Disk Brakes on cyclo-cross bikes now

kosmonooit

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont ever see the point of this on a road bike....it will just add more weight for a stupid reason. We managed well so far with the current brake setups, we also don't go so fast that the current brakes can't stop us...just another money making scheme.

Well, those are not road bikes.

Well, those are not road bikes.

I know that, I am just saying if they want to invent that system later for road bikes it will only be a money making scheme.

Although the disks add more weight, change spoke patterns etc ... they might allow some interesting (and possibly lighter) rim shapes to evolve on road bikes as the flat braking surfaces are no longer required.

Lighter rims are good, even if the hubs become heavier?

Given that the angular momentum is proportional to radius which the mass resides at, it will make a difference but is that an issue with roadies? lower angular momentum means less energy to stop and start, but once you going, can carry you (flywheel effect)

I know that, I am just saying if they want to invent that system later for road bikes it will only be a money making scheme.

I believe it has been tried before, but didn't take. Just like when they tried suspension forks for tough races like the Paris-Roubaix.

Although the disks add more weight, change spoke patterns etc ... they might allow some interesting (and possibly lighter) rim shapes to evolve on road bikes as the flat braking surfaces are no longer required.

Imagine lightweight tubbies with no braking surface. Like those old delivery bikes with the front brakes that made contact on the inside of the rim.

But I think they should be working on an internal hub breaking system. They can even make it electronic then.

• 4 weeks later...

So finally making a showing on the pro circuit in the USA

Tim Johnson cleans up at Jingle Cross Rock on a ... Cannondale!

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2011/11/IMG_0482-660x419.jpg

There was a similar thread, a week or so ago, and I got a bit of heat on that thread.

But I'll repeat my point.

With greater speed comes the need for greater control. I've been wiped out in too many bunch concertina's on the fast races. So I can see Disk Brakes on road frames.

Sure, the weight is an issue, another issue is that the tyre guys will have a challenge in creating tekkies that wont shred under tarmac braking abrasion. But this is awesome technology and cycling is a technology sport. This is where innovation and technology meet.

Not too long ago, we all thought (actually a long time ago, I just dont want to sound like an old timer with a walking stick) Well, anyway, we all thought that Carbon frames would never make it. Hah, and at that time, if someone had suggested carbon rims...

So disk brakes on road bikes and cyclo bikes, yes I think it might take off and yes I think some further product development will happen.

With greater speed comes the need for greater control. I've been wiped out in too many bunch concertina's on the fast races. So I can see Disk Brakes on road frames.

Reaction time is your enemy in those situations, not more braking force. Even if you could stop a bit quicker, considering the distances you have to stop in (inches), even a perfect brake that can stop you in one second, won't help if your reaction time is one tenth of a second, which it is for a trained athlete waiting for the gun.

Sure, the weight is an issue, another issue is that the tyre guys will have a challenge in creating tekkies that wont shred under tarmac braking abrasion. But this is awesome technology and cycling is a technology sport. This is where innovation and technology meet.

You are suggesting that disc brakes on RBs will stop so quickly that tyres will shred? Maybe it is a figure of speech but certainly not reality. The limiting factor on a road bike is overturning momentum, not adhesion. You have unlimited adhesion on a road bike or motorbike, since the bike will overturn before it will skid, no matter how good the brakes. You cannot skid the front wheel on a road bike. If you do't believe me, try it.

Not too long ago, we all thought (actually a long time ago, I just dont want to sound like an old timer with a walking stick) Well, anyway, we all thought that Carbon frames would never make it. Hah, and at that time, if someone had suggested carbon rims...

Disc brakes may well come to road bikes but not for the reasons you suggest.

Reaction time is your enemy in those situations, not more braking force. Even if you could stop a bit quicker, considering the distances you have to stop in (inches), even a perfect brake that can stop you in one second, won't help if your reaction time is one tenth of a second, which it is for a trained athlete waiting for the gun.

You are suggesting that disc brakes on RBs will stop so quickly that tyres will shred? Maybe it is a figure of speech but certainly not reality. The limiting factor on a road bike is overturning momentum, not adhesion. You have unlimited adhesion on a road bike or motorbike, since the bike will overturn before it will skid, no matter how good the brakes. You cannot skid the front wheel on a road bike. If you do't believe me, try it.

Disc brakes may well come to road bikes but not for the reasons you suggest.

Sure Johan...

I believe you.

I ride motorbike and road bicycle... Front wheel skid is not a problem, if the wheel locks it will throw you over the top, or it will twist the steering and slip out underneath you. Honda have just released a big press release on how their 2012 CBR1000 will now come out with less braking force and reduced ABS on the front wheel. You are right, strong braking on the front wheel is always dangerous.

I've shredded a back wheel, travelling north on Main road, Bryanston, the robot changed and I had to brake hard to keep out of the intersection. The result was a 2 second back wheel skid that skimmed the rubber right through the tyre, scuffed the tube and caused a blow out. Couldn't even have been travelling faster than 55km/hr at the time. Sure I wasn't riding a heavy duty tyre, it certainly wasn't "Gator" quality.

Clinchers caused that, so yes I am sugesting that disk breakes will require tyre manufacturers to review their product.

And you are also right that reaction time to breaking is the main cause of accidents. a 2 second delay at 60km/hr means that you will have lost 16 meters, before you even start breaking.

Edited by Nickzta

The subject here is Cyclocross bikes guys. No one is claiming these are going to make inroads in to those hallowed halls of the almighty roadie.

Big bonus of discs as I see it is effectiveness in mud. Just look at how dirty Tim's rims are, you can imagine the squealing they might make under rim breaking. And you can hear that squealing if you watch any 'cross on line. Any old skool mtb'er will remember this phenomenon with not such fond memories. So that is the key reason, not because you can stop on a teikkie. Discs will also offer cleaner / smoother modulation under such conditions. Rims/Caliper not. Common sense to me. Its not about techno bling.

But having said that, during day 2 of Lord of the Chain Rings, up on the contour path up on top of the Elandsburg, a blob of really black sticky mud plonked itself on my rear caliper. I tried to rinse with some of my limited supply of Energade, but it persisted and permeated, and made a right racket and mess of the pads and my (new) rotor. I fortunately had spare pads which I put in that night. But that's the first time that's really happened to me, been on discs now for 10 years. Bought my first set of Hope Mono Mini as an upgrade at Evans in Camden, never looked back. Didn't even keep the V Brakes as a historical artefact, so pleased was I to be rid of them.

Edited by kosmonooit

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned heat. Next time you climb on the brakes, feel how hot the braking surface of your carbon rim gets. That heat radiates to the glue holding on your tubbies, softens it and there is a very real possibility of the tyre rolling off the rim. As tyre technology improves, descending becomes more rapid, and the need for better brakes will become necessary. My guess is that on carbon tubbie wheels, disc brakes will eventually become the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim has now won 2 races on this 'Dale prototype - the 2nd on a course that was flat and fast, where weight of the machine would typically okay a greater role (hence the preferred lighter weight of normal brakes).

This is trend setting stuff, me think, from Cannondale.