Denyed

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seals: Use Enduro seals.

O-rings: Get them from BMG

Crush washers....you're in trouble. Search for a "Crush Washer" topic in Tech Q&A - maybe a year or more ago, and you'll find out about the history of the ZA-made crush washer. Enduro doesn't supply crush washers with their Rox seals - bizarre.

You cannot use copper washers - not even annealed ones. Firstly you'll have to find the right size, since they have to fit inside the cup of the footnut. Secondly, they're too hard, even when annealed. The max torque you should apply to the compression rods is 6NM. A copper washer to seat, would require about 20NM.

O-rings: measuring them up would require a vernier. Get one. Learn to use it.

O-rings are measured on the section (rubber thickness) and on the ID. In other words, an O-ring that has a 25mm hole and the rubber is 3mm thick, is called a 3 x 25. Hardness is measured in Shore. Use standard 70 shore. They can be had in various materials, you're looking for Buna or whatever the brandname equivalent is.

Rox forks have stacks of O-rings. There's a 3 x 10, 3.5 x 12, several 24 x 2.5 ones and...I cannot remember what else.

Judge the quality of an existing O-ring by rolling it between your fingers. Any out-of roundness and flat sections, means it should be replaced. It should also be soft, but soft is subjective.

Tell anyone who tells you it is too difficult, to go jump. Gooi them a finger.

Thanks Johan, I just decided to go for the kit for now which arrived today. I'll see what o-rings I end up actually using and then will make a list for future use so I don't need to spend so much on the kit. I went and got some fork oil from a motorbike shop which seems to have the same viscosity as the rockshox one - Belray branded. Just need to get a few more items tomorrow and then gonna tackle the service this weekend. Will let you guys know how it goes!

Seals: Use Enduro seals.

Somehow I remember you previously mentioning (I could be smoking my socks) that these cause extra stiction. Are they actually relatively better in the end then?

Thanks Johan, I just decided to go for the kit for now which arrived today. I'll see what o-rings I end up actually using and then will make a list for future use so I don't need to spend so much on the kit. I went and got some fork oil from a motorbike shop which seems to have the same viscosity as the rockshox one - Belray branded. Just need to get a few more items tomorrow and then gonna tackle the service this weekend. Will let you guys know how it goes!

Well done. An that set you back boggerol, di'nit?

Fox shock kit = R120.00 RETAIL

Time to service. Breezy 20min.

LBS's charge 5-600 ZAR.

<_< NO CONTEST.

Enjoy. (you printed the instructions?)

OK, well this is just an update. I set about servicing my fork today and took the damper apart. Turns out the bike shop ordered the wrong o-ring kit - Its for the 28mm older sids.. Will take it back and either get a new one or just do as Johan suggested - Buy the o-rings from BMG. I took the air side apart as well and have cleaned everything and removed all the o-rings so I can measure them up. (Hopefully I can remember where each one went!) Will try and get the o-rings during the week again now and put everything back together!

Hijack on

Question for Johan (Rockshox Reba race 2008)

When my MTB is lying on it's side I have noticed oil leking from the motion control damper (leaking seal) I have heard that the agents will not supply the seal, but only the full unit (costly). I thought that it was only an o-ring that needs to be replaced. Supsequent I heard that it is not an o-ring but a "tappered seal" specific to Rockshox

Is this correct?

Hijack off

Somehow I remember you previously mentioning (I could be smoking my socks) that these cause extra stiction. Are they actually relatively better in the end then?

Not me. I have no problem with them.

Hijack on

Question for Johan (Rockshox Reba race 2008)

When my MTB is lying on it's side I have noticed oil leking from the motion control damper (leaking seal) I have heard that the agents will not supply the seal, but only the full unit (costly). I thought that it was only an o-ring that needs to be replaced. Supsequent I heard that it is not an o-ring but a "tappered seal" specific to Rockshox

Is this correct?

Hijack off

There is a tapered seal in there but it seldom leaks. 99% of the leaks from the top comes from a small O-ring that seals the silver metal shaft against the black top cap. Replace that O-ring first before investing R900 (or whatever) in a new MCD. A new O-ring wil cost R2-78

This from the Park Tool link given somewhere in this fred:

The two lower leg bolts use a "crush washer" to form a seal (Figure 7). With repeated removal and installation, these washers will wear out and become deformed. When this occurs it will eventually allow fluid to leak. Typically these washers can be reused four to five times before they should be replaced.

Ok - if you can use crush washers 4 or 5 times, that means buying a kit only once every 4 or 5 times. That seems completely acceptable to me... I have to admit, I thought that once crush washers were crushed once, that was it.

Finished servicing my fork. I couldn't get the 32mm kit so I just ended up cleaning everything and putting it back together. I am monitoring whether or not there is oil leaking out the bottom due to my crush washers and think there might be a slow leak so will keep an eye on it.

Finished servicing my fork. I couldn't get the 32mm kit so I just ended up cleaning everything and putting it back together. I am monitoring whether or not there is oil leaking out the bottom due to my crush washers and think there might be a slow leak so will keep an eye on it.

??? :unsure:

Was assured that the kit I had originally gotten was the 32mm kit and that you can't get a 28mm kit anymore even though it was the 28mm kit... I went to BMG to get the orings there and they had to order some of them which I am still waiting for. I eventually just got over it cause I wanted to ride my bike again so just decided to put it back together and test it out. I checked the orings like Johan suggested and all of them seemed to be fine as far as I could tell. I could maybe try a different shop to see if they can order the correct kit for when I service it again. At least I now know its not such a hard job and will probably only take a few hours when I do it again - now that I have all of the tools, oil etc as well as the experience! Thanks for all of your help!

Life's too short to sukkel like that. E-mail me and I'll supply you with everything, including crush washers.

Sorry to post a silly question but where is this BMG place, or is it sort for buildersmarket something or what?