Challenge Cape Town postponed

Garfield2010

Was that route approved on paper when the entries opened?

CCT can you please answer my question in post # 136.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would also like to know that.

Yes, route was approved in principle before we went to launch. It was what took so long to get launch. This normal to get agreement in principle and look to get into details. IM Wales launched without a route and did not publish one until two weeks or so before race day. Naturally the City and ourselves would not go to launch without an agreement in principle on the route. One needs to remember any event in cape Town is only given final sign-off just prior to the event. We might have to change that a little now going forward with the City.

I hope this hasn't been previously answered but how many entries were received? I read something about 200? Or more?

The reason I ask is that it seems to me that a Big Bay swim followed by a 3 x 60km (or similar)cycle laps out in D'ville/West Coast area followed by a "downhill" marathon towards the mountain and the "Big finish" makes more sense if the field is limited in size?

Hi there,

Unfortunately each site has it challenges and getting buy in from all the residents for the all day/night commentating and music would require its own challenges. Was considered, but long term is not the solution as site will be too small and aforesaid resident issues. We want this to be something that grows and changing venues then goes against the basics of that growth as you want residents to adopt and grow with the race as residents as bigger consideration as lane closures, and the other aspects we need and like in tri. Win the residents over, then long term the success and growth of the race become alot easier and helps with sponsorship, etc.

Guys, I dont believe this. It seems the dream just gets bigger and bigger. This year was a total flop for obvious reasons (please refer and comment on my previous post Grant about the Argus and road closures etc) yet now you are planning a 70.3 and a single loop full IM on the same day? It this not getting a bit ahead of yourself?

IM East London and Port Elizabeth is held seperately for good reason.

While you are at it, why not throw in an Olympic and sprint distances just for the hell of it. Hell why not have it on the same day as the Argus so we can share that route as well?

I really dont wish bad luck as you obviously love the sport and are trying to put a great event on the map. Unfortunately we need to be realistic to keep what happened from repeating and I sense that this event AS IT STANDS NOW WITH THE PLANNED ROUTES will never materilize. Remember this post next year same time when we are in the same boat.

The Argus has full road closure. There is however apparently still one hell of a fight each year to keep it that way. The Argus however justifies its closures by bringing in 20,000+ cyclists from out of town which beefs up the tourism for the City of Cape Town.

Honestly what justifies shutting down central Cape Town for a whole day for a few hundred or even a thousand athletes?

Given it is a wonderfull idea if it can materialize but I suggest you get a route approved for a start outside Cape Town and then "upgrade" it during the year as the entries grow and your bargaining power increase.

Go to tannie Helen with 200 entries and ask her to close down CT for one day and we saw what happened.

Unfortunately I still cannot see these routes you have even come close to materilizing for next year. There was very few entries this year and after what happened what makes you think there will be any more next year?

Grant your comments on this?

Guys, I dont believe this. It seems the dream just gets bigger and bigger. This year was a total flop for obvious reasons (please refer and comment on my previous post Grant about the Argus and road closures etc) yet now you are planning a 70.3 and a single loop full IM on the same day? It this not getting a bit ahead of yourself?

IM East London and Port Elizabeth is held seperately for good reason.

While you are at it, why not throw in an Olympic and sprint distances just for the hell of it. Hell why not have it on the same day as the Argus so we can share that route as well?

I really dont wish bad luck as you obviously love the sport and are trying to put a great event on the map. Unfortunately we need to be realistic to keep what happened from repeating and I sense that this event AS IT STANDS NOW WITH THE PLANNED ROUTES will never materilize. Remember this post next year same time when we are in the same boat.

Hi there,

Please remember that Challenge does things a little differently to IM and putting a half on the same day is a well trodden and used path for Challenge events. If you have any doubts please speak to the Challenge Henley and Cairns guys. As said, we have learnt and will more time to realize Challenge 2012.

Yes, route was approved in principle before we went to launch. It was what took so long to get launch. This normal to get agreement in principle and look to get into details. IM Wales launched without a route and did not publish one until two weeks or so before race day. Naturally the City and ourselves would not go to launch without an agreement in principle on the route. One needs to remember any event in cape Town is only given final sign-off just prior to the event. We might have to change that a little now going forward with the City.

I have been part of organizing teams for a few events over the last few years and none went ahead without the route in writing and signed by traffic dept.This was done long before the entries even went out.

How can you organize a race and not have the route in writing.My guess is that you left it till now to get permission and it was turned down.Can you show minutes of any meetings where the route was discussed with the Cape Town city or the Traffics?

Grant your comments on this?

Hi All,

Put simply we never were planning shutting down the whole of Cape Town. Not only for a first time event would that be incredibly arrogant but ignorant. Coned lane closures allow for racing to happen and still for the City to function but to give the athletes the best of CT in a safe manner.

The City understand the potential this has, locally and intentionally, and that first Oceans Marathon had a 100 athletes, so hence the agreement is long term. Rome was not built in a day and for us to reach the goals we have will take some time. Remember we not measuring ourselves against IM, we measuring ourselves against ourselves with the events we have, Copenhagen Roth, Barcelona, Cairns, etc who all have relays, halfs and full distance racing one the same weekend. Yes, it is different to IM but is a successful recipe, it might take a little to bed down in SA, but that is fine. This no doubt will change over time, and hence these projects are long term. People need to remember where IM started from humble numbers and beginnings.

Grant, sorry for the previous comment it is a bit unfair. We also need to remember that you guys also love triathlon and are trying to organize an event that will no doubt be the most awesome IM on the planet.

I am however not convinced after all has been said and done and whilst lessons have surely been learned, there is still a very long way to go.

You have already accepted "roll overs" of entries etc thereby once again committing athletes to next year.

I would prefer you get all approvals etc before doing this. Get everything in writing and commit 100% before making new promises as has been done already.