Durbanville High School Funride and MTB 2011

Tiny K

You forget the little mouses pedigree young man... a 50odd km solo break isn't for sissies ;)

I think those IM legs need to take a break (no pun intended) so the rest of us can catch up.

Whats up with this pace anyway, i had a technical and lost the group, finished second last in my group but beat last years time by 12 minutes........

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get out of da bed, sleepy head?

;)

I did, 'Dale! Did the 91 (so my flight deck tells me) but boy, I'm scared to look at my time. You know you've got trouble when the marshalls overtake you...

For some reason(6-speeds and about 13kg maybe?) it was a *** race for me, nursing cramps for the last 20km. That said, I did try a bit of bunch riding for the first time ever - it's pretty easy in there but I get impatient on the uphills and dropped on the downhills.

Now, let me go back and read the rest of the posts ...

(Just checked: results are as bad as I thought they were. No mention here for fear of being thrown out of the cycling community and told to ride a tricycle in the 5km.)

Edited by LeTurbo

Hi Guys,

I must say I was very impressed by the organizing of the race... Having said that my speedo clocked the distance at around 88km? anyone else experience this?

@tiny k: nice riding with you man, bummer about your chain - missed you in the dash to the line! i see our group nailed the course, came in earlier than the sv's, nice one!

@touristvisa: good to see you after the race. well done on your time, you must be stoked!

see you guys at the next one

Edited by the (other) Nuge

@tiny k: nice riding with you man, bummer about your chain - missed you in the dash to the line! i see our group nailed the course, came in earlier than the sv's, nice one!

@touristvisa: good to see you after the race. well done on your time, you must be stoked!

see you guys at the next one

So, are you the ex bullet? Can't remember if you said what your new avatar name was. Wait, lemmie go check your avatar and see what your previous name was.....

That being said, that chain drop was like a nail in the coffin for me. Was relatively fatigued and was just wanting to stay ahead of the group over the climb. then chain drop and it was almost all over. the boxing in of the two league riders was uncool, but a lesson learnt for next time.

Edit: now that I have checked, and see you are who I thought you are...LOL. confusing I know. Dude, you rode flipping well. When you wanted to go at 2hr mark I was keen but the rest of the guys were only wanting to sit wheel, so even when I wanted to bridge the gap to you, they just sat behind me. Decided to rather wait for the final climb. Then the chain gate saga, and the boxing in just did it to me.

See you at Klein Joostenberg or West Coast Express?

Edited by Tiny K

Hi Guys,

I must say I was very impressed by the organizing of the race... Having said that my speedo clocked the distance at around 88km? anyone else experience this?

It was around the high 89Km's according to my garmin.... see it as a bonus average speed boost. Most races are like that. it pushed my ave speed from 38km/h to just over 40km/h :thumbup:

Hmmm, I got 93 odd Km's on my Cateye, my stoker got the same on her Cateye (rear wheel sensor). We pushed off in L group on stokers seeding after enquiring from PPA, a few days beforehand, whether there would be a separate tandem start group, and being told by email there wasn't. We were then asked at the start of L group by PPA officials, including the chairman Steve Haywood, why we didn't start with the tandems group ?!? I mailed PPA today on this. Don't they know their own business ? :thumbdown:

Anyways, we had a fast start and broke clear of L group within 30m, taking a single rider with us. We caught the J-K group before the Fisantekraal turn, and rode with them most of the way until the last 20Km. We paced a few of the dropped riders back to the bunch a few times until the gap was too big for us to bridge on the last few rollers. We finished on 02:46, so it was a good training ride/race for our DC prep, and only our second tandem race together. It seems there's lots of things to get used to in racing a tandem, but we're making good progress ...

So, are you the ex bullet? Can't remember if you said what your new avatar name was. Wait, lemmie go check your avatar and see what your previous name was.....

That being said, that chain drop was like a nail in the coffin for me. Was relatively fatigued and was just wanting to stay ahead of the group over the climb. then chain drop and it was almost all over. the boxing in of the two league riders was uncool, but a lesson learnt for next time.

Edit: now that I have checked, and see you are who I thought you are...LOL. confusing I know. Dude, you rode flipping well. When you wanted to go at 2hr mark I was keen but the rest of the guys were only wanting to sit wheel, so even when I wanted to bridge the gap to you, they just sat behind me. Decided to rather wait for the final climb. Then the chain gate saga, and the boxing in just did it to me.

See you at Klein Joostenberg or West Coast Express?

maybe you should invest in one of these: https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&do=view_item&item_id=14220 of course, then you won't have any excuses :D

won't be at KJ, entered WP champs for the day before (on time, unlike some others :lol: ). will see you guys at WCE though. should be fast!

maybe you should invest in one of these: https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubmarket&do=view_item&item_id=14220 of course, then you won't have any excuses :D

won't be at KJ, entered WP champs for the day before (on time, unlike some others :lol: ). will see you guys at WCE though. should be fast!

HAHAHA, such a funny one aren't you... NOT! LOL. Maybe I must just remember that changing to smaller ring in front and smaller hear at the back leads to possible schleckie chain gate saga's.

Will see if I do the WCE - might have a DC final team ride that weekend.

Was good to have dope control at the event. Think they must start doing it at all events. Not only big races.

Yeah!! :thumbup:

You forget the little mouses pedigree young man... a 50odd km solo break isn't for sissies ;)

That was a superb break...

:thumbup:

Would the mouse gotten caught if two H & I riders did not hitch him home over the last 5 kms?

Only the cycling gods have the answer...

End result: Mouse 1 - F/G bunch O :P :P

I think those IM legs need to take a break (no pun intended) so the rest of us can catch up.

Whats up with this pace anyway, i had a technical and lost the group, finished second last in my group but beat last years time by 12 minutes........

I looked for your result and couldn't find it.

Did you have your pigeon tag on, man?

I did, 'Dale! Did the 91 (so my flight deck tells me) but boy, I'm scared to look at my time. You know you've got trouble when the marshalls overtake you...

For some reason(6-speeds and about 13kg maybe?) it was a *** race for me, nursing cramps for the last 20km. That said, I did try a bit of bunch riding for the first time ever - it's pretty easy in there but I get impatient on the uphills and dropped on the downhills.

Now, let me go back and read the rest of the posts ...

(Just checked: results are as bad as I thought they were. No mention here for fear of being thrown out of the cycling community and told to ride a tricycle in the 5km.)

Glad you made it outta bed, man.

In fact, it was a great day for racing with your fellow amateurs, wasn't?

Well done on finishing the 90 plus race!

Hi Guys,

It has been a consistent feature for several years now.

Great effort by the organisers of the D Vill High School!

Just lekka to see the kids involved.

And the MTB event is growing in stature too!

just seen my seeding has improved to G after the durbanville race, thanks to the Outriders DC team for pulling H group!!

My target is to reach D seeding by end of summer so this is a good step forward towards this :D