IM70.3 SA

gadget

It could be the change in bike position, my advice ice 3 times a day, take water place in a polystyrene cup and freeze, peel off little by little and rub the area up and down for 20 minutes, then ask your doctor for a script 15mg Coxflam it's easy on he stomach and will take down the inflammation even the pain and u can take daily for a few weeks so that even through IM u should be ok

Thanks for advice and I guess go easy on the training?

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to have pushed my body into a state of chronic fatigue - overtraining. From too many maximum intensity sessions, insufficient rest. It's my own fault, I'm a coach, I should've known better, but my drive to do well got the better of me.

Anyway, so has anybody experienced overtraining before? Suddenly my goal of 5:30 has evaporated into just feeling good enough to finish the race :angry::(

Thanks for advice and I guess go easy on the training?

Definitely if u feel pain stop immediately stretch daily u r moving into taper period so u will be fine for the big day relax and dont stress :-)

I seem to have pushed my body into a state of chronic fatigue - overtraining. From too many maximum intensity sessions, insufficient rest. It's my own fault, I'm a coach, I should've known better, but my drive to do well got the better of me.

Anyway, so has anybody experienced overtraining before? Suddenly my goal of 5:30 has evaporated into just feeling good enough to finish the race :angry::(

Just rest, u can still recover before 70.3 and put in an excellent effort, my best races were weeks of rest just before the big day and it's amazing how u perform on the day, u can easily recover solid weeks rest and then some very light session before Be should be fine

For anyone who is wanting some solid nutrition advice and preparation tips leading up to and including IM 70.3 race day follow 32Gi on Twitter or Facebook, tips are not product specific we deal with everything but product specifics to keep it credible and not make any sales pitches we are just here to help and advise on a professional level, with just under 2 weeks to go your training preparation is over time to get the rest right all the best m

Shot MDW! Sounds positive. I'm gonna go to the doc to get a assessment, but I'm planning to do some low intensity exercise for the last 2 weeks now, and just hope I have my engine back on the 22nd.

Shot MDW! Sounds positive. I'm gonna go to the doc to get a assessment, but I'm planning to do some low intensity exercise for the last 2 weeks now, and just hope I have my engine back on the 22nd.

The best way to recover from fatigue is nutrition, without a doubt, you need to focus on eating proper healthy meals each day, up your protein intake and eat plenty of complex carbs, also hydrate constantly at least 2l of water a day. Look at taking some decent multi-vits as well u welcome to contact me for a more accurate breakdown, one of my fields of experience is assisting fatigued athletes with recuperation on the nutrition side. I would say recovery if its been a lot for muscle breakdown would be around 10 days, have u been for a blood test to see your blood protein levels if they are excessively high, it means muscle breakdown, which means rest, and dietery change.

Thanks for you advice. I do follow a very healthy and well balanced diet, and am quite meticulous about my recovery, but this time I just got it wrong. I went to the doc and shot gave me a vitamin B shot in the ass! Felt the symptoms at the beginning of last week, took an easy week off, but this weekend's ride didn't feel right yet...very low HR levels. Just gonna do some short low intensity training this week and next, and hope time will heal all.

Well I just checked the 15 day forecast which is very inaccurate. THe wind seems to be mostly from the East (north- or South-East that is) and an average looks like around 25km/hour.... Rain seems to be 50/50.

Lets wait until the Friday before race day to get a better update.

Just as long as the ocean is not -15 degrees again it should be OK.

Some posted 70.3 prep tips from the 32Gi FB site:

DAILY NUTRITION LEADING UP TO 70.3

Any lead up to an endurance event can be nerve racking and not from a fitness point of view. The last thing any of us want is to land up getting ill or injured just before the event. We want to get there in one piece and feeling ready to race.

Too much time, effort and expense has been put into preparing for the event, and that last thing we need is to be blindsided by a disaster. To ensure we get there in top form there are a few things that need specific focus over the next 12 days.

1. Keeping your immune system strong is very important. Putting in long training hours and physical strain on the body definitely lowers our defenses. Firstly focus on getting plenty of solid uninterrupted sleep at night, to ensure the body is in a complete recovery stage.

Eat frequent meals throughout the day, and do not skip meals. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, make sure its packed with some complex sustainable carbohydrates, protein and fiber. An example could be a bowl of raw oats, low fat yoghurt, teaspoon sugar free peanut butter, blueberries, strawberries, half banana, flax seeds & honey.

Eat approximately 6 meals through the day and if you are training you need to add some meals in order to fuel before during and after in order to ensure your glycogen stores are being managed and kept topped up and that you are fuelling your recovery process as well.

2. Eat a variety of plenty of fruit and vegetables, vary the fruit and vegetables and the colors.

3. Reduce sugar intake drastically, sugar is known to weaken the immune system, its also likely while you are tapering you will gain unnecessary weight as you are not burning off the calories you were during training and sugar based products of course are additional calories. The last thing you want to do is go into a race much heavier than anticipated.

4. Focus on eating easily digestible proteins, such as fish, chicken, turkey etc. Cut down or out red meats.

5. Eat health carbohydrates, meaning natural and not processed. Stay away from white rice, pastas, etc. Rather eat quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes, wild rice, 100% rye.

6. Eat healthy oils such as avocado, flax seed, coconut and certain fish such as salmon, mackerel, sardine which have healthy oil as well.

7. Hydrate plenty, at least 2 liters of water a day, that does NOT include coffee or like stimulants. Coffee should be reduced drastically to at least maximum a cup a day, and if you do drink coffee then an additional 2 cups of water compensate for the dehydration effect that caffeine produces.

In the next 70.3 NUTRITION TIP we will discuss the importance of pre-event hydration and how it can impact performance for race day :-)

Eat well, stay healthy and train safe.

The 32Gi Team

Thanks MDW that's awesome!!

What is everyone doing for taper? I was going to keep things similar but drastically cut down intensity and volume, but after bay to bay I am still not 100% recovered so I think I will take it even easier than I thought.

I guess its too late to add fitness. The question is can you lose any in 2 weeks?

What is everyone doing for taper? I was going to keep things similar but drastically cut down intensity and volume, but after bay to bay I am still not 100% recovered so I think I will take it even easier than I thought.

I guess its too late to add fitness. The question is can you lose any in 2 weeks?

You wont lose fitness in 2 weeks, the thing is to just keep the muscles active without overdoing it so you can still perform on the day. Reducing mileage is great, I still throw in a little intensity, not too much, but short bouts where recovery is quick, so 15-20minute tempo run short 2 minute intervals on the bike, on short rides. Just so my legs feel that they want to race:-).

:( "The last thing any of us want is to land up getting ill or injured just before the event." ....

I just dont seem to be able to win. First knee injury Nov 11 (off 4 weeks). Then I get flu during Dec 11 (off 2 weeks). Now I have a damn ear infection am half deaf and cant even walk properly never mind cycle or run. I thought I would still be able to do the Midlands race but considering overall condition I dont even think I am going to be able to this. Think I'm gonna start my winter hibernation early. Not at all happy ....

Good luck to all you good folks for IM70.3 :thumbup:

After my ITB problem over the weekend I have done no cycling or running. I am going out for a test run after work to see how it feels. If it feels ok, then interval swim on Wednesday, short brick on Thursday, 40min max and 1hr run on Saturday and 1-1.5 hr ride on Sunday. Otherwise only swimming until the weekend.

:( "The last thing any of us want is to land up getting ill or injured just before the event." ....

I just dont seem to be able to win. First knee injury Nov 11 (off 4 weeks). Then I get flu during Dec 11 (off 2 weeks). Now I have a damn ear infection am half deaf and cant even walk properly never mind cycle or run. I thought I would still be able to do the Midlands race but considering overall condition I dont even think I am going to be able to this. Think I'm gonna start my winter hibernation early. Not at all happy ....

Good luck to all you good folks for IM70.3 :thumbup:

I was seriously ill last week. Couldn't train once and had fever.

Yesterday I ran 2km's on the treadmill and nearly died!

Today 5km so slowly I am getting back.......... And to think a few weeks ago I could easily cycle 90km's and the "brick"-run 15km's in one cession without any hassles!!

Seriously hope my power comes back in the next 10 days..............