Critical Mass Jozi - 27 September 2013

skidd

Insanely massive! Don't know how many people (because we only really saw the tail end of it), but Mike said he wouldn't be surprised if it hit 2000!

The fact that not everyone could fit in the Maboneng Precinct should be an indication of the size.

I told your co-pilot that you have full permission to SEVERELY punish anyone who ends up in that van

and that brings me to my next few points based on observations from lastnight...

and guys/girls... I say this with all the love in my heart... PLEASE:

• Be a boy-scout! Be Prepared. Make sure you have tubes, multitools, pumps etc. There were tons of "porridge-wheels" lastnight, and a few mechanicals. The last thing you want is to be stranded in downtown Jozi. Mikes Bike's was kind enough to have some in their van for the desperate.
  • Don't Strand yourself! The amount of people that lagged behind because they were bar hopping, was rediculous. One group must have been abou 10min behind the bunch because they stopped at a seedy looking tavern to get beer. Then on top of it they weren't exactly the fastest riders either so only caught up at the Maboneng stop. Another lot must have fallen asleep at Maboneng and only poked their heads out of the restaurant long after everyone was gone. They also didn't know the way, and we ended up following them on their own little detour (we would have lead them, but that defeats the point of a sweeper vehicle). Luckily they joined up. But yeah... the point of critical mass is to stay in a massive bunch.
  • Running the Red. Yes, as a mass we hold the traffic and run the red. But when one is in a straggler bunch of 5 or so, and there are no marshalls riding ahead to the intersection to make it safe... please be more cautious when deciding to run a red. Although we were behind some of you as a support vehicle, traffic and the law makes it hard for us to also run the red and follow you through. There were a couple of times when we cringed because it was a small bunch of 5 or less people, no lights, and running reds in busy parts of town.

But yeah... awesome evening! The atmosphere was amazing... and even though I didn't get to ride and sat in a support vehicle... it was still better than not going to CM at all!

Big up to you Skidd, the other support vehicles, the Think Bike guys, the marshalls, and anyone else who works to make this safe and fun for everyone else! I learnt last night that it's pretty stressful being part of the crew! ...general mass for me next time! :lol:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed it a lot. My two concerns were the number of people without helmets -- I thought there was a no helmet no ride rule -- and the number of people driving drunk towards the end. Seriously, this defeats the entire purpose of the event

Amazing time last night.

What got me thinking was the amount of people that fell over due to not being able to clip out in time. The pace at some points got really slow and people had trouble carrying enough momentum to stay upright.

Ouch!

Also saw a guy slam down big time before the beer stop when the chain on his fixie either snapped or came off.

One thing people should however pay attention to is to not stop dead in the middle of the group. Got a bit hairy since the Corvette picks up momentum quickly and a coaster brake is only so effective :clap:

Thanks everyone for coming. I reckon at least 1600. Not that I bothered trying to count. If anyone has charity stuff they didn't get to drop off, inbox me and we will arrange. See you 28 September 2012

Thanks Skidd yet again, it was incredible, almost surreal especially the crowds after we left Ellis Park.

The Vuvuzela's and the people cheering from their flats was goose bump stuff :thumbup:

To the tonsils trying to manual between a person on a bicycle and their car, you didn't mange to impress anyone, simply made yourself look like a bigger box.

Thanks Skidd yet again, it was incredible, almost surreal especially the crowds after we left Ellis Park.

The Vuvuzela's and the people cheering from their flats was goose bump stuff :thumbup:

To the tonsils trying to manual between a person on a bicycle and their car, you didn't mange to impress anyone, simply made yourself look like a bigger box.

What I don't get (and it happens a lot towards the front) are the people who intimidate pedestrians, or even worse who are rude/insulting towards people in town who, usually are welcoming. Boggles the mind. Good thing there are very few of them and most people are there with the right attitude and for the right reasons.

People of Jozi, we should be very proud that so many of us are coming out month after month and enjoying the city. And Joburgers are really great people. If you ever doubt that, come on a CM ride

Thanks everyone for coming. I reckon at least 1600. Not that I bothered trying to count. If anyone has charity stuff they didn't get to drop off, inbox me and we will arrange. See you 28 September 2012

Hi There,

I got some packs I put together, but did not know where to drop off.

What I don't get (and it happens a lot towards the front) are the people who intimidate pedestrians, or even worse who are rude/insulting towards people in town who, usually are welcoming. Boggles the mind. Good thing there are very few of them and most people are there with the right attitude and for the right reasons.

People of Jozi, we should be very proud that so many of us are coming out month after month and enjoying the city. And Joburgers are really great people. If you ever doubt that, come on a CM ride

I was blown away at how the locals embraced us, it's almost like they were looking forward to it, like it's become an institution for them.

Even the police were accommodating in places.

I see in some CM rides in other cities people are getting arrested.

I think in conjunction with the Jo'Burg council as well as the people we can make the city a city for the people.

The Think Bike guys were fantastic as well.

My first CM ride and what an experience, can't believe I missed all the others!!! its like discovering chocolate icecream with all the trimmings - but even better...the vibe, the variety of bikes, the variety of characters on bikes, the atmosphere and just the locals all cheering us on in jozi town and Mayfair!! wow - thanks all - had a great time and will see you all in September and we definitely bringing lots more friends to join the masses :w00t:

Can't believe i missed this one...took the wife for a wine and dine to build up brownie points for the nissan race the next day. Should have been the other way around.

Enjoyed it a lot. My two concerns were the number of people without helmets -- I thought there was a no helmet no ride rule -- and the number of people driving drunk towards the end. Seriously, this defeats the entire purpose of the event

No matter how hard you try you cannot control everyone in such a big group. The whole idea is not be entirely lawless but not to be governed by too many rules and allow people to be responsible for their own actions. Grant Usher wrote a great article on Critical Mass published in the latest issue of Ride mag. Worth a read.

For the record at a certain large mtb race this weekend I saw, from an distance, a couple of kids start the 20km route without helmets.

Was our first CM this last Friday and left both of us with broad smiles. So many cool things,all probably previously mentioned. Will definitely be back.

Did feel bad about the litter left on the street after the stop off. Perhaps some cardboard foldup dustbins would solve the issue at no significant cost. The Monster truck could probably bring them along.