Tell-tale signs your spinning instructor is new to cycling

Peloton Piet

They can't stay properly seated on the bike as they don't pedal in full circles and ease back onto the saddle. Whatever their cadence they bounce on the seat right through the whole class.

well, then they are at least enjoying the class while the others don't.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to spot new instructors (I know because I am pretty sure I was totally crap first time I took a class). I feel sorry for them - the courses available in SA are fairly inadequate and you don't even have to be a cyclist to qualify. That's why you end up in class doing unrealistic drills such as trying to spin your legs faster than the speed of light, push ups on the bike and pretending that your spinning bike is an aeroplane.

The problem is that not all gym members give a toss about cycling - they want the benefits of the sport without having to buy a bike. Instructors have to try find a balance between entertaining the average gym goer and providing a work-out that benefits a cyclist.

Some get it right, some get it right most of the time, some will always be clueless.