IM70.3 SA

gadget

Or you can HTFU, bite the pillow boy and go in dry...........

6 hours is not that long.

:clap: :clap:

Nope it isn't that long.

Hence why you don't need to eat after the ride. Just stick to water and coke in the last 5k's

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have 2 months and one week, plenty of time....

Start running ASAP but do it slow with like 3km per day...... Then slowly build it up. I believe if you can run 30km combined during one week you should be able to do IM comfortably. Remember you want to finish, not win it.

Swimming is easy. Just go to the gym and start. You will be amazed how quickly it pcks up (and this comes from a real crap swimmer).

The fact that you are already cycling fit will definately flow over and help the other disciplines....

Ah thanks man - but too late - i didn't take the plunge - but 2013 I am there! Will enter as soon as entries open! :rolleyes: Mean time will get myself 5km running fit and 1km swimming fit...

Enjoy it guys - I think its going to be good - and the weather proabably won't be so $&itty 2 yrs running :thumbup:

Oh and obviously it will differ depending on how long you will plan on racing as well. All I know is that your body responds less favourable to solid foods as the race goes on.

Fact is that you have to eat. Only going on gels will make you throw up I can promise you (accept if you are a pro).

Therefor like I said start with solids and make your way to gels.

How much do you eat and drink on the bike?

like the "real food" idea

Probably the equivalent of 1 energy bar for me

So 3 baby potatoes. Remember not to overeat. Like Garfield said, 6 hours isn't that long and provided you had breakfast and ate sensibly in the week leading up to the event all should be swell.

At least 2 large helpings of pasta the day before. NO chillies. 1 large bowl of future life for breakfast. 1 * 500ml shake (Pace n Power) immediately before the race. 2 * Roctane GU gels for the cycle. This will take care of me for the first 4 hours at which point I will have completed the swim and cycle. Next you need to handle the 21km run. So at some point during the cycle at about the 80km mark you will need to take in some solids i.e. banana or my personal favorite 1 * large chocolate muffin (can get a bit messy) together with 1 more Roctane. I would also have at least another 1 * roctane gu gel at the 1 hr mark during the run and another just in case. All of this of course depends on how long you take. 4 me it would typically be a 6 hour session. Pace n Power also make some nice energy drinks or 32GI. I prefer Pace n Power not so sweet and they have a neutral tasting product which you can mix with others so you can experiment with taste. Otherwise all that sweet stuff is going to make you ill.

As much as possible.

I will take 4-6 baby potatoes boiled in water and drenched in butter along with a pack of salt and vinegar chips (which I smash into little pieces up front)

I will eat as much as I can in the first 30km's, then after the halfway I will stuff down the remaining 2-3 potatoes and chips.

It makes you feel what I could call "realtime" -- meaning exactly how you feel. It doesnt help to eat gels, get spiked, feel good and race hard and repeat. By the time you get to T2 you will be toast.

Also the chips makes me thirsty which in turn almost ensures I drink enough water and 32GI.

On the bike course I plan on taking 2 botlles of 32 GI and one bottle of water.

For myself I normally know I am on course if I have to piee at T2.

Then on the run I will drink small sips of coke and water at every station. They are only 10 - 12 minutes apart so you can afford to spike your sugar a bit also because you are in the last 2 hours of the race.....

How far do you swim, cycle and run in IM?

Full IM: 3.8 swim, 180 bike, 42 run

Half IM: 1.9 swim, 90 bike, 21 run

Gappie the Half IM or aka the 70.3 is 1.9km swim, 90km bike (non drafting) & 21km run and is in January in East Londen

The full IM in Port Elizabeth which is in April every year is double the above.

So you could appreciate that one needs to plan nurition very carefully, especially of you will be racing for up to 17 hours!!

As much as possible.

I will take 4-6 baby potatoes boiled in water and drenched in butter along with a pack of salt and vinegar chips (which I smash into little pieces up front)

I will eat as much as I can in the first 30km's, then after the halfway I will stuff down the remaining 2-3 potatoes and chips.

It makes you feel what I could call "realtime" -- meaning exactly how you feel. It doesnt help to eat gels, get spiked, feel good and race hard and repeat. By the time you get to T2 you will be toast.

Also the chips makes me thirsty which in turn almost ensures I drink enough water and 32GI.

On the bike course I plan on taking 2 botlles of 32 GI and one bottle of water.

For myself I normally know I am on course if I have to piee at T2.

Then on the run I will drink small sips of coke and water at every station. They are only 10 - 12 minutes apart so you can afford to spike your sugar a bit also because you are in the last 2 hours of the race.....

I love the "drenched in butter" potatoes bit. Got to call the wife now and tell her what I want for dinner !! Shame on you there goes my diet for the day.

I love the "drenched in butter" potatoes bit. Got to call the wife now and tell her what I want for dinner !! Shame on you there goes my diet for the day.

Guys something you can also use as an excellent food source on the bike is the 32Gi Chews, each packet is the exact equivalent of 2 small bananas or potatoes in calories and sugar response, the best thing it does not melt in the sun or get sticky and wet, I have raced many IM's with them and they work like a bomb. They are also designed to fit perfectly in a top tube bag (see the pic below, its me in an IM, the bag can hold around 14-16 blocks at least = 8 bananas or potatoes. You van remove them from the packaging they don't go off or melt at all. You can run with them as well. The key is to stagger the feed on the bike, eating 1 block every 20minutes, or 2 if you really need to cure a hunger, have had my record run times after fuelling with these ;-), forgot to mention 4 flavours so u can vary the taste, they dont get stuck in the teeth, they digest easily and swallow amazingly with no airway blockage.

post-16340-0-93773400-1322591869.jpg

Isnt your ankle bracelet on the wrong leg.

:)

Jokes a side. Thanks for replying.

I try the chews at Jailbreak.

Brent

Will the salty food help to prevent cramping? seem to always suffer from about 4km on the run. I do 3 bricks a week so hope its not a training issue

Yes it will. Also take cramp pills. Cramps occur when your body loses all its salts through sweat.

Also race the weather. If it rains then cramps should not be that bad. If it is a hot day, eat more salts etc.

Bricks will not really help for cramping.

In the end if you destroy yourself during the bike, you will cramp on the run even if your name is Bruce Fordyce....

in addtion to the cramp pills, eat some salted biltong, finely sliced. I eat the chews, biltong and mixed salted nuts along the cycle route.......this is more than enough. At the start of the run take a gel and another halfway. Stay hydrated.