Chainlength on 2*10 drivetrain

NotSoBigBen

I am well aware of 'Google' but now and then you get a pearler from the Hubbers that you won't easily find elsewhere so in this case not, tough :rolleyes:

Ben, it all depends whether you have a long or a medium length cage derailleur.

Obviously with a medium cage, you don't need as many links as you would with a long cage.

a 2x10 drivetrain is perfect for a medium cage derailleur.

Thanks Thug, like I said every now and then some useful advice. I will check what it is just now. First going for a ride :)

So ..... after some careful consideration (thought about it for 5mins) I decided that I wanted the chain as long as possible, to cover as much of the cassette as possible in the big blade as it is a 2*10 setup.

Put it on 'small and small' and through the RD then made it so there is just some tension on the chain.

Will test it on a long ride in the morning as well as a lap through Rietvlei and see how it is.

I had a 'Heath Robinson' 2*9 setup (that is all my 3*9 stuff but with a double crank and an 11-34 cassette). Now a proper 10speed setup with an 11-36 :)

As an aside I have also gone from my normal flat bar (600mm) with bar ends setup to a 40mm riser bar (660mm) WITHOUT bar ends :thumbup: - should be interesting, didn't really miss the bar ends when we did the 56k at CC on my SS <_<

Ben, it all depends whether you have a long or a medium length cage derailleur.

Obviously with a medium cage, you don't need as many links as you would with a long cage.

a 2x10 drivetrain is perfect for a medium cage derailleur.

True. I'm running 2x9 with a stupid long cage, but my chain is medium cage. Changes ok now, but took some serious panel beating.