Style of Chain tensioner i used

Iron

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to hear from you.

Added to my "wishlist" already.

My question is witch one?? (there is almost 10 to chose from)

Thx, good luck for Saturday on your SS bonie...

I'm watching Kings of Leon, so, have to save up ALL my strength :drool:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17282

This one , BUT !! make sure its the BB mounted one , top of the list !! otherwise you can like to have a problem.

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=17282

This one , BUT !! make sure its the BB mounted one , top of the list !! otherwise you can like to have a problem.

THX for the advice.

The BB one is the one I had my eye on :huh:

Now, the next question will be how do you determine chain length?

What I had in mind, is to mount my biggest sprocket (20T), and then wrap the chain around, through the tensioner and have the tensioner sit at around 7 o'clock (as you look at the tensioner from the drive side).

That should leave me with enough room to put smaller cog's on, and then tension with the tensioner more to 8 and 9 o'clock position.

Another question, is how do you tension the tensioner?

I see some bolt holes. Is there a way to loosen them, rotate the tensioner, tighten or fix again, and then apply the necessary tension in that way?

THX a mil for your help and advice.

Will post you a pic of my completed SS soon

DSC_7697small.pdf

Well , i only run two rear sprockets 15 and 14 so chain length for me was easy , fitted the bigger one and set it accordingly . Remember the BB style one has no holes as shown. to move it you need to loosen the BB. But the pulley wheel is slotted so you can move it up and down without taking the crank off.

Its a bit of trial and error , just fit it and see what will work for your set up . im also running a 33 front ring. i would suggest you get some half links for your chain ( if you running a SS chain ) it will help with that fine adjustment .

Thanks Bud, will chop it once i know it will be 100% ( old frame so wont get a hanger again for it ) , racing it tomo so will see.

:thumbup:

Niner boy

PS : Very nice ride you building there , good luck and let see it completed soon .

Niner boy

PS : Very nice ride you building there , good luck and let see it completed soon .

THX Iron Boy.

A little of a "spoil", to me from me...

The bike is whole and riding, but there was an issue with my Formula RX (white) F brake bleed port, so running JUST a back brake.

I am waiting to "complete" the bike, then I will post you FULL pics.

Also, running a XX RockShox 100mm F sus.

LEKKER!!!

Big fun

Well , i only run two rear sprockets 15 and 14 so chain length for me was easy , fitted the bigger one and set it accordingly . Remember the BB style one has no holes as shown. to move it you need to loosen the BB. But the pulley wheel is slotted so you can move it up and down without taking the crank off.

Its a bit of trial and error , just fit it and see what will work for your set up . im also running a 33 front ring. i would suggest you get some half links for your chain ( if you running a SS chain ) it will help with that fine adjustment .

Thx for this advice.

I'm running a 32T front, with a 34T "spare" on my wishlist...

Unfortunately my Race Face evolve XC chainring is leaning towards the 9sdp chain side (the recommended chain is 9spd).

My rear sprockets are the deeper section teeth, for SS but also recommended 9spd chain.

The sprockets I use are all the Gusset 1 ER SS sprockets.

I have to say, the SS makes me feel like a kid again :clap:

My play-thing...:eek:

THX Iron Boy.

A little of a "spoil", to me from me...

The bike is whole and riding, but there was an issue with my Formula RX (white) F brake bleed port, so running JUST a back brake.

I am waiting to "complete" the bike, then I will post you FULL pics.

Also, running a XX RockShox 100mm F sus.

LEKKER!!!

Big fun

Well done ! ya my race bike is new bling bling too but I’m still a bit of the old school SS type , I believe they must be built from old used parts, its going to change one day though.

Well done ! ya my race bike is new bling bling too but I’m still a bit of the old school SS type , I believe they must be built from old used parts, its going to change one day though.

LOL :lol:

That was my intention too, to build from OLD parts.

Initially, I thought I will only have to get a frame and fork, well, that didn't work out

I only ended up using ONLY my spare set of wheels... :P

The seatpost was a different diameter, and so... then I got the matching new stem and a new handlebar.

The saddle was PURE bling and colour coding, but ended up to be EXTREMELY comfy.

Might even get one for my NINER RIP9 x20 ;)

Lotsa FUN!!!

A pic of the slot I’m referring too that helps with tensioning .

Thx for your trouble, and the Pic :D

Good luck for the weekend race.

My Blackspire on the wishlist and will be fitted sooner rather than later.

Cherio

Right , I said I would report back on the tensioner after a race. Did the USN 60km the past weekend, and what a jol. the tensioner worked flawlessly . so can report it worth doing .

Cheers.

Right , I said I would report back on the tensioner after a race. Did the USN 60km the past weekend, and what a jol. the tensioner worked flawlessly . so can report it worth doing .

Cheers.

Thanks Iron for the feedback.

I see some other HUBBERS followed your suggestion...

The Blackspire tensioner is on B/O at CRC (still on my wishlist).

Enjoy your SS.

PS, I should post some pics of my completed bike later this week...

Cherio

• 2 weeks later...

Iron: Two questions re that BB mounted tensioner.

1. I am building a Niner MCR and fitted the BB and cranks last night...there are no spacers to take out so I was wondering whether it would create an issue with fitting the tensioner?

2. You mention you replaced the roller...why did you replace it...is the standard one sub-standard? I don't want to buy one and get it shipped only to realise that I need to order something else to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Iron: Two questions re that BB mounted tensioner.

1. I am building a Niner MCR and fitted the BB and cranks last night...there are no spacers to take out so I was wondering whether it would create an issue with fitting the tensioner?

2. You mention you replaced the roller...why did you replace it...is the standard one sub-standard? I don't want to buy one and get it shipped only to realise that I need to order something else to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

XTC1 , if you do not have a spacer to remove behind the BB , I don’t see it as a issue to still just fit the tensioner ( bb will step out about 2mm that’s all )

the reason I replaced the roller with a roller from my DMR tensioner was because the std pulley was too narrow for the chain , that’s all. the dmr one can take a wider chain .

Do what I did , order this chain guide as well as a dmr type , you then have the ability to strip and make one up as well as two different style tentioners in case one does not work for you.

can never have to many options in my opinion.

Archived