Style of Chain tensioner i used

Iron

Thanks Iron, I'm def going to run into issues with chain width as I am currently using a ridiculously overwide halflink chain. SS is meant to make life easier not MORE complicated!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Iron, I'm def going to run into issues with chain width as I am currently using a ridiculously overwide halflink chain. SS is meant to make life easier not MORE complicated!

Well SS for me was more hassle than fun till i did this , now im as happy as a pig is crap. never worry just ride and clean.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't ordered the tensioner yet but got lucky on a magic ratio of 32 x 17 on a Medium Niner MCR. I thought I'd be hopelessly overgeared as it's pretty steep where I ride but compared to my Inbred with 32 x 18 this bike climbs like a homesick squirrel...am loving it.

Magic gear eh? What chain are you using?

I had a magic gear once. Lasted about 100km then the chain stretched and I had to put the tensioner back on....

I have a cheapie SRAM PC-1 1/8 inch chain....

Got a halflink on at the moment.

The magic gear is just a interim fix until I get my tensioner so I'm not too stressed about it. Maybe when the chain becomes too slack for the 17 I can replace it with the 18 I really prefer...anyway probably placing a sneaky order today. To tell you the truth I wasn't planning on building the bike till next year until after I'd collected all the bits I needed but then I was tinkering in the garage one evening last week and next thing I new the Niner was built and the Inbred lying in a hundred pieces on the garage floor.

The magic gear is just a interim fix until I get my tensioner so I'm not too stressed about it. Maybe when the chain becomes too slack for the 17 I can replace it with the 18 I really prefer...anyway probably placing a sneaky order today. To tell you the truth I wasn't planning on building the bike till next year until after I'd collected all the bits I needed but then I was tinkering in the garage one evening last week and next thing I new the Niner was built and the Inbred lying in a hundred pieces on the garage floor.

I know that feeling well.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one ... so can we please have pics of the new build and the naked inbred :)

• 1 month later...

What I don't like about the Hub option is that you then have to build up a whole wheel or rebuild your existing wheel and then you also have to use those silly screw on sprockets ... had those sprockets on the old inbred and I must say I did not really enjoy them at all

I'm running the screw on SS freewheels on a DMR Revolver SS specific hub and they are a pain as they wind themselves so tight onto the Hub you are close on guaranteed of damaging them when removing them and they are becoming increasingly difficult to find. For the amount of money I've spent on those I could have bought myself a very nice rear hub and a handful of replacement sprockets.

• 1 year later...
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k488/alexboer2004/All%20City%20Big%20Block%203%20-%20MODIFICATE%20OK/CIMG7086.jpg

• 1 year later...

This is also a new frame style i have started coming across in my quest for SS supremacy!

This is Salsa Style

Salsa Styleeeee

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a439/BuFFy-ZA/SalsaStyle.jpg

Cannot see the brake bracket ??