Cajees 1 - CycleLab 0

nolipoli

I needed to buy a new XT 10spd rear derailleur yesterday, and called Cycle Lab first, because I had recently heard that things had changed for the good there. After a very frustrating conversation with a kid that knew nothing about anything, I eventually get the price from someone else that worked there.

Total call time- Ten Minutes! Price quoted - R2295, and no stock.

So I went to Cajees for a second opinion. Moh goes to the cupboard, pulls out exactly what i am looking for, and the box has a sticker on it for R995, which he then gives me a discount on.

I won't be shopping at Cycle Lab again in a hurry.

Edited by nolipoli

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyclelab obviously messed up there, I think they probably gave you the price of an XTR derailleur. They should employ better staff :thumbdown:

Glad you came right :thumbup:

I needed to buy a new XT 10spd rear derailleur yesterday, and called Cycle Lab first, because I had recently heard that things had changed for the good there. After a very frustrating conversation with a kid that knew nothing about anything, I eventually get the price from someone else that worked there.

Total call time- Ten Minutes! Price quoted - R2295, and no stock.

So I went to Cajees for a second opinion. Moh goes to the cupboard, pulls out exactly what i am looking for, and the box has a sticker on it for R995, which he then gives me a discount on.

I won't be shopping at Cycle Lab again in a hurry.

I also had a shocker with cycle lab a while back!! Gave my parents' and my bike in for a service( R500 each) and the phoned me 3days later and said my chainrings( ALL 3) are finished and I need new ones. I told the guy to just service it and I will change the chainrings when I have money again. My dad ( who doesn't really know the whole mtb scene/prices) went to pick them up a week later, and they put on the chainrings anyway, and MY bike's total was R1455. They told my dad they talked to me about it, so he paid it and that's about it!! I was beyond mad and had a huge fight with the manager-but ja- needless to say, I never even went window shopping there again!! Pretty dissappointed in them..

As a rule of thumb I avoid cyclelab , cause everthing is marked up like mad even small items :thumbdown:

R2295 for a derailleur?!?!? What was that guy smoking? Surely working in a bike shop you should have a rough idea of what an item should cost??

Have found Cyclelab to be no more or less expensive than most other shops, have had good experiences at Cyclelab in Fourways and Centurion, was disappointed by Polokwane. Cajees at Centurion and Comaro Crossing have been good, others not so much

Cycle Lab: *** service from inexperienced people with huge "road-cyclist" attitude....

Cajees: Average service but you know you are going to get fleeced for cash........just not sure how

Eagle Canyon cycles: Awesome service, owner managed, great prices etc etc etc...give them a try

Until recently, I lived about 1 km from CL Fourways, but would travel to CL in Centurion to get my bike serviced and to buy anything that costs more than R200 (better services, more knowledgeable and generally less of a *** attitude). Have had very bad experiences at Cajees ...

Bike shops and car dealers are much the same in terms of servicing: they (generally) will take every opportunity they get to replace as much as possible when servicing, even if its not really needed / warranted, exploiting the technical ignorance of the customers. That is how they make their money, so be careful, especially when it comes to cassettes and chain rings, and the old trick the 'BB service', I mean wtf with sealed bearings ...

Just keep an eye on chair wear and replace as often as needed before it messes up your chain rings and cassette, although there will be wear & tear of those over time.

You can get 3x packs or SRAM chains at good prices on-line.

Bike shops and car dealers are much the same in terms of servicing: they (generally) will take every opportunity they get to replace as much as possible when servicing, even if its not really needed / warranted, exploiting the technical ignorance of the customers. That is how they make their money, so be careful, especially when it comes to cassettes and chain rings, and the old trick the 'BB service', I mean wtf with sealed bearings ...

Just keep an eye on chair wear and replace as often as needed before it messes up your chain rings and cassette, although there will be wear & tear of those over time.

You can get 3x packs or SRAM chains at good prices on-line.

Good advice here.

Just like the 3 pack you can get at the pharmacy, it saves you from allot of costs and frustration in the long term :P

Prevention is better than....

CRC!

I was shopping for wheels and got them for R700 cheaper than CRC at Cajees,this was in the last week.

Edited by Malkie

in all fairness, the idiots at cajees recently tried to sell me a used 2007 LX rear derailer for R950.

i could see it was OLD and used, so i thought it might be up for a bargain so i enquired about the price, but then they tried to take me for a ride. when i said that it looked used they denied it, despite it having scratches all down the side.

cycle lab on the other hand have made adjustments to my bike twice before without charging me a cent.

they also once helped me out with a spare tube when i pushed my bike in there with a flat tyre. i didnt have money on me but they trusted me enough to let me come back a few days later to pay for the tube without taking down my details.

CL has made adjustments to my bike and fitted new wheel bearings in the front wheel for free, they also set the gears on my GF's bike :thumbup:

Cajees tried to bend me over with no lube. They wanted R2000.00 to trade in a R800.00 unused crank for a R1400.00 crank and it was them that told me the bike came with full SLX but the crank was actually Deore :thumbdown:

I rather buy at CL, but if I want a complete bike or quite a few spares I will go to Westdene

The old The good, the bad and the ugly post. Will every CRC, CWC, Cyclelab, Cajees....LBS (insert name) customer be happy.

Very much doubt it.