Smoking and Cycling

Slowbee

Sorry Caerus don't take this the wrong way but that bold bit is your problem right there. You programming your mind to always have something to go back to. I stopped smoking by reading the book by Alan Carr. I don't know what actually made me stop but whilst reading that book I became pretty excited to stop, and once i did stop all I had to do was keep reminding myself I am now a Non Smoker.

Makes sence.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes sence.

I think by labbelling myself a "Non-smoker" all of a sudden my whole mind set had changed as well.

Sorry Caerus don't take this the wrong way but that bold bit is your problem right there. You programming your mind to always have something to go back to. I stopped smoking by reading the book by Alan Carr. I don't know what actually made me stop but whilst reading that book I became pretty excited to stop, and once i did stop all I had to do was keep reminding myself I am now a Non Smoker.

No problem, but I would rather fall back on something at least if I did get a craving. In my mind I have decided that this is now the time to knock this on the head. My comment was more for other people that might struggle, especially when on the sauce.

I smoked for about 10 years and I enjoyed every minute of it. I always told myself though that when I get married, that's the day I stop. I'm clean for just over 2 years now. I haven't touched one for 2 years, not even a couple of drags. The best way to quit is not to cut down but just to stop completely. The first month is extremely difficult especially when you're in the company of smokers and you get that urge. You just need to be strong and say no. After that one month it becomes easier and easier and after 2 months, I started forgetting about smoking. When I was with my buddies, I didn't even have any cravings. They smoked and I just did my own thing. I think if you can go 3 months, you're pretty much home and dry. Because after 3 months, just the smell of a cigarette started putting me off and I thought to myself, how the hell did I manage to smoke for 10 years when it smells so crap? I could now understand why non-smokers get so upset when people smoke near them. The smell is terrible. And the worst is sitting next to someone who has just finished a cigarette. They literally smell like a freaking ashtray. It's nauseating.

The worst thing about all this is after 2 years, I can still feel my lungs are damaged. The worst is when you are climbing a mountain and you are breathing heavily while the guy next to you is going the same tempo but you can barely hear him breathing.

Guest DieBees

I've stoped today. Feeling good, a little edgy but good.

Just hang in there. I also smoked and really, its not that bad!

The good news is a craving only lasts about 20 seconds.

Go for a ride this afternoon and feel the difference!

DO NOT GIVE UP! You can do it!

I smoked for about 10 years and I enjoyed every minute of it. I always told myself though that when I get married, that's the day I stop. I'm clean for just over 2 years now. I haven't touched one for 2 years, not even a couple of drags. The best way to quit is not to cut down but just to stop completely. The first month is extremely difficult especially when you're in the company of smokers and you get that urge. You just need to be strong and say no. After that one month it becomes easier and easier and after 2 months, I started forgetting about smoking. When I was with my buddies, I didn't even have any cravings. They smoked and I just did my own thing. I think if you can go 3 months, you're pretty much home and dry. Because after 3 months, just the smell of a cigarette started putting me off and I thought to myself, how the hell did I manage to smoke for 10 years when it smells so crap? I could now understand why non-smokers get so upset when people smoke near them. The smell is terrible. And the worst is sitting next to someone who has just finished a cigarette. They literally smell like a freaking ashtray. It's nauseating.

The worst thing about all this is after 2 years, I can still feel my lungs are damaged. The worst is when you are climbing a mountain and you are breathing heavily while the guy next to you is going the same tempo but you can barely hear him breathing.

I thought so too, after driving my dad to hospital while he was having a heart attack I walked out the hospital bought a box and smoked 3 in a row back to back. :wacko:

I stopped smoking a couple of months ago and since that time I am not looking back.

:clap:

Now I have more money to spend on cycling and I don't stink anymore.

I stopped smoking 2 years ago, had been smoking for 12 years and was close on 2 packs a day. Decided to get fit and did really well with not smoking. Started again in May this year and have slowly worked my way up to a pack a day up to now. At first I didn't feel the effect on my training but now I can feel it has a major effect on me, esp on race days.

Have also decided once an for all that this smoking thing is nonsense and will be kicking the habit this week.

I've done it before no reason why I can't do it again!

I stopped smoking 2 years ago, had been smoking for 12 years and was close on 2 packs a day. Decided to get fit and did really well with not smoking. Started again in May this year and have slowly worked my way up to a pack a day up to now. At first I didn't feel the effect on my training but now I can feel it has a major effect on me, esp on race days.

Have also decided once an for all that this smoking thing is nonsense and will be kicking the habit this week.

I've done it before no reason why I can't do it again!

Good Luck :thumbup:

Allo peeps haven't been on for a while ... yes i know i was sorely missed by all in my fabulousness :P

Ok so for those who know me would know i love smoking at least 60 ciggies a day in general. And i have/had no desire to quite ever. Long story short got tired of having to walk everywhere to go have a fag so got me a twispy thingy for those times when you dont want to leave your desk or go down 5 flights in a shopping centre etc. Just something to feed the craving when in need.

Long story short, I like the taste of the liquids and started vaping more and smoking less, even though I dont consider myself to be a non-smoker at all, I have had about 8 ciggies this last month, the rest of the time i suck on my tasty metal stick. I don't miss smokes but ill have one when there is sufficient quantities of red wine flowing. so guess we can label this an accidental quit.

Guess I am going to have to modify old knersis as well :(

Howzit going fella, welcome back to the land of the hub :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Day 5 -- Champix really does help..feeling ok...a bit run down but I'll push through it . I have tried the Champix before but I think I almost expected the tabs to magically solve everything. Read "The Easy Way" which changed some dumb mindsets that I had and also got rid of the fear of quitting

I started the pack at 1 a day 0.5 mg and when it went up to 2 x 0.5mg I felt strong enough to quit completely. I have experienced a bit of nausea but I will take nausea over Lung Cancer everyday of the week.

I havent had any real cravings to speak of but I am very weary of getting over confident.

I have to keep reminding myself to happy that I have quit but mentally I believe that the battle has only just begun.

.KAKKEST habit there ever was!!!!!!!! Thanks to everyone on this thread that contributed. Keep going...

Edited by Ryanie

I've been having the odd ciggie now and then, maybe two a day, otherwise been using the Twisp. Lungs are feeling better for sure :thumbup:

Same i go for many days on my twispy without touching a ciggy, when mates are over for dop and tjop ill steal a couple of theirs but haven't felt the need to buy a box in over 2 months now.