Full Suspension 29er. Which one ?

kandui

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Scott Expert Spark 29er goes for like R31000, complete bike, or you can even look at the Pro which still be about R40k Nothing can beat this imo atm.

http://products.scott-sports.com/221698/500/221698.jpg

Seeing that you are looking at the top end of the market and that you are particularly partial to European bikes, here is a little known Spanish Titanium 29er frame....

Jeronimo Cycles

Unfortunately the site is only in Spanish.

post-858-0-32905100-1316541435.jpg

Thanks for all the input. I have narrowed my search down to the Niner Jet 9. Very nice frame for R18500. Checking otday to see whether I can move parts across from my other bike without incurring huge extra costs. Makes no sense to pay so much more for carbon when you are only saving 500g in weight. I can lay off the chocs for a month and drop more than that off my frame.

"Niner Jet 9. Very nice frame for R18500". Very much overpriced, the Giant Anthem frame goes for just under R10k, and I will probably go for the Giant even if the prices were the same.

I wish price was the only consideration, but unfortunately the heart has a say here too. The Giant is a good value bike, but in my opinion it is "ordinary". This is why certain brands charge a premium for perception. I am one of those who is looking for a bike not ridden by everyone and I am one of the suckers who is prepared to pay more for that. Criticize me all you like, but I am looking for quality, value and a bike not seen all over the place. At the moment the Jet 9 ticks those boxes for me.

Kandui, i'm also looking at getting a 29er. My height and weight is more or less the same as you. I test rode the S-Works 29er and Niner hard tails yesterday. The Niner Hard tail rides like my 26 Merida Dual Sus. I don't know if it's worthwhile getting a soft tail 29er ? I was more impressed with the Niner than the S-Works (Niner better price as well !)

I would not call a Niner an uncommon bike, where I ride they are common, if price is not a consideration and you want something special get a titanium bike.

I wish price was the only consideration, but unfortunately the heart has a say here too. The Giant is a good value bike, but in my opinion it is "ordinary". This is why certain brands charge a premium for perception. I am one of those who is looking for a bike not ridden by everyone and I am one of the suckers who is prepared to pay more for that. Criticize me all you like, but I am looking for quality, value and a bike not seen all over the place. At the moment the Jet 9 ticks those boxes for me.

Now this appeals to me!

I had the Niner Air 9 but moved to the Giant XTC 29er when they overtook Niner in terms of frame technology (tapered head, hydryformed tubes etc.). When I rode the Niner I felt special (not spethial you jerks) - riding the Giant feels run of the mill.

Call it elitist (he he he) or a waste of money based on pride and ego but a bike needs to speak to me. I don't want a vanilla bike. Niner are rocking that 29er only vibe and the Southern Cali factory adds some niche rather than the mass produced in Japan thing. Rock on Niner!

The first Large White/Raw NEW Niner Air 9 to arrive in SA is MINE! It will sit nicely next to my Niner MCR Steel SS.

Well chosen kandui! I have ridden the Jet, EMD, RIP and Air Carbon - all great bikes. Maybe not the Air Carbon - that is one stiff mutha!

Niner (and 29er bikes as a whole) are becoming more and more mainstream (which is a pity) but Niner remains in my eyes one of the greats.

Thanks for all the input. I have narrowed my search down to the Niner Jet 9. Very nice frame for R18500. Checking otday to see whether I can move parts across from my other bike without incurring huge extra costs. Makes no sense to pay so much more for carbon when you are only saving 500g in weight. I can lay off the chocs for a month and drop more than that off my frame.

Nice frame!

Enjoy

"Niner Jet 9. Very nice frame for R18500". Very much overpriced, the Giant Anthem frame goes for just under R10k, and I will probably go for the Giant even if the prices were the same.

Its similar to the japanese vs german debate for cars

Personally I would go for the tallboy but when you buying a bike you need the one which talks to you and makes you want to ride.

Bet you don't drive a BMW then.

My dream bike (adhering to all your requirements above) would be the French brand Lapierre. Awesome looking bikes, awesome quality. They are still to bring out a dually though.

Now this appeals to me!

I had the Niner Air 9 but moved to the Giant XTC 29er when they overtook Niner in terms of frame technology (tapered head, hydryformed tubes etc.). When I rode the Niner I felt special (not spethial you jerks) - riding the Giant feels run of the mill.

Call it elitist (he he he) or a waste of money based on pride and ego but a bike needs to speak to me. I don't want a vanilla bike. Niner are rocking that 29er only vibe and the Southern Cali factory adds some niche rather than the mass produced in Japan thing. Rock on Niner!

The first Large White/Raw NEW Niner Air 9 to arrive in SA is MINE! It will sit nicely next to my Niner MCR Steel SS.

Well chosen kandui! I have ridden the Jet, EMD, RIP and Air Carbon - all great bikes. Maybe not the Air Carbon - that is one stiff mutha!

Niner (and 29er bikes as a whole) are becoming more and more mainstream (which is a pity) but Niner remains in my eyes one of the greats.

Yes man! That new Jet 9 looks amazing!!!!! Also love the Niner brand.