Ironman

Hi guys

I can ride around 26km/hour and I am quite fit at the moment. (lots and lots of running so the stamina is definately there)

How can I increase this to 29km's in the shortest possible time?

I do long rides on weekends and have access to a gym 50min a day during the week.

Thx

Hi

Get a coach. It helped me to improve my IM cycling average from 27Km/H to over 30Km/H..... but then I hit the wall on the run...... :P :P !!!

shees dude. i'm no expert, but 50mins of gym a day aint gonna cut it for ironman...

I hope not. I did do the 50km Bonitas marathon 9 days back and have done the D2D 92km. Next weekend I am doing the 168km cradle race.

I work so really dont have time for more training. I am aiming for 15 hours so hopefully this training will do..............

I wish I had more time.....

Hi guys

I can ride around 26km/hour and I am quite fit at the moment. (lots and lots of running so the stamina is definately there)

How can I increase this to 29km's in the shortest possible time?

I do long rides on weekends and have access to a gym 50min a day during the week.

Thx

Two of the guys that work with me are training for Cape pioneer using the Polar cycle training program which is very comprehensive and is time and heart rate based. I think its a 16 week programme. Their improvement in fitness and average speed is remarkeable. The guys are currently doing 22km'h average speed on MTB's off road doing a 156km session !! if you interested PM me I will send you the "stuff". They also have a multisport training planner which i am using for triathlon.

I'm not sure about the 6 weeks and if its possible to "plug in" somewhere along the program. i will ask the pro's and see what they say

You need to find a fastish morning group and join them and also do long rides at higher pace over weekends.

I did no special training for IM this year and managed a 32.5 kph average

I'm not sure about the 6 weeks and if its possible to "plug in" somewhere along the program. i will ask the pro's and see what they say

Ja, and you probably need to plug in a pretty good taper before the race, so not 6 weeks. I'll go with what you have. You had a training plan and it's worked out as it's worked out up till now. Changing something now to get a couple of km/h might just work against you.

More to gain in a nutrition strategy over the next 6 weeks in my opinion. But then again I have not done that distance before.

Get a coach. It helped me to improve my IM cycling average from 27Km/H to over 30Km/H..... but then I hit the wall on the run...... :P :P !!!

I'd say go with this. You've got limited time so you need to use it as efficiently as possible. A good coach can design a program specifically for your needs and constraints.

You only have 6 weeks left.Just start to taper and train harder for next year CC or Ironman Sa in April.

It's to late now to make a big difference in your time.

I will definately be interested. Thing is just that I only have 6 weeks left before Cape Town Challenge.

Here is my 2 cents.

You said you doing challenge Cape Town. When was the last time your road the roads in the cape? There is a HELL of a lot of climbing on that route and a 29kmh average speed will be very impressive indeed.

From what I've heard about the course in PE is that the Challenge course is waaaaaaaaaaay tougher compared with far more climbing.

If you want to get faster join a fast group, but if I were you I would be focusing on riding 5/6 hour rides with a few mountains thrown in for good measure.

Dont worry about the speed, worry more about the climbs and the speed will sort itself out. There will be plenty parts on the course where 30kmh+ will be easily achievable.

OK thanks

I did the triathlon on Sunday and suffered badly to average 30km on the bike (over only 40km's) so I am a bit worried. I dont really wanna go over 7 hours on the IM Cape Town. Maybe I am a bit hard as I also ran 50km's the Sunday before the Tri and may have suffered as a result.

I have done 9 Argus races so have an idea of the hills. They dont worry me. The wind does.

Next weeks 168km cradle race should also be good training I guess.

Unfortunately I cannot ride in the mornings as I come to work early.

Will consider a coach after this IM as I am targetting shorter events after this. Maybe a few 70.3's and olympic dist. Definately need a coach for some speed work with that!

OK thanks

I did the triathlon on Sunday and suffered badly to average 30km on the bike (over only 40km's) so I am a bit worried. I dont really wanna go over 7 hours on the IM Cape Town. Maybe I am a bit hard as I also ran 50km's the Sunday before the Tri and may have suffered as a result.

I have done 9 Argus races so have an idea of the hills. They dont worry me. The wind does.

Next weeks 168km cradle race should also be good training I guess.

Unfortunately I cannot ride in the mornings as I come to work early.

Will consider a coach after this IM as I am targetting shorter events after this. Maybe a few 70.3's and olympic dist. Definately need a coach for some speed work with that!

Sounds like you need to rest a bit more and hit the events fresher!