All Mountain / Trail Build Advice

TheV

Hello - advice and opinions appreciated.

Option 1:

Specialized 2009 S-Works Enduro SL Carbon Frame, brand new - comes with 150mm dual crown w/ integrated stem Forks, front mech, remote adjustable seatpost, and 25mm thru-axle hub included.

http://www.specialized-sa.co.za/contentbike.php?range=8&year=68&bike=120

Option 2:

Tomac Snyper 2012 Frame with 2012 Rock Shox Revelation XX 150mm

http://www.tomac.com/bikes.php?year=2012&model=snyper-140

Considerations:

S-Works looks the shizzle, dual crown looks mean, 25mm thru-axle front hub means i need to buy/build a new front wheel, dropper seatpost seems like a nice sweetner, did i say it's carbon, but also a 2009 model (does that even matter as it's brand new).

Tomac will be Black, with White Shox Rev XX, it's 2012 models and I wont have to build a new front wheel. It doesn't come with the free seatpost or front mech's - but i already have a XTR mech and super awesome Thomson Elite Layback Seatpost i can use for the build.

Both frames have similar good reviews - pricing on both build options will end up around the same cost. Tomac will have to be imported from CRC, S-Works is already in SA and available immediately.

Completed build weight will be approx the same on both options, around 13.1kg's without pedals.

What would you do? :blink:

Edited by TheV

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TOMAC.

i had a enduro, the fork is hype. Carbon on a bike that is gonna be ridden hard and over rough terrain? i don't think carbon is good for that. It a personal thing the carbon.

my 2 C

TOMAC.

i had a enduro, the fork is hype. Carbon on a bike that is gonna be ridden hard and over rough terrain? i don't think carbon is good for that. It a personal thing the carbon.

my 2 C

I agree with this if you're going to get 150mm travel you should rather be riding an aluminium frame. The problem with carbon on such a bike is that when you crash and the frame for example hits a tree/rock then you can seriously damage the frame, while with aluminium you're only going to scratch the paint or in the worst case get a dent in the frame.

Otherwise if you dont want to ride that hard then a 120mm trail bike is prob going to be a better option.

I agree with this if you're going to get 150mm travel you should rather be riding an aluminium frame. The problem with carbon on such a bike is that when you crash and the frame for example hits a tree/rock then you can seriously damage the frame, while with aluminium you're only going to scratch the paint or in the worst case get a dent in the frame.

Otherwise if you dont want to ride that hard then a 120mm trail bike is prob going to be a better option.

Thanks for the advice - I already own a dual 100mm XC Carbon bike, so I'm looking for a play thing to drop, jump and fall off from.

In other words my 100mm carbon marathon bike will be treated with respect and love "how I treat my wife for example" while the 150mm trail/am bike will be abused and used for experimenting and trying new things...

The Tomac seems to be very good value, and I'm surprised there aren't more of them around.

A later model will be easier to sell down the line if you get sick of it, or want something else.

The Tomac seems to be very good value, and I'm surprised there aren't more of them around.

A later model will be easier to sell down the line if you get sick of it, or want something else.

Mmmmh, you make good point. I have searched and searched, and looked and looked, only seem to find or hear good thing about the TomacS entire range.

Got these guys on special at the moment: Turner 5.Spot VERY VERY fun bike!!

Wow, that does look like fun...website link shows only raw colour as available? I need a large, the ANO black or grey looks awesome...

Turner 5 spot is something special....you in JHB? If you were in CT I could offer you a ride on mine

Andre mentioned yours this morning. Considering one myself...

Edited by The Crow

Got these guys on special at the moment: Turner 5.Spot VERY VERY fun bike!!

The Turner 5 spot is nice.

Whats the news on the Sukuma ? Has it gone into production yet ?

TheV - don't stuff around mate!

Get the 5Spot, a Santa Cruz TRc or an Intense Carbide...if you have the moola then an Ibis HD or a Nomad.

Or buy Schmoose's bike, its a seriously good deal!

13.1kgs aint very light for cash you will be dropping for those puppies you mentioned initially, or are my maff's a bit out?

Edited by MoreTrails