Show us your pets

tunariaan

IanJ - I am not that familiar with the Husky breed, but having been involved with the Border Collie Rescue in Malmesbury (I have two of their dogs that I adopted) - do you think that people buy Huskies for the wrong reasons and then find that they cannot keep the dogs occupied, resulting in destructive behaviour sometimes ? This is what seems to happen with a lot of the BC's - people think they are "cute" but forget that they are working dogs that need to be exercised to prevent them from developing destructive behaviour.

I think you are pretty much spot on, get a cute puppy for your kid from a pet shop without doing the research and then it gets to 1 year old and isn't getting exercise and no one can control it. Maybe one day it manages to escape because they don't have the right kind of fencing etc and they just don't bother looking for it.

Some others just come to realise that they bit off more than they can chew and ask Husky Rescue to fetch the dog or maybe have to move to a smaller property etc.

I got my Panda Bear from Husky Rescue just over a year ago, he was 2 years old and had already been used to breed, the guy still had the mother and 2 puppies and called up Husky Rescue one day to come fetch them because he didn't want them anymore. When they asked what had happened to the father (Panda) he said "he got out 2 weeks ago and I haven't bothered looking for him" He was picked up as a stray in Springs and ended up at Husky Rescue.

His loss is my gain, the guy doesn't know what he missed out on, Panda and I have the best bond ever and I love him to bits.

At least Husky Rescue (and I'm sure other organisations) do home checks and will not let a dog go to a home which is not suitable and before it is sterilized and microchipped. Also interesting is that the microchip stays registered in the name of Husky Rescue so that they can trace him if found.

You will also see from the pics that all the dogs have to be attached when not running so it is almost impossible to run most huskies off leash although there are exceptions.

Here is Panda watching Tour de France with me a few weeks ago.

post-268-0-95844200-1375166721_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

htone, I would say so, yes. I love their looks, but I know I can't work them properly, therefore I will never have a one. But unfortunately a lot of people do not reason that way.

But same goes for a LOT of dogs - they all need their excercise and being stimulated. My Lab is much happier being left alone (meaning not getting too much specific excericise, etc), the Ridgeback wants to run and play and walk and... Most people do not realise that a "naughty" dog is more often than not just a frustrated dog.

Hahahahahahahaha!

How embarrassing! :blush: I've never even been to a Teazers before…

Yip, didn't think so...clearly T Man has though!! :eek:

Hahahahahahahaha!

How embarrassing! :blush: I've never even been to a Teazers before…

That not what Theodore told us!

That not what Theodore told us!

That bloody dog is a pathological liar! :cursing: Don't believe a word he woofs!

IanJ - I am not that familiar with the Husky breed, but having been involved with the Border Collie Rescue in Malmesbury (I have two of their dogs that I adopted) - do you think that people buy Huskies for the wrong reasons and then find that they cannot keep the dogs occupied, resulting in destructive behaviour sometimes ? This is what seems to happen with a lot of the BC's - people think they are "cute" but forget that they are working dogs that need to be exercised to prevent them from developing destructive behaviour.

Hundreds. i have a X border collie and he gets walked every evening and twice day on weekends. On top of this he still wants to play constantly and often drags in a branch or piece of rag then challenges me to try catch him.

post-7-0-72041900-1375173356_thumb.jpg

I am always reminded of that famous quote by Ghandi in this regard:

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”

Sadly the majority of the "nation" are failing in every respect if we had to go by this...

IanJ - is this the Husky MTB sledding that happens in Kyalami? I still want to get out there and see it.

There's a husky /wolf sanctuary in Reitz / Free State - same thing, so many people buy huskies and then when it becomes too much work they simply just dump them. Larry at the sanctuary has some beautiful animals there - including some wolf hybrids - if you're in the area one day go check it out - take your bike with, I believe there's some beautiful areas around there to ride, often see guys going through.

IanJ - is this the Husky MTB sledding that happens in Kyalami? I still want to get out there and see it.

There's a husky /wolf sanctuary in Reitz / Free State - same thing, so many people buy huskies and then when it becomes too much work they simply just dump them. Larry at the sanctuary has some beautiful animals there - including some wolf hybrids - if you're in the area one day go check it out - take your bike with, I believe there's some beautiful areas around there to ride, often see guys going through.

Not quite Kyalami but just north of Diepsloot yes. We are there most Sundays in winter from about 6am, pm me if you want more details.

I still want to make a trip to the wolf sanctuary, I have heard about it from the Joburg2C guys.

Not my own pets but Sled Dogs Unlimited collected some of our furry friends from Husky Haven and took them out for some sledding fun, huskies doing what huskies love to do. These are all dogs looking for homes, more details on www.huskyrescue.co.za

Me and Mojo.

post-268-0-37260100-1375122676_thumb.jpg

Great shots IanJ and great to see these magnificent animals doing what they just love to do, running with a sled, you can just see the joy in their faces, really makes me happy to see.

Sadly as you say later many owners dont understand working breeds like these who need lots of exercise and activity to keep them from getting bored and becoming destructive, I have boxers and its much the same, I take them running with me at least three times a week and walk them almost every other day and they still have tons of energy.

This is Zoe, breed unknown and around 6-8 weeks old. Some crappy and pathetic excuses for humans dumped her in the centre island of the busy highway between Randfontein and Krugersdump, near West Village. She did not even have the energy to lift her head when we approached and had obviously spent Monday night there as the veldgrass was flattened. She just moaned and groaned and whimpered when we picked her up but our vet (who charged us R9 for consultation and a bag of puppy food, bless him!) said she is well and just neglected and in dire need of some food!

So thats yet another unwanted stray at my house. If any of you are thinking of getting a dog PLEASE try not to buy from breeders/pet shops etc. There are so many unwanted and unloved animals out there and they will become your best friends!

post-12678-0-58894300-1375246544_thumb.jpg

This is Zoe, breed unknown and around 6-8 weeks old. Some crappy and pathetic excuses for humans dumped her in the centre island of the busy highway between Randfontein and Krugersdump, near West Village. She did not even have the energy to lift her head when we approached and had obviously spent Monday night there as the veldgrass was flattened. She just moaned and groaned and whimpered when we picked her up but our vet (who charged us R9 for consultation and a bag of puppy food, bless him!) said she is well and just neglected and in dire need of some food!

So thats yet another unwanted stray at my house. If any of you are thinking of getting a dog PLEASE try not to buy from breeders/pet shops etc. There are so many unwanted and unloved animals out there and they will become your best friends!

Big up to you for the rescue :thumbup:

Awe gee but how sad is this? HUGE respect to you for stopping and picking her up. Hello Zoe... you are a sweet one!

This thread blows my mind on a regular basis... the love and generosity of some of the Hubbers here is truly amazing.... its a reminder that there is hope and one can still have faith that the ones who are unable to speak for themselves, will be cared for and experience the love that us as humans all have yet some fail to share . With all the cruelty going on around us on a daily basis, this proves that that there is a force of good that is just as strong.

Yet again, thanks for sharing... even if it does make one shed a tear or two.

This thread blows my mind on a regular basis... the love and generosity of some of the Hubbers here is truly amazing.... its a reminder that there is hope and one can still have faith that the ones who are unable to speak for themselves, will be cared for and experience the love that us as humans all have yet some fail to share . With all the cruelty going on around us on a daily basis, this proves that that there is a force of good that is just as strong.

Yet again, thanks for sharing... even if it does make one shed a tear or two.

Agreed! 100000000%!

Good Man !!! :clap:

...and you will have loyalty like nothing else from Zoe for the rest of your life.