Sukerbosrand Reserve loop - 57km

Gerhardc

SBR was a hell of a shock when I switched from a compact crankset (50/34) to a 52/39.

Definitely an awesome training ride, even if you do use more foul language than you'd like to!

My best time grid to grid was 2:03 on a slightly windy day with some cautious descending. At the time, I was either using a 23 or 25 cassette with a standard crank.

My first time there was scary and I've seen a couple of people, who I consider seriously hardcore, in tears at the end of the big climb. It doesn't really get easier with repeat visits but you do get used to it. I normally ride the climbs seated, standing occasionally to stretch my legs.

Some places you can get over 80km/h, but be careful. lots of wildlife that can pop out of nowhere and knock you off your ride, not to mention the staff cars and occasional visitors riding in the wrong direction taking short cuts. Tall grass and blind corners = danger.

best soul riding in JHB. damn wish I could be there right now...

That reminds me - if you read the fineprint on the paperwork it is legal for park vehicles to drive the wrong way around the reserve. In most places this is not a problem but be VERY careful in the twisty descent near the start - its great fun to whip down there like a mad man but if a vehicle is coming the other way you will come off second best. It happened not so long ago and the cyclist was in really bad shape. There was outrage about the vehicle going the wrong way but ultimately park vehicles are allowed to go the wrong way so take it easy down there.

+2 on best sould riding in jhb - game viewing whilst doing a hectic hills session has to be the best combination of recreational acitivites in the world :clap:

I tend to chill on the flats and downs to check out game and smash the hills - a fantastic intervals session...

Did two loops on my T/T bike in the wind on Saturday using 23/11 and 52/39 in 4h35. 2h15 / 2h20 splits.

On another topic:

Halfway trough my brick run towards the main gate a Game ranger told me that you are not allowed to run in the reserve. I've seen runners training there and a lot of hikers in the past. When did the rule change?

Did two loops on my T/T bike in the wind on Saturday using 23/11 and 52/39 in 4h35. 2h15 / 2h20 splits.

On another topic:

Halfway trough my brick run towards the main gate a Game ranger told me that you are not allowed to run in the reserve. I've seen runners training there and a lot of hikers in the past. When did the rule change?

That is pretty stupid. So you can walk slowly but not run? Unless they don't want runners on the tarred roads? Maybe lace up the trail shoes and run on the hiking paths?

Can you guys post the details for SBR, sounds great.

Where is it exactly?

Cost to get in?

Hours open?

Route?

Any other vital info?

Thanks.

Can you guys post the details for SBR, sounds great.

Where is it exactly?

Cost to get in?

Hours open?

Route?

Any other vital info?

Thanks.

Apologies Dave - just saw your questions now...

It is on the R550 between the N3 and the R59. Google Protea Hotel Suikerbosrand - most people park in the parking lot just down the hill from the Protea Hotel.

I think it's R20 per car and R10 per person.

Open from 7am until dark - currently 6pm.

The route is fairly easy to follow as it's one way for 90% of the loop. From the parking lot turn left up the &^%$^%$ steep hill - at the top turn left and follow the road - the no entry signs will guide you.

Route is divided into main loop of ~48km and a smaller loop of ~10km. Harsh climbing - there is around 1000m of climbing in 57km. Thats about the same climbing as the 94.7 but 40km shorter.

Take it easy - the climbing is more severe than most stuff you will have seen in Jhb. Not impossible but a good challenge.

Little to no cars - 1 stop street - no robots - no taxis - mostly one way - speed limit of 50kph - gamie viewing as a bonus. It really is the best 60km you will ride in Jhb. Do it now!

Edit: Just Google Earthed it - you can see the two loops just to the south of the R550 and the Protea Hotel is marked.

Edited by Eldron

Apologies Dave - just saw your questions now...

It is on the R550 between the N3 and the R59. Google Protea Hotel Suikerbosrand - most people park in the parking lot just down the hill from the Protea Hotel.

I think it's R20 per car and R10 per person.

Open from 7am until dark - currently 6pm.

The route is fairly easy to follow as it's one way for 90% of the loop. From the parking lot turn left up the &^%$^%$ steep hill - at the top turn left and follow the road - the no entry signs will guide you.

Route is divided into main loop of ~48km and a smaller loop of ~10km. Harsh climbing - there is around 1000m of climbing in 57km. Thats about the same climbing as the 94.7 but 40km shorter.

Take it easy - the climbing is more severe than most stuff you will have seen in Jhb. Not impossible but a good challenge.

Little to no cars - 1 stop street - no robots - no taxis - mostly one way - speed limit of 50kph - gamie viewing as a bonus. It really is the best 60km you will ride in Jhb. Do it now!

Edit: Just Google Earthed it - you can see the two loops just to the south of the R550 and the Protea Hotel is marked.

:thumbup:

Please see my question about gear ratio on road bike?

Dunno what my times were, but back in my youth I used to ride a 42/44 x 13/21 (8 speed cassette on a steel frame) in early season training at the reserve.

Edited by TNT1

Some take their time from grid to grid, my clock starts the moment i take my first pedal stroke in the car park.

well ,my best 2h06 ( avg time is 2h10) with a 12-23 ratio , every time after i have done it i say i will change it to a 12-25 to make life easier but never do.thats from the car park same as scotty.

After a hectic week and feeling a bit miff about life in general I did a lap and some extra of SBR on Saturday for a bit of Eldron time.

Man that place rocks - weather was perfect, no wind, animals were all sprightly (almost got taken out by some Bontebok that were frolicking about the place), the place has greened up since the fires, had good legs and met a few people along the way. Fantastic!

If ever you're feeling a bit off I recommend a solo lap of SBR as the cure - I finished feeling chilled, happy and re-energised. R30 is way cheaper and healthier than a shrink too :D

Do it. Now!