgear

Edited by kosmonooit

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CANYON PROJECT 6.8!

Canyon is the first manufacturer in the world to develop a road race bike which features hydraulic disc brakes that are controlled by the brake/shift levers. Thanks to this technology the safety of bike racers is significantly raised as disc brakes clearly function better than traditional brake systems on wet courses and on long descents. They also radically reduce the wear on the rims. The weight of the complete bike – despite being extremely robust – is still under the UCI limit of 6.8kg.

What makes this technology possible is the patented brake/shift levers which for the first time allows the hydraulic fluid reservoir to be contained inside the shift levers.

The Project 6.8 was developed together with Hans-Christian Smolik.

The technical background of a road bike disc brake.

”Hydraulic disc brakes have become standard on high-end mountain bikes because of their good braking performance and reliability. So far, road bikes have continued to use rim brakes to stop. On long descents the heat generated by the rim brakes leads to a reduction in their effectiveness. This reason alone makes heavier riders wish for a workable and more reliable braking system.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...