Discount, eish

wesley_r

And you don't ask for discount do you?

I don't need to, their prices are so damn good. And I earn smart shopper points.

Come onnnnnn TNT. Not the old "do you ask for discount at the supermarket" argument. ;)

Let me spin it around - do you NOT ask for discount at your LBS? If so, I applaud you, you're either a better man than me or you're loaded. If the latter, can we be friends? My birthday is a couple of months off...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me spin it around - do you NOT ask for discount at your LBS?

Nope. I shop at Westdene.

I don't need to, their prices are so damn good. And I earn smart shopper points.

Come onnnnnn TNT. Not the old "do you ask for discount at the supermarket" argument. ;)

Let me spin it around - do you NOT ask for discount at your LBS? If so, I applaud you, you're either a better man than me or you're loaded. If the latter, can we be friends? My birthday is a couple of months off...

hahahaha nice WES :thumbup:

I will ask for discount at most shops I go to, if you don't ask, you don't get. If it makes me sound cheap so be it, i may have got it cheaper then you. :P

I even ask CWC for discounts, heaven forbid.

I even ask CWC for discounts, heaven forbid.

They've been on my list for over 5 years now.

You are easily prostituted, even though your explanation and rethoric is long winded, nobody can be THAT desperate, neither can tyres be THAT difficult to find.

I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with hop!

Wes - some pointers

- Rational arguments

- Not naming and shaming a LBS

- Not swearing at TNT when he goes off on a tangent

This is not the HUB way... :thumbdown:

4. I was never asked how I was going to pay. Could have paid cash if credit was an issue.

:thumbup:

:thumbup:

My usual response to a discount request is to ask just that.

I never ask for discount, but never refuse it either.

What I have done on the odd occasion was to point out to a store if they are hellishly over pricing an item that I could get at other shops ... what they do with that information is up to them.

I vote with my wallet.

Now if you do ask and the sales guy/lady acts like a chop and does not treat your request in a professional manner then treat him/her like a chop...

Agreed, they shouldn't treat you badly for asking for discount. Most bike shops will give a 5-10% discount if you pay by eft. I'm sure their profit margins are high enough to give you a bit of discount and thereby ensuring you come back for more goods in the future. In general customer service is notoriously bad in SA.

It's not all bad though. I was pleasantly surprised last weekend when I went to Cyclo Pro in PE and asked about the size of a 29er that would fit me. They quickly measured my height and inseam, explained some technical stuff to me and were very helpful. I'll definitely go back there. Shops need us as clients and actually they need to earn our loyalty.

I know asking for discount is a contentious issue. I know bike shops need to feed their families too. I know that some people believe that discount is earned with years of loyalty to one shop. I know others believe a discount is a right.

All I know is this - I will ask for discount, especially when I'm buying a R600 tyre and am paying you for fitment as well. And if you don't give me discount, that's fine too - at least I asked.

BUT please treat me with courtesy. The exact response I received this morning was "discount!?" from one sales person, who then turned to the next sales person who looked like he was about to burst out laughing. He then proceeded to tell me how awesome the tyre was. They never said "no" outright, they just treated me with such contempt for daring to pose the question that their answer was clear.

Appropriate responses to a customer asking for discount:

"But of course!"

"Let's see if we can work something out..."

"I'll chat to the manager and see if it's possible"

"Sorry, can't give you discount on this item, but we'll fit it for free!"

Or simply:

"Sorry, we can't give you discount on this item"

But please, don't treat me like an A-hole for asking for a simple discount. If they weren't the only people near me with that tyre, and I wasn't so desperate for it, I would have walked away. I'm notoriously impatient :)

You are entitled to ask for a discount and receive a civil response!

The argument do you ask for a discount at SPAR also has no merit, because you could ask for a discount, if you wanted to. On basic groceries where prices are fairly similar and often regulated by suppliers (unless with price fixing) is there a point? On more expensive purchases you can, and often do get something back.

I have asked for discounts on items at Checkers, when the price displayed on the package was different to the shelf edge label, and I received the labelled price. Also on goods where the packing is old or ripped.

Another example would be at Game beating any price on a fridge I recently purchased.

Like the saying goes "if you don’t ask, you don’t get"!

Edited by Chubba

Me too, I'm also keen for a dop. Woza weekend.

The clock reads… BE:ER

Wonder if I can get discount on a Hansa tower…? :D

The clock reads… BE:ER

Wonder if I can get discount on a Hansa tower…? :D

You can only ask, maybe he will fill it too the top instead of the bloody line ;) Don't give me no head on my beer