giant tcr advanced vs giant tcr advanced sl

smerds

I'm in the market and shopping for a frame. I have sort of made up my mind on the 2011 giant tcr advanced but now I'm thinking .....

Maybe I should stretch the wallet and go for the 2011 SL. I know there is a material difference and also the SL has the ISP ... what else and is it worth to pay the extra moola ....?

I'm in the market and shopping for a frame. I have sort of made up my mind on the 2011 giant tcr advanced but now I'm thinking .....

Maybe I should stretch the wallet and go for the 2011 SL. I know there is a material difference and also the SL has the ISP ... what else and is it worth to pay the extra moola ....?

Good frames, I've had both and prefer the ISP. No massive difference between them really. The ISP will affect your ability to sell the frame if you have to cut the post by much. Luckily I have long legs so my post can be cut down more if need be.

SL is fantastic for racing and TCR is perfect for training.

SL is lighter than TCR..

If you race alot, go for SL.

If you don't race alot, go for TCR...

I'v had both... and am riding the SL now (well, not right now!!).... absolutely love the bike.. But not sure you will be able to tell the difference on your morning ride!!!

But when you get home from work and shes parked in front of you... well thats when her beauty shines through!!!

There is a R10k difference between the frames.

I am not sure what the difference in weight is.

The ISP frame does look a LOT nicer.

I have the TCR Advanced frame and really like it.

I lust after the SL version, but dont think its worth R10k extra.

Dont know if the extra 10k is worth it paying for the SL. Personally I think the Advanced looks better with the cutout in seatpost stay. Theres alot more you can spend the 10k on like wheels to bring weight down if youre fussy about that. Checkout the BH Connect on sale currently at Complete Cyclist for the price of an Advanced. Super stiff frame for sprinting, even the BH G5 is going for the price of an SL if youre looking for an ISP.

What prices are you guys looking at for the SL? I paid 18k for my frameset in January or February this year. Shopped around a lot and got a good deal.

What prices are you guys looking at for the SL? I paid 18k for my frameset in January or February this year. Shopped around a lot and got a good deal.

That's pretty good going then!

The ones I have seen are around R23k...

The 2012 bikes and frames will arriving in the not too distant future, so maybe hold out for one of them?

(I dont know which frames we will get here though...)

post-615-0-82496600-1316598650.jpg

post-615-0-54901300-1316598673.jpg

post-615-0-42736100-1316598687.jpg

post-615-0-16562800-1316598707.jpg

Thanks guys,

The difference on a 2nd hand frame will not be R10k but probably be closer to R5k which could swing the scale ….. should one therefore consider the SL more …..?

I have the 2011 Advanced SL complete bike, the best bike i have ever ridden ! I have also converted the wheels to Tubeless because they come out with tubeless rims, awsome rolling combination!

Go for it !

very keen on the 2012 frames and might consider new but still waiting to arrive in SA and then the million dollar question ..... cost ?

anyone with inside info?

The 2012 ones are out already. Cyclopro in PE has one in their shop. Maybe give you local Giant agent a call.

I paid R17500 for mine also in January. I had the old giant alliance that I wanted to upgrade, the colours are very similar so my wife doesnt know I upgraded.:D

Just sold my Advance 1 this week really awesome looking frameset.

Am I wrong in saying that the new Advance now has an Alu steerer tube? Think they want to create a bit bigger gap between the 2 frames

The 2012 ones are out already. Cyclopro in PE has one in their shop. Maybe give you local Giant agent a call.

jip seems like most agents can get the bike but the frame only arrive later, wonder why?

something else .... looks like the advanced tcr will be available with electronic ultegra, did not even know it existed.

Edited by smerds